• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

O LEVEL URDU FIRST LANGUAGE (SYLLABUS A)

Reaction score
hello everyone......

its just that i.m appearing for Urdu A this season....can anyone please tell me about the pattern , recommended books and notes etc......

It would be a great help indeed..

Reaction score
Basically, there are 2 papers.

Paper 1: This has 2 unseen passages that are related to each other in a way, for example one is on western traffic conditions and other on Pakistani traffic conditions. The first question will always be a comparison within in 250 words. You compare western and eastern traffic conditions. First, you list down one passage's points, then the other's. Remember to use the last 100 words to write YOUR OWN thoughts. Always write the total word number at the end.
The second question is either an essay, speech, letter or dialogue. For example, with the above passage our teacher told us to write a letter to a newspaper editor about the bad state of traffic in Pakistan. Again, you are to write within 250 words. There isn't any fixed book, but you could try "Urdu Reading and Writing - O Level" by Haseeb Publishers, written by Mubashar Azeez and Maajid Mushtaq for samples.

Paper 2: This is the literature paper. First, you have poetry and then prose. Poetry has 2 sections - ghazal and nazam. The first question of each part is a passage-based question with 2 parts. The second is always a 25 mark essay question. Same goes for prose, but it has three sections - mazameen, Maratal Aroos and Dastak na Do. To be honest, our school doesn't teach us Maratal Aroos and Dastak na Do because you can attempt the paper by only doing the poetry and mazameen. Even in poetry, you either do the ghazals and nazams. SO MUCH CHOICE! You always choose one essay and one passage based question. If you do essay from poetry, you MUST do the passage based from prose. Only 2 questions are to be done. The essay is a critical analysis of the writer or poet's work.
The best book would be 'O Level Urdu Nisaab' by Dr Saleem Akhtar, published by Sang-e-Meel. It only has the poems and mazameen, but that is all you need to do. I've seen people get world distinctions by only studying these two.

Also, don't attempt this subject by yourself unless you're a literary genius and an Urdu mastermind because there is a lot of depth in some topics, like the afsana Badal in the mazameen and the need to have knowledge of a poet's life and style and stuff. If you want, I could give you the name of the best Urdu teacher ever, if you live in Lahore. Her notes are amazing, too.

Phew, that was a lot. Cheerio!

Reaction score
Basically, there are 2 papers.

Paper 1: This has 2 unseen passages that are related to each other in a way, for example one is on western traffic conditions and other on Pakistani traffic conditions. The first question will always be a comparison within in 250 words. You compare western and eastern traffic conditions. First, you list down one passage's points, then the other's. Remember to use the last 100 words to write YOUR OWN thoughts. Always write the total word number at the end.
The second question is either an essay, speech, letter or dialogue. For example, with the above passage our teacher told us to write a letter to a newspaper editor about the bad state of traffic in Pakistan. Again, you are to write within 250 words. There isn't any fixed book, but you could try "Urdu Reading and Writing - O Level" by Haseeb Publishers, written by Mubashar Azeez and Maajid Mushtaq for samples.

Paper 2: This is the literature paper. First, you have poetry and then prose. Poetry has 2 sections - ghazal and nazam. The first question of each part is a passage-based question with 2 parts. The second is always a 25 mark essay question. Same goes for prose, but it has three sections - mazameen, Maratal Aroos and Dastak na Do. To be honest, our school doesn't teach us Maratal Aroos and Dastak na Do because you can attempt the paper by only doing the poetry and mazameen. Even in poetry, you either do the ghazals and nazams. SO MUCH CHOICE! You always choose one essay and one passage based question. If you do essay from poetry, you MUST do the passage based from prose. Only 2 questions are to be done. The essay is a critical analysis of the writer or poet's work.
The best book would be 'O Level Urdu Nisaab' by Dr Saleem Akhtar, published by Sang-e-Meel. It only has the poems and mazameen, but that is all you need to do. I've seen people get world distinctions by only studying these two.

Also, don't attempt this subject by yourself unless you're a literary genius and an Urdu mastermind because there is a lot of depth in some topics, like the afsana Badal in the mazameen and the need to have knowledge of a poet's life and style and stuff. If you want, I could give you the name of the best Urdu teacher ever, if you live in Lahore. Her notes are amazing, too.

Phew, that was a lot. Cheerio!
plz do tell the teachers name since i live in lahore and contact number and if i have to go to an academy or does she come for home tuition?

Reaction score
Ms. Farrukh Masood. She teaches in LGS Johar Town. The academy's name is Academia and it's in Model Town in a street near the Nespak Building. The number is 042-35177296.

Reaction score
hey i know im a bit late in asking this but pls i reaaallllly reeeaaaalllly need notes for the ghazals .... im desperate for help...id appreciate it if someone wud upload anything