• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
total force downwards = 90N

let tension in one wire to be 'p'
and other 'q'

distance of p from the center = 100
distance of q =200

ratio is 1:2

as the support the total wieght of 90 N.
combine tension of the wires will be 90N.

q will have a greater moment being further away, so I think it is:

p=30N
q=60N

Reaction score
total force downwards = 90N

let tension in one wire to be 'p'
and other 'q'

distance of p from the center = 100
distance of q =200

ratio is 1:2

as the support the total wieght of 90 N.
combine tension of the wires will be 90N.

q will have a greater moment being further away, so I think it is:

p=30N
q=60N

Hi again Anon.....Ive been seein u around lately....
Now cn u also solve this problem for me pls????? ^-^
A uniform metre ruleof weight 0.9N is suspended horizontally by 2 vertical loops of thread A and B placed at 20cm and 30cm from its ends respectively. Find the distances from the centre of the rule at which a 2N weight must be suspended:
i) to make loop A become slack
ii) to make loop B become slack

Reaction score
is Antimony a metalloid ? I've looked it up in many places i got different answers but most of the websites said its a metalloid ....my teacher doesnt agree ....so is it or is it not ? thanks :)

Reaction score
A very simple question from me... What is the difference between evaporation and crystallisation... What does one method offer that the other does not? I'm posing this question because both methods of separation seem to satisfy the same objective: extracting a dissolved substance from a solution...

Reaction score
A very simple question from me... What is the difference between evaporation and crystallisation... What does one method offer that the other does not? I'm posing this question because both methods of separation seem to satisfy the same objective: extracting a dissolved substance from a solution...
in crystallisation you heat the solution then cool it down quickly ,this makes the molecules of the salt bind some water molecules around them forming crystals
in evaporation ,u remove all the water , so the salt is like a powder .also if you heated a crystallised salt ,you'll remove the water of crystallisation and it turns to powder.
yes, both are ways of extracting substances from solutions ,but evaporation can be done when the substance don't dissolve in the solution ,but for crystallisation to occur the substance has to dissolve in the solvent

Reaction score
in crystallisation you heat the solution then cool it down quickly ,this makes the molecules of the salt bind some water molecules around them forming crystals
in evaporation ,u remove all the water , so the salt is like a powder .also if you heated a crystallised salt ,you'll remove the water of crystallisation and it turns to powder.
yes, both are ways of extracting substances from solutions ,but evaporation can be done when the substance don't dissolve in the solution ,but for crystallisation to occur the substance has to dissolve in the solvent
yes u r right.

Reaction score
Pls help me solve this question:cry:
I know its rather hard but just tell me what you think is right please...
A uniform metre rule of weight 0.9N is suspended horizontally by 2 vertical loops of thread A and B placed at 20cm and 30cm from its ends respectively. Find the distances from the centre of the rule at which a 2N weight must be suspended:
i) to make loop A become slack
ii) to make loop B become slack

Reaction score
Chemistry:
Q: Suggest a reson 4 only 'roughly' twice as much hydrogen gas being produced at the cathode as oxygen gass at the anode in the electrolysis of water.
Q: During da electrolysis of molten aluminium chloride (AlCl3) the carbon anodes r burned away. Explain why dis shud hapen n write a balanced chemical equation 4 da reactions dat take place.
Thanx!

Reaction score
Chemistry:
Q: Suggest a reson 4 only 'roughly' twice as much hydrogen gas being produced at the cathode as oxygen gass at the anode in the electrolysis of water.
Q: During da electrolysis of molten aluminium chloride (AlCl3) the carbon anodes r burned away. Explain why dis shud hapen n write a balanced chemical equation 4 da reactions dat take place.
Thanx!

Q1: H+ ions are attracted to d cathode while OH- ions are attracted to the anode. All the hydrogen is released at the cathode but sum of the OH- ions r used to form water along wid the O2! Therefore, almost double de amount of H2 iz produced dan d amount of O2!
u can see dis frm da eqn:
Cathode:
2H+ + 2e- gives H2
Anode:
4OH- gives 2H2O +O2 + 4e-

Q2: i thinku mistook Aluminium OXIDE for CHLORIDE! cuz den o2 iz released at such a high temperature the carbon anode reacts with the oxygen to form CO2 and escape as gas......thrfor they hav to be replace frequently!

Reaction score
No it is aluminium chloride in the book.
aluminium oxide (bauxite) is used in the manufacture of Al bt dis is diferent!

Reaction score
No it is aluminium chloride in the book.
aluminium oxide (bauxite) is used in the manufacture of Al bt dis is diferent!

wel, if dats da case den the the chlorine produced reacts wid da carbon to form carbon tetrachloride:

C + 2Cl2 gives CCl4 ....which is a gas due to high temp!