• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pak Studies, Islamiyat O Level, IGCSE

Reaction score
14/14 and 10/10 are notoriously hard to get, most get stuck at 6/14 - they fail to 'explain' - and those who do, do not elaborate their answer much to be considered as a sound explanation. I'll attach another example too:
(d)Was the work of the Christian missionaries the most important reason why the Indians opposed British attempts to westernise them between 1750 and 1850? Explain your answer. [10]
first para: Christian missionaries......forcefull conversions......british incentives to new hindu converts.....and further other religious interference!
2nd para: political reasons......land annexation policy....doctrine of lapse...
3rd para: social reasons.....encouraging western education.......replacement of local langs.....
4th para: military reasons.... hindus didnt want land expansion to afg...muslims didnt want to fight against their fellow muslims in afg....disbandement of armies of local annexed states....unemployeement...int of greased cartriges lee enfield rifle replaced the brown muscat!
5h para: an effective conclusion or judgement

Reaction score
s
Zaeem, I can, in the same way, explain the Khutabat-i-Ahmadiya, the Madrasatul Ulum Mussalmanan-i-Hind , write about asbab-i-baghawat-i-hind, the muhammedan defense association alone in 3 pages, but remember that we are at o level, and NOT doing a css exam. So, even if a thing is important, you are NOT expected to write EVERYTHING you know, this isn't matriculation.
sorry bro ....u r right in my quest of writing a flawless and a perfect answer I just forgot time management! u r utterly right!

Reaction score
s
800+ words in 12-14 minutes is unmanageable imo
i am a freak i am sorry! told u na in my quest of writing a perfect answer i forgot this! time management!
agaain take me as a very average student I am not very good in studies but as cies are getting closer I am, u know, I am giving time to studies so just posted some of queries and thanks again for all the answers!

Reaction score
To clarify, I am a student, and those 'marked' answers were taken from ecr and the cie site. So, one can't really complain about those... Here's what the examiner wrote on this:
"The candidate began their accurate and well-argued response by describing the ways in which Sir Syed Ahmad Khan attempted to achieve a better understanding with the British. This part of the response was able to achieve the maximum mark within Level 3. The candidate then went on to discuss further contributions made to the Muslim cause by Sir Syed, which were well explained and evaluated. Overall the resulting mark achieved was the maximum within Level 4. This was an excellent answer, demonstrating authoritative knowledge and a clear understanding of the question. "

And furthermore, just a sincere advise, you are NOT expected to list EVERY POSSIBLE contribution of Sir Syed. Thus, an answer which 'explains' several reasons is above than one which just, mercilessly, describes them. The answer is level 4, but TOO LONG to be managed in mere 12-14 mins. I see that you have proceeded in levels, which is just wastage of time. Like in the 1860 pamphlet you wrote, you first stated, then described and then evaluated, which becomes TOO verbose imo. But you are free to go as you want; after all, I am a student and not a mentor :)
bro u took those answers from where? can u give me a link for that? so that i can forward that to my school teacher and educate her on the matter of marking! plz? that would be insanely great if those are from official cie site!

Reaction score
i palnned and though for about 10 mins and then i am writing this I can write on battle of plassey, its outcomes battle of buxar its outcomes then mysore wars annexation of dehli.....punjab....nwfp..... defeat of marathas.....and doctrine of lapse... these are all I can remember!

The doctrine of lapse is irrelevant (notice the timeline) :). And these are the successes :) You are a competent candidate as far as I can say. Remember to consider the failures as well in your final answer. Best wishes

Reaction score
first para: Christian missionaries......forcefull conversions......british incentives to new hindu converts.....and further other religious interference!
2nd para: political reasons......land annexation policy....doctrine of lapse...
3rd para: social reasons.....encouraging western education.......replacement of local langs.....
4th para: military reasons.... hindus didnt want land expansion to afg...muslims didnt want to fight against their fellow muslims in afg....disbandement of armies of local annexed states....unemployeement...int of greased cartriges lee enfield rifle replaced the brown muscat!
5h para: an effective conclusion or judgement

I see the mistakes you have done there. They are only a few, don't worry. Firstly, as I said, the timeline, - NO doctrine of lapse. Secondly, you have made the mistake of connecting this mistake to the 'war of independence' which is NOT what the question demands. The reason I am saying is due to the greased catridge incident you mentioned - it is well beyond 1850 and NOT a type of westernisation. The political, social, military 'reasons' are again, sadly, linking to the WOI - NOT the aim of the question. This is an extremely risky move, since the examiner comment reads:
"However some candidates produced vast descriptions of events in Question 1(d), rather than make their answers relevant to the question...answers were not as good. The question required candidates to explain attempts to westernise Indians between 1750 and 1850. The question focused on westernisation and not on the causes of the War of Independence which many candidates turned their answers into, thereby gaining little credit. It was rare to get a good answer on why the Indians opposed the work of missionaries. It was insufficient to say that the Indians resented British attempts to westernise them through the work of missionaries or the introduction of education without explaining why they did so. Equally, any other factors given, such as the building of railways, needed to be related to westernisation and also to reasons why Indians resented this growth."

As you see, there is little credit for tilting the answer to the War. Hope I helped :)

Reaction score
Here's what the marking scheme got to say:
"Christian missionaries came to India to convert the local population as well as to set up schools. In these schools the missionaries taught Christianity and expected local religions to be given up which was resented by Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs alike. However, there were other reasons why the Indians opposed the British attempts to westernise them. The replacement of Persian and Sanskrit by English as the official language in the 1830s deeply upset both the Muslims and Hindus. This had the potential to threaten their languages. A number of social reforms had been imposed by the British without consultation or care for local feeling which caused much unrest. Indians had to send their children to co-educational schools which was hated since it appeared to impose the British system on the Indians without due regard to their religious and cultural feelings. Thomas Macaulay believed that European ideas of education were vastly superior to anything coming out of India and, as a result, the British imposed a system of education that promoted western values on a people who resented this interference. They were also forced to abandon purdha which had been an Indian custom for centuries. In 1795 the killing of baby daughters was declared to be murder, but the British found difficulty in enforcing this as it was again a tradition practised in many parts of India. Suttee, the ritual burning of Indian women on the funeral pyres of their husbands was also banned by the British, first in Bengal and then in the rest of the country. Although the British had been reluctant to get involved in banning this practice, there was little opposition to the outlawing of it ."

This marking scheme is based heavily on Nigel Smith's book, where you will be able to find the complete text in Chapter Two - in the changes/westernisation part.