• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

October,November,2012 Maths Examination.

Reaction score
Are you serious?! No fair... :(
yeah!! I was like :D. At first they stopped the examination for about 15 minutes, and they gave an additional time of 1/2 an hour. You can imagine the situation...... NO ANSWER SHEET IN MATHS EXAM!!

Reaction score
I will take P1 exam on 17th oct. and S1 on 5th Nov. anybody will take the same exam? what's your schedule guys?
Well maybe u're doing another variant because in different countries and variants differ and so does the dates for the exams...

Reaction score
So you got the answer? What about the third part of the same question? Did you get 35.something? And..the 4th question... the curve 4y=x^2 and the line y=(k/x)+k that is tangent to it at point P, find k and P. How do you do that? did you use the X-intercept and Y-intercept to find gradient,then x and then k?

Yea you get 35.something for the third part of the question.
For the 4th question wasn't the question with curve 4y=x^2 and line y=(x/k) +k?

Reaction score
Please tell me you are being sarcastic !
Questions were easy but some were quite tricky which obviously made the paper tough. You can take the first part of the last question, the solution was very simple, it would just take a simple logic to solve it, but many of us failed to do it. Exam pressure could also be the reason behind this.

Reaction score
Questions were easy but some were quite tricky which obviously made the paper tough. You can take the first part of the last question, the solution was very simple, it would just take a simple logic to solve it, but many of us failed to do it. Exam pressure could also be the reason behind this.
I totally agree with u !! coz it's true!!

Reaction score
yeah!! I was like :D. At first they stopped the examination for about 15 minutes, and they gave an additional time of 1/2 an hour. You can imagine the situation...... NO ANSWER SHEET IN MATHS EXAM!!
We got 10 minutes extra, but the teacher kept shouting,“Oh my God! Give the papers! The time is up!“ lol XP

Reaction score
Yes i was....sorry, human error

I think i did something like this :

(x^2)/4= x/k + k
k(x^2)= 4x + 4k^2

k(x^2) - 4x - 4k^2=0

the discriminant of his should equal zero cus a tangent intersects the curve at one spot therefore

(-4)^2 - 4(k)(-4k^2) = 0
16+16k^3=0
k^3 = -16/16
k^3= -1
so k= -1

something like that

Reaction score
I think i did something like this :

(x^2)/4= x/k + k
k(x^2)= 4x + 4k^2

k(x^2) - 4x - 4k^2=0

the discriminant of his should equal zero cus a tangent intersects the curve at one spot therefore

(-4)^2 - 4(k)(-4k^2) = 0
16+16k^3=0
k^3 = -16/16
k^3= -1
so k= -1

something like that
hey bro how many marks will i get if have done
(x^2)/4= x/k + k
k(x^2)= 4x + 4k^2

k(x^2) - 4x - 4k^2=0

(-4)^2 - 4(k)(-4k^2) = 0
correct and den did some mistake and my value of k is wrong

Reaction score
Yea I got how to do the last one as soon as i left the exam room < soooooo annoying. The line of the sector was a tangent to the circle so the radius of the circle (x) would make a 90 degree angle with the radius of the sector ( that was 20 cm in length ) so you could use sin of (1.2/2) =(x/20-x) and then if you went from there you got x = 7.218 and then after that the rest of the question would have been easy. hate that my brain freezes under pressure :(. But other than that question how did people find the paper ?
what about the one where they asked you to find k where AB is a unit vector?
(ii) 2cos2y=3tan2y...did u use the formula 2cos2y=1-2sin^2 y ..or use the earlier quadratic equ in (i)?

Reaction score
hey bro how many marks will i get if have done
(x^2)/4= x/k + k
k(x^2)= 4x + 4k^2

k(x^2) - 4x - 4k^2=0

(-4)^2 - 4(k)(-4k^2) = 0
correct and den did some mistake and my value of k is wrong

Hey well i am not really a bro , more like a bro"det (girl), and i would say if the question was out of 4 then minimum number of marks they would give you is 2 but hey just a student so i wouldn't really know. But you got the main part of the question right

Reaction score
what about the one where they asked you to find k where AB is a unit vector?
(ii) 2cos2y=3tan2y...did u use the formula 2cos2y=1-2sin^2 y ..or use the earlier quadratic equ in (i)?

I think you are talking about 2 different questions, but the vector one :
they gave OA and OB so you could find AB in terms of k by using OB - OA= AB

And then once you got that you said the magnitude of that must equal 1 cuss the definition of a unit vector is hat its length is = 1
so then you could find k quite simply.

For the other question with 2cosx=3tanx
you expressit as a quadratic in sin

2 ( cosx)^2 = 3sinx
2( 1- ( sinx)^2) -3sinx=0
2(sinx)^2+3sinx - 2=0

then for the second part you just sub x with 2y and get
2(sin2y)^2+3sin2y-2=0
so sin2y= 0.5 and sin2y cant = -2
so sin2y = 0.5 only
then 2y=30
2y= 150