• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi there, can someone please explain why the answer to this MCQ is C?

Butanedioic acid occurs in amber, algae, lichens, sugar cane and beets. It may be synthesised in two steps from 1,2-dibromoethane.
BrCH2CH2Br ----> X ----> HO2CCH2CH2CO2H
Which reagents could be used for this synthesis?
step 1 step 2
A HCN(g) HCl(aq)
B HCO2Na(aq) HCl(aq)
C KCN(aq/alcoholic) H2SO4(aq)
D NaOH(aq) K2Cr2O7 /H2SO4(aq)
Thanks in advance!
I don't even get the ques

Reaction score
Adeen Atif , Ayesha asif
Both of you are good at maths, right?
Can you tell me what should I do for getting a* in it
My paper is on 31st may :p
I have done only 3 year papers
The problem is , I fail to understand how questions need to be attempted
and so I get very bad marks..
So, how should I revise concepts
And improve in math :(

Yes, but I am good at vectors, functions, sequences, matrices and transformations, trigonometry, sets, geometry, probability and statistics ONLY

An average student who gets an A* in maths practices atleast 6- 10 yrs of past papers before sitting. It makes one capable of tackling the pressure and attempting all the new and weird ques they give so that will also increase your confidence

So as Adeen said …to practice, and I cannot explain any better and nicely than what she said, so practice that’s one important thing , then test yourself to see where you stand but do that after you think all the doubts and confusions regarding the concepts are clear. Note down all the mistakes u made in the paper and make sure to.. not repeat them. Keep on asking ques until u clearly get answers to all your questions. with time you will get what the ques asks u to do, manage your time effectively and u will have to put in a lot of effort and a tremendous amount of work still awaits you and keeping ure expectations low will also help and do go through the mark scheme carefully

Who do u blame now for getting those bad marks …yourself, CIE, or your teacher/tutor ? and what are the highest marks that u scored up till now

I must say now … that u should ask yourself how to improve in maths and for that matter , an improvement in anything of any type and any sort … because if there is anyone who knows your problems/confusions and your faults and flaws then it is only you . so at the end the answer to the solutions lies with you since you, know urself better how to fix those problems and upgrade the potential which had always been in you ….may Allah’s help be with you always and may He sooth your heart if ever you get frustrated.( coz maths is just another name of frustration) .Ameen

Reaction score
No worry,\
How was your exam?
I just think i didnt write enough in the 6 mark ques...otherwise i loved the paper and our variant was better and easier than v2...
there wasn't a single graph that we had to describe and there were no ques from the harder topics
and i finished the exam like 15 mins before so got time to recheck and it was all good for others too

Reaction score
I just think i didnt write enough in the 6 mark ques...otherwise i loved the paper and our variant was better and easier than v2...
there wasn't a single graph that we had to describe and there were no ques from the harder topics
and i finished the exam like 15 mins before so got time to recheck and it was all good for others too
That good! Alhumdulillah.(y)
Now we,ve got to focus on physics

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use this formula and when to use it
thermom-eq.jpg