• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pakistan Studies, Clear my doubts here :p

Reaction score
Guyz I will be glad if anyone can review and mark my answer, I will be Damn Happy to see how I stand!

It is Q3 from MJ 2012

1. Read the source below carefully to answer question (a)

Allama Iqbal was a politician who believed in the need for Muslims to struggle for the establishment of a separate country for themselves. He believed that Hindus and Muslims were two nations who should have separate states. Chaudri Rehmat Ali also rose to prominence at this time.

(a) Who was Chaudhry Rehmat Ali [4]

(b) Why the Cripps Mission of 1942 failed [7]

(c) ‘The main reason why Congress rule (1937–1939) was so hated was because of the introduction of the Wardha Scheme.’ Do you agree? Explain your answer [14]

(a) Chaudhry Rehmat Ali was born in 1895. He studied in Govt. College Lahore, and Practiced Law in England. He also attended Round-Table Conference in 1929-1932. Since 1930s his point of view was sovereign homeland for Muslims of the ‘British-India’, which was quite advanced point at that time, even Jinnah were not ready for that. In 1933, Chaudhry Rehmat Ali wrote pamphlet ‘Now or Never’, which also is credited for containing the name ‘Pakistan’.

(b) An attempt by British Govt. to take the support of Indians in World War II was shown in form of Cripps Mission in 1942.British Govt. realized they need to protect minority interests. It can be seen that British were ready to make concessions as the mission proposed after world war new constitution would be created by constituent Assembly, for which elections would be held immediately after the War. After war “Indian Union” would be set up, from which there is option to opt out as Independent State. However, this was not quite enough for either Muslims League or Congress. Congress rejected Cripps Mission and demanded full Independence. While Muslim League reject because it contained no reference to ‘Establishment of Pakistan’. It is interesting to see that, however, it contained option to opt out of Indian Union. Gandhi called it ‘Post-Dated Cheque on failing bank’. So, it was quite failing.

(c) After the 1937 election, Congress rose as rulers in British-India. The rule of Congress [1937-39] was so hated that it was known as ‘Congress Tyranny’ among most Muslims. One of the reasons it was called tyranny was Wardha Scheme, which was education scheme, stated, no reference to religious studies in Schools. It also included spinning cotton by Hand and bow the picture of Gandhi, before everyday school starts by every student. Which feared Muslims that it is the attempt to change Muslim kids from religion to Hinduism. Which resulted as anger and demonstrations of Muslims.

However, it is not the only fact that contributes to such resentment of Muslims. Muslims were stopped and irritated during their religious practices by Hindus. Songs were played in loud voice during pray time, they were not allowed to eat cows/beef. And they were given harsh punishments if the slaughter cows.

Not only this, schemes such as Bande Matram was to be sing before everyday assembly start. This caused serious resentment to Muslims. Not only because it was Hindi, also because it was quite threat to Islamic Religion. The Muslims showed serious demonstration all over the country. However, it was not until 1939 when Congress resigned, Muslims celebrated it under the name of ‘Day of Deliverance’.

It can be seen that Wardha Scheme was huge resentment to Muslims, however it was not only factory that contributed to the ‘Congress Tyranny”

thanks in Advance
Asad
***amd***, attach relevant friends

Reaction score
Guyz I will be glad if anyone can review and mark my answer, I will be Damn Happy to see how I stand!

It is Q3 from MJ 2012

1. Read the source below carefully to answer question (a)

Allama Iqbal was a politician who believed in the need for Muslims to struggle for the establishment of a separate country for themselves. He believed that Hindus and Muslims were two nations who should have separate states. Chaudri Rehmat Ali also rose to prominence at this time.

(a) Who was Chaudhry Rehmat Ali [4]

(b) Why the Cripps Mission of 1942 failed [7]

(c) ‘The main reason why Congress rule (1937–1939) was so hated was because of the introduction of the Wardha Scheme.’ Do you agree? Explain your answer [14]

(a) Chaudhry Rehmat Ali was born in 1895. He studied in Govt. College Lahore, and Practiced Law in England. He also attended Round-Table Conference in 1929-1932. Since 1930s his point of view was sovereign homeland for Muslims of the ‘British-India’, which was quite advanced point at that time, even Jinnah were not ready for that. In 1933, Chaudhry Rehmat Ali wrote pamphlet ‘Now or Never’, which also is credited for containing the name ‘Pakistan’.

(b) An attempt by British Govt. to take the support of Indians in World War II was shown in form of Cripps Mission in 1942.British Govt. realized they need to protect minority interests. It can be seen that British were ready to make concessions as the mission proposed after world war new constitution would be created by constituent Assembly, for which elections would be held immediately after the War. After war “Indian Union” would be set up, from which there is option to opt out as Independent State. However, this was not quite enough for either Muslims League or Congress. Congress rejected Cripps Mission and demanded full Independence. While Muslim League reject because it contained no reference to ‘Establishment of Pakistan’. It is interesting to see that, however, it contained option to opt out of Indian Union. Gandhi called it ‘Post-Dated Cheque on failing bank’. So, it was quite failing.

