• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Yes but the thing is why do they subtract 2.1 g from 16.3 g ? I need an explanation for this. How is 2.1 g related to 16 .3 g?
fusion is the change of state from solid to liquid due to this energy is released to the surrounding as the temp remain constant

Reaction score
I must be really dumb to not get this. 16.3 g of ice melted due to the energy supplied from the heater. It was switched off , 2 minutes later 2.1 g of ice melted (correct me if I am wrong, the 2.1 g of ice melted due to energy from the surroundings, right?). I do understand that the latent heat of fusion of ice does not increase the ice's temperature, rather it only changes its state. My question is why are we subtracting 2.1 g from 16.3 g? Or is it because 2.1 g of the ice is a part of the 16.3 g of the ice?

Reaction score
Ive done the refraction,reflection and diversion experiments,But ive never seen a ray box.
So that means it doesn't come in Paper 4??
Dispersion*
..how did u do the experiments? What was your light source if not the ray box ?
Yes, thats exactly what it means;)

Reaction score
Guys, question from physics CIE 0625/31/O/N/2008 , 5(c)(i)
Using a 40W heater, 16.3 g of ice is melted in 2.0 minutes. The heater is then switched off. In a further 2.0 minutes, 2.1 g of ice is melted.
Calculate the value of the specific latent heat of fusion of ice from these results.
Lf= Q /m
The energy used to melt the ice here is P *t ....which is 40 * 120 ...time converted into sec
Once u get ure energy divide it by the mass melted which is 16.3
40*120/ 16.3

Reaction score
Sorry?
But if the coil is horizontal ,so the magnetic field lines are also horizontal,Then how are they cut then?
I assume ure talking about the simple ac generator, the picture in the book that shows a coil looped into a rectanglar shape in between the two poles of the strong magnet
And they have also given the diagram of the cycle of turns ...voltage is 1 when side ab and cd are in the magnetic field, r perpendicular to the field lines here...they cut them but as side ab moves upwards ....it moves along the magnetic field so voltage is 0
I am looking for a better explanation to give u...or maybe someone can explain ...but i hope it gets cleared

Reaction score
Lf= Q /m
The energy used to melt the ice here is P *t ....which is 40 * 120 ...time converted into sec
Once u get ure energy divide it by the mass melted which is 16.3
40*120/ 16.3
No, it will give you the wrong answer. The correct answer is (40*120)/(16.3-2.1) = 338.

Reaction score
Its like when a tyre is pushed down a cliff, when it reaches the bottom of the cliff, It will have the greatest Kinetic Energy even though there is no steep road ahead of it . Same goes for the coil. You can assume that tyre on the bottom of the cliff is Coil at horizontal position. OMG I cant convey what I want to make you understand xD
Haha ,Thanks!
I understood now.
And the way you explained was awesome Tbh.

Reaction score
I assume ure talking about the simple ac generator, the picture in the book that shows a coil looped into a rectanglar shape in between the two poles of the strong magnet
And they have also given the diagram of the cycle of turns ...voltage is 1 when side ab and cd are in the magnetic field, r perpendicular to the field lines here...they cut them but as side ab moves upwards ....it moves along the magnetic field so voltage is 0
I am looking for a better explanation to give u...or maybe someone can explain ...but i hope it gets cleared
Thank you!
I understand it now:)

Reaction score
Guys!
If Im correct, I may not be the only one bored of the dark font of this website (no offense to dark colors,I actually love em) I mean Cmon its kindof less practical.
So I decided to make a Google plus community where we can discuss almost everything that we discuss here.+ There we can share pictures,PDFs and everything much more easily and its theme is quite simple and practical as well.
So it would be really cool if you join the community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109947941374570116120

Reaction score
No, it will give you the wrong answer. The correct answer is (40*120)/(16.3-2.1) = 338.
Can't be
either the question they gave is wrong or the mark scheme is wrong, it has to be a mistake and yes the examiners r humans so can make
what happens to water after the heating has stopped and in further two mins is not required
the head examiner says something else in the report, he says to subtract it with 21 something
They r prolly trying to make a fool out of us

Last edited:
Reaction score
I must be really dumb to not get this. 16.3 g of ice melted due to the energy supplied from the heater. It was switched off , 2 minutes later 2.1 g of ice melted (correct me if I am wrong, the 2.1 g of ice melted due to energy from the surroundings, right?). I do understand that the latent heat of fusion of ice does not increase the ice's temperature, rather it only changes its state. My question is why are we subtracting 2.1 g from 16.3 g? Or is it because 2.1 g of the ice is a part of the 16.3 g of the ice?
Aayan Muttaqi see will the weight of an ice and weight of water be the same? no ryt because wen its in solid form the force that holds the ice particles are strong and due to the lattice arrangement make the weight of the ice heavy n wen the change of state takes place the mass decreases coz that force of attraction btewn particle are less stronger than in ice state also energy is absorded to break the bond coz of that the mass also decreases hope am correct guy plz contribute n help this guy if there is a better ans thank you

Reaction score
My question is why are we subtracting 2.1 g from 16.3 g? Or is it because 2.1 g of the ice is a part of the 16.3 g of the ice?
i find no reason
if we subtracted 2.1 from 18.4 ( total) that would have made sense
if the 16.3g of ice melted in 4 mins then the subtraction would have made sense
and the did tell us 16.3g has melted in two mins so y reduced it to 14.2? it would contradict the first line of the ques itself
so i said earlier divide the energy with 16.3 and not 14.2

Reaction score
Aayan Muttaqi see will the weight of an ice and weight of water be the same? no ryt because wen its in solid form the force that holds the ice particles are strong and due to the lattice arrangement make the weight of the ice heavy n wen the change of state takes place the mass decreases coz that force of attraction btewn particle are less stronger than in ice state also energy is absorded to break the bond coz of that the mass also decreases hope am correct guy plz contribute n help this guy if there is a better ans thank you
yes but y r we subtracting the masses