• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Biology mcq.
The small intestines of cows are similar in general structure and function to the small intestines of
humans.
A disease in cows reduces the number of villi in their small intestines.
The cows lose weight and become weak.
What explains this?
A less amylase produced
B less peristalsis
C slower absorption of nutrients
D slower digestion of proteins
The answer is C.
The villi in the small intestine provide large surface area for faster diffusion..so when they are destroyed it results in slower absorption of nutrients.
Thankyou.
It is May/June 2014
Welcome
Ohkay

Reaction score
Biology mcq.
The small intestines of cows are similar in general structure and function to the small intestines of
humans.
A disease in cows reduces the number of villi in their small intestines.
The cows lose weight and become weak.
What explains this?
A less amylase produced
B less peristalsis
C slower absorption of nutrients
D slower digestion of proteins
Its slower absorption of nutrients.
Cuz the surface area for absorption is reduced

Reaction score
Salam,I need some help in chemistry,my Igcse just started last month btw :p,please tell me whats chromatography/fractional distillation/subblimation keeping in mind that I'm a new IGCSE student.Thanks alot :)

Reaction score
Salam,I need some help in chemistry,my Igcse just started last month btw :p,please tell me whats chromatography/fractional distillation/subblimation keeping in mind that I'm a new IGCSE student.Thanks alot :)
Chromatography is a method of separating a mixture. It's usually done for separating dyes. To do it, take a filter paper, and add a drop of the mixture on it. Place the filter paper into a beaker of water so that a part of the paper is dipped in water, but the drop of mixture isn't. Water will naturally soak through the paper. When it comes in contact with the mixture, based on solubility of the constituents, the mixture will separate.
upload_2015-10-3_13-55-1.jpeg
In many cases, we want to compare various mixtures to see if they have any common constituents between them. To do that, you need to take a filter paper, draw a horizontal pencil line on it (pencil because the graphite "lead" doesn't dissolve in water) and put a dot for each mixture side by side. The paper should be then dipped into a beaker of water (only the part lower than the pencil line should be in contact with water!). Water will naturally soak the paper, moving upwards. When it meets the mixtures, they will separate as mentioned before. If the mixtures being compared contain one or more of the same constituents, they can be identified by seeing if they moved up the paper the same distance.
upload_2015-10-3_13-56-38.jpeg
In this picture, you can see that the two mixtures both contained the blue and the green parts, but each had a separate substance of their own.

Fractional distillation is another method of separation. This one's usually done on a mixture of liquids each with different boiling points. The idea is to steadily heat and increase the temperature of the mixture, so that each liquid can separately boil and be led somewhere, where they are condensed and removed. This way all the liquids may be extracted.

upload_2015-10-3_14-32-9.jpeg

Sublimation is simply the conversation of solid to gas directly by heating. Normally we'd expect it to turn to liquid first, but for reasons you will find out later, some substances directly turn to gas instead. An example is iodine, which is a grey-black solid, that sublimates upon heating to form purple vapour.

upload_2015-10-3_14-42-43.jpeg

In this picture, iodine solid is heated to form gas, which is then cooled down using a test tube of ice, causing it to "freeze" back into solid.

Homework question: what's gas to solid change called? (the one I referred to as "freeze") :p

Reaction score
Chromatography is a method of separating a mixture. It's usually done for separating dyes. To do it, take a filter paper, and add a drop of the mixture on it. Place the filter paper into a beaker of water so that a part of the paper is dipped in water, but the drop of mixture isn't. Water will naturally soak through the paper. When it comes in contact with the mixture, based on solubility of the constituents, the mixture will separate.
View attachment 57141
In many cases, we want to compare various mixtures to see if they have any common constituents between them. To do that, you need to take a filter paper, draw a horizontal pencil line on it (pencil because the graphite "lead" doesn't dissolve in water) and put a dot for each mixture side by side. The paper should be then dipped into a beaker of water (only the part lower than the pencil line should be in contact with water!). Water will naturally soak the paper, moving upwards. When it meets the mixtures, they will separate as mentioned before. If the mixtures being compared contain one or more of the same constituents, they can be identified by seeing if they moved up the paper the same distance.
View attachment 57142
In this picture, you can see that the two mixtures both contained the blue and the green parts, but each had a separate substance of their own.

Fractional distillation is another method of separation. This one's usually done on a mixture of liquids each with different boiling points. The idea is to steadily heat and increase the temperature of the mixture, so that each liquid can separately boil and be led somewhere, where they are condensed and removed. This way all the liquids may be extracted.

View attachment 57144

Sublimation is simply the conversation of solid to gas directly by heating. Normally we'd expect it to turn to liquid first, but for reasons you will find out later, some substances directly turn to gas instead. An example is iodine, which is a grey-black solid, that sublimates upon heating to form purple vapour.

View attachment 57145

In this picture, iodine solid is heated to form gas, which is then cooled down using a test tube of ice, causing it to "freeze" back into solid.

Homework question: what's gas to solid change called? (the one I referred to as "freeze") :p

Thanks alot man JazakAllahuKhairan :)

Reaction score
12087010_1189347801091969_794617551_n.jpg

Can anyone explain me this question.

ANY HELP WILL BE HIGHLY APPERICIATED!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

Reaction score
12087010_1189347801091969_794617551_n.jpg

Can anyone explain me this question.

ANY HELP WILL BE HIGHLY APPERICIATED!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)
The question asks about the advantage of transmitting electricity at a high voltage.
The thing is that high voltages improve efficiency by reducing heat loss in the power cables.This basically means that less energy is lost.

So the answer will be C.

Reaction score
The question asks about the advantage of transmitting electricity at a high voltage.
The thing is that high voltages improve efficiency by reducing heat loss in the power cables.This basically means that less energy is lost.

So the answer will be C.
Thanks for your reply.
on the other hand,high voltage could speed up current so that electricity might be transmitted faster. (As voltage is the one pushing the current).

Reaction score
hey . ive just started chemistry and bio and physics can anyone please give me some notes to make it easy for me to study them.

Reaction score
are there any question on biology igcse classified question
if yes please, can anyone supply me with the link :)

Reaction score
hey . ive just started chemistry and bio and physics can anyone please give me some notes to make it easy for me to study them.
Here and here are links to notes thread,I'm not sure if all the links are working.Just choose what you like and download.
I hope that helps.