• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths trouble. A level Private Candidate...PLS HELP!

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum

Im an A level private candidate from India. InshaAllah i shall be appearing for exams in May 2016. I plan to write 5 or 6 subjects. but im having a lil trouble, as I dont have a tutor yet, mainly Self study.

my subjects are: Biology, chemistry, Business Studies, english and arabic.

I also wish to do maths , but i dont understand 1 thing, is it true that A level maths has 3 books?!
more over, as i havent started the syllabus yet, i dont think there s enough time for me to complete the whole syllabus within 6 months...and i wonder how many papers are there for maths in A levels...it was 2 papers in O levels, what about A levels?

iBthisam

Reaction score
There are 4 papers in A-Level Maths.
Take a look at the syllabus - it gives you an option to choose which papers you want to appear for.
For example, I'm appearing for P1, P3, M1, S1.

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum

Im an A level private candidate from India. InshaAllah i shall be appearing for exams in May 2016. I plan to write 5 or 6 subjects. but im having a lil trouble, as I dont have a tutor yet, mainly Self study.

I also wish to do maths , but i dont understand 1 thing, is it true that A level maths has 3 books?!
more over, as i havent started the syllabus yet, i dont think there s enough time for me to complete the whole syllabus within 6 months...and i wonder how many papers are there for maths in A levels...it was 2 papers in O levels, what about A levels?

iBthisam
4 books....if you take both M1 and S1 but 3 if you take either mechanics or statistics
4 papers
you've got enough time given that you're good at maths to start with...otherwise, maybe not

Reaction score
Are u going to be giving AS+A2 ? Well , i am also giving business privately and i am doing the whole of it in sha Allah .
Maybe we can help each other out fatima . Where have u reached ?
And Arabic in A-level !WoW! And u say ur from india ! Thats pretty cool then :) .

Reaction score
There are 4 papers in A-Level Maths.
Take a look at the syllabus - it gives you an option to choose which papers you want to appear for.
For example, I'm appearing for P1, P3, M1, S1.
4 books....if you take both M1 and S1 but 3 if you take either mechanics or statistics
4 papers
you've got enough time given that you're good at maths to start with...otherwise, maybe not

i did look at the syllabus...the thing is, im not interested in doing either mechanics or statistics...I have already started studying a book called Pure maths (1)...is there any option to do just 3 papers? that too, just pure math without any specifications, like mechanics or statistics?

Reaction score
Are u going to be giving AS+A2 ? Well , i am also giving business privately and i am doing the whole of it in sha Allah .
Maybe we can help each other out fatima . Where have u reached ?
And Arabic in A-level !WoW! And u say ur from india ! Thats pretty cool then :) .

its best if i can give AS+A2 togather...but i havent decieded...now that i feel the syllabus content is too much, i may do A2 only for biology,business studies and english...the rest, only AS, and tht includes math.

and regarding where i have reached in business studies...WELL...My book is Cambridge international AS and A levrl Business coursebook by Peter Stimpson and Alastair Farquharson.... there are 6 units in it, im still in the first one...but i felt it was easy, mainly understanding...will be starting unit 2 next week...what about you, in which unit are you, and r u following the same book?

regarding arabic...yea my friends suggested i do a language, and this is the only language i know...i couldnt afford to take up arabic back in my A levels, but now i can...im a bit worried about it, but i think i can make it, inshaAllah.

are you apparing from india? or outside?

i did my Olevels from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia...and regarding my A levels, its not fixed yet, maybe from Kolkatta, maybe from Scotland...

anyway, nice meeting you
:)

Reaction score
Well , my book is the third edition . Its blue in colour . And i think so u have the yellow one . Let me know the name of your chapter , i guess they are similar :) . So ur going to be doing the complete a level for it , right ?
No , i am going to be appearing from the Emirates and i am from Pakistan . Good Luck with Arabic .
Looking forward to studying with u !

its best if i can give AS+A2 togather...but i havent decieded...now that i feel the syllabus content is too much, i may do A2 only for biology,business studies and english...the rest, only AS, and tht includes math.

and regarding where i have reached in business studies...WELL...My book is Cambridge international AS and A levrl Business coursebook by Peter Stimpson and Alastair Farquharson.... there are 6 units in it, im still in the first one...but i felt it was easy, mainly understanding...will be starting unit 2 next week...what about you, in which unit are you, and r u following the same book?

regarding arabic...yea my friends suggested i do a language, and this is the only language i know...i couldnt afford to take up arabic back in my A levels, but now i can...im a bit worried about it, but i think i can make it, inshaAllah.

are you apparing from india? or outside?

i did my Olevels from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia...and regarding my A levels, its not fixed yet, maybe from Kolkatta, maybe from Scotland...

anyway, nice meeting you
:)

Reaction score
i did look at the syllabus