(c) After the 1937 election, Congress rose as rulers in British-India. The rule of Congress [1937-39] was so hated that it was known as ‘Congress Tyranny’ among most Muslims. One of the reasons it was called tyranny was Wardha Scheme, which was education scheme, stated, no reference to religious studies in Schools. It also included spinning cotton by Hand and bow the picture of Gandhi, before everyday school starts by every student. Which feared Muslims that it is the attempt to change Muslim kids from religion to Hinduism. Which resulted as anger and demonstrations of Muslims.

However, it is not the only fact that contributes to such resentment of Muslims. Muslims were stopped and irritated during their religious practices by Hindus. Songs were played in loud voice during pray time, they were not allowed to eat cows/beef. And they were given harsh punishments if the slaughter cows.

Not only this, schemes such as Bande Matram was to be sing before everyday assembly start. This caused serious resentment to Muslims. Not only because it was Hindi, also because it was quite threat to Islamic Religion. The Muslims showed serious demonstration all over the country. However, it was not until 1939 when Congress resigned, Muslims celebrated it under the name of ‘Day of Deliverance’.

It can be seen that Wardha Scheme was huge resentment to Muslims, however it was not only factory that contributed to the ‘Congress Tyranny”

thanks in Advance
Asad
***amd***, attach relevant friends
Asad, yaar dont create numerous threads when there is already one. That thread has got sticky and yet everyone can take help from whatever you ask there.
Faizan Muhammmad
Gohar Awais

Reaction score
Couple of things to start of with:

a) The question specifically asks you "who" Chaudary Rehmat was. So mentioning the birth date and where he studied early on is insignificant in my opinion. Instead, you can start of with something along the lines of "Chaudary Rehmat Ali was one of the earliest advocates of the creation of a sovereign homeland for the Muslims of British India. He presented his ideology in his famous pamphlet 'Now or Never, Are We to Live or Perish Forever" along with the name 'Pakistan' for the Muslim homeland. As such, he is credited as being one of the lynch pins of the Pakistan Movement, despite his idea being ahead of his time which inadvertently put him at odds with some of the other Muslim political leaders such as Jinnah". It's not perfect but you can polish it up a bit.

b) This particular question does not require, and mind you, even have, any thorough and lengthy answers. However an important thing to remember is that in a 7 marks question, always mention 3 reasons in 3 separate paragraphs. Now the question asks 'Why' the Cripps mission failed. When you ask yourself that, it's apparent that the main reason for it's failure was it's rejection by the League and Congress. So the question is really asking, Why did the League and Congress reject it. For that you can go about it this way:

Paragraph 1: (No introduction. Don't waste your time on intro's.) The Cripps mission was sent by the British to show that they were willing to negotiate and grant concessions to the Indians but in retrospect, it was a badly planned attempt to placate Congress and the League in return for temporary wartime support and therefore, proved mightily unsuccessful. Congress rejected the proposals put forward because it was opposed to the right given to provinces to opt out of the Indian Union because it felt this indirectly supported the idea of partition. Moreover, Congress was also mistrustful of the British to keep their promises. They had made similar promises in the First World War but had failed to live up to them.

Paragraph 2: Congress also demanded immediate control of India and was not prepared to wait until the end of the war. Because of the mistrust that had cropped up between the British and Indians, Congress again felt that the British would not deliver and their rejection of Congress demands further elevated this idea in the minds of the Indians. This is why Gandhi referred to the proposals as a 'post dated cheque on failing bank'.

Paragraph 3: The Muslim League too made a flat rejection of the proposals because they contained no reference to the establishment of Pakistan and with the elections of (1937 ? Sorry, typing this from memory) having already established it as the sole representative of the Indian Muslims, it was prepared to accept nothing but partition at this point. Having failed to satisfy the demands of the major Indian political parties, the Cripps Mission failed.

Whoosh. I have too much free time. ( I don't :( )

c) In a 14 mark question, you give a total of 7 reasons similar to the answer I typed above. Yes, that means 7 paragraphs of answers. Ideally, this is what you should be looking to accomplish but 5 or 6 well written points can give you 13-14 marks easy. But mind you, WELL WRITTEN answers. Now I am not going to type the whole answer but I'll give you the points:

1- Wardha Scheme: Same points you mentioned. Try to give as many details as possible.
2- Bande Matram
3- Harassment of Muslims i.e desecration of mosques, violence projected towards Muslims etc etc.
4- Another scheme was the Vidya Mandir scheme under which schools were opened in Hindu temples where Muslim children were taught that their ancestors were the plunders and usurper of India.
5- Congress used a flag which had the Union Jack (British blue background red lines stuff thing) with the Indian flag. This was meant to signify that there were only 2 communities in India. You know the rest.
6- Congress refused to cooperate with Muslim ministries in Muslim majority provinces.
7- (Not sure) Hindi was enforced as the official language.

If anyone read this and benefited from this, you could do me a small favor by signing up on the link below. Thankyou.

