• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

Attachments

• 300px-LeftHandOutline.png
    300px-LeftHandOutline.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 169

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
rviboy said:

Assalamoalaikum..
I'm posting my answer what I wrote..I hope it's correct :D

In June:2010 Paper:51 Q:1 said:
In this experiment, velocity 'v' is the independent variable and the depth 'd' is the dependent variable.

The mass of the object hitting the nail must be kept constant. Also the same type of nail and wood must be used throughout.

Change the height from which the mass is falling to change the velocity, v. Use a plastic tube, so that the mass is allowed to fall vertically down at the nail. Use a set-square to ensure that the plastic tube is vertical. Use a ruler to determine the height, h. Hence use the energy conservation equation, v^2 = 2gh , to determine the velocity of the mass at the instant when it hits the nail.
Note the length of the nail at the start of the experiment using a 30cm ruler.
After the mass has hit the nail, mark the point above the wood, and hence find the length of the nail above the wood surface.

Find the difference of these two lengths to obtain the value of d.
Repeat this procedure with different heights and obtain at least six readings. Use each part of wood only once. Repeat the experiment twice for each value of d and find the average for further processing the results.
Plot the graph of log d against log v. The graph will be a straight line. (Draw a sketch of it! ) The gradient gives the value of n

Taking log of the equation d = kv^n => log d = n log v + log k

Reaction score
rviboy said:
lots of problems. someone help ...
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... _qp_11.pdf

mcqs : 8, 15, 18, 19, 27, 33, 38 . just need a short brief description . . . thanks a lot.

Question 8, draw a tangent at t=3 and find the value :)

Question 19, Young's Modulus= Stress/Strain, substitute 3*10^8/5 You get D

Question 38 would be A since a Beta particle is emitted which means to the original nuclide there'd be an addition of one proton while the number of neutrons will remain the same.

Reaction score
ohh ok doesn't matter.hope u can solve the other questions i posted if u get some time. Thanks a bunch!