Reaction score

a) The question specifically asks you "who" Chaudary Rehmat was. So mentioning the birth date and where he studied early on is insignificant in my opinion. Instead, you can start of with something along the lines of "Chaudary Rehmat Ali was one of the earliest advocates of the creation of a sovereign homeland for the Muslims of British India. He presented his ideology in his famous pamphlet 'Now or Never, Are We to Live or Perish Forever" along with the name 'Pakistan' for the Muslim homeland. As such, he is credited as being one of the lynch pins of the Pakistan Movement, despite his idea being ahead of his time which inadvertently put him at odds with some of the other Muslim political leaders such as Jinnah". It's not perfect but you can polish it up a bit.

b) This particular question does not require, and mind you, even have, any thorough and lengthy answers. However an important thing to remember is that in a 7 marks question, always mention 3 reasons in 3 separate paragraphs. Now the question asks 'Why' the Cripps mission failed. When you ask yourself that, it's apparent that the main reason for it's failure was it's rejection by the League and Congress. So the question is really asking, Why did the League and Congress reject it. For that you can go about it this way:

Paragraph 1: (No introduction. Don't waste your time on intro's.) The Cripps mission was sent by the British to show that they were willing to negotiate and grant concessions to the Indians but in retrospect, it was a badly planned attempt to placate Congress and the League in return for temporary wartime support and therefore, proved mightily unsuccessful. Congress rejected the proposals put forward because it was opposed to the right given to provinces to opt out of the Indian Union because it felt this indirectly supported the idea of partition. Moreover, Congress was also mistrustful of the British to keep their promises. They had made similar promises in the First World War but had failed to live up to them.

Paragraph 2: Congress also demanded immediate control of India and was not prepared to wait until the end of the war. Because of the mistrust that had cropped up between the British and Indians, Congress again felt that the British would not deliver and their rejection of Congress demands further elevated this idea in the minds of the Indians. This is why Gandhi referred to the proposals as a 'post dated cheque on failing bank'.

Paragraph 3: The Muslim League too made a flat rejection of the proposals because they contained no reference to the establishment of Pakistan and with the elections of (1937 ? Sorry, typing this from memory) having already established it as the sole representative of the Indian Muslims, it was prepared to accept nothing but partition at this point. Having failed to satisfy the demands of the major Indian political parties, the Cripps Mission failed.

c) In a 14 mark question, you give a total of 7 reasons similar to the answer I typed above. Yes, that means 7 paragraphs of answers. Ideally, this is what you should be looking to accomplish but 5 or 6 well written points can give you 13-14 marks easy. But mind you, WELL WRITTEN answers. Now I am not going to type the whole answer but I'll give you the points:

1- Wardha Scheme: Same points you mentioned. Try to give as many details as possible.
2- Bande Matram
3- Harassment of Muslims i.e desecration of mosques, violence projected towards Muslims etc etc.
4- Another scheme was the Vidya Mandir scheme under which schools were opened in Hindu temples where Muslim children were taught that their ancestors were the plunders and usurper of India.
5- Congress used a flag which had the Union Jack (British blue background red lines stuff thing) with the Indian flag. This was meant to signify that there were only 2 communities in India. You know the rest.
6- Congress refused to cooperate with Muslim ministries in Muslim majority provinces.

If anyone read this and benefited from this, you could do me a small favor by signing up on the link below. Thankyou.
You are helpful bro, thanks

Reaction score

2- Bande Matram

Better if you just wrap it up by giving me marks

thanks

Reaction score

2- Bande Matram

So when they ask us about someone in a 4 mark question, for example, like this;
Who was -------? (4)
Then we are not required to give personal info, like place of birth, etc. but rather a summary of his major achievements?

Reaction score
Better if you just wrap it up by giving me marks

thanks

Well, not the sort of Thank you you'd expect after typing a 20 minute long post but alas....
a) 3/4
b) 4/7
c) I imagine this is just the starting of your answer which, apart from some grammatical errors and a minute lack of additional details, is fine. If you could elaborate the points I mentioned in a similar manner, you could expect upwards of 12.

Reaction score
So when they ask us about someone in a 4 mark question, for example, like this;
Who was -------? (4)
Then we are not required to give personal info, like place of birth, etc. but rather a summary of his major achievements?

That depends on the question but when you're specifically asked "Who" a person is, I believe that the persons accomplishments/failures/major events of his life are what actually define him as a person. But that does not mean you don't include any details. This is where the source comes into play in a 4 mark question. If you see the source, it's basic theme is the 2-homeland theory (what da ya call it ? Recalling this from memory) and since this was where Rehmat Ali made his most significant contribution to the Pakistan movement, the crux of your answer will be centred along this particular achievement of his. So, read the source carefully to understand specifically what you have to write.

Reaction score
Well, not the sort of Thank you you'd expect after typing a 20 minute long post but alas....
a) 3/4
b) 4/7
c) I imagine this is just the starting of your answer which, apart from some grammatical errors and a minute lack of additional details, is fine. If you could elaborate the points I mentioned in a similar manner, you could expect upwards of 12.
Thanks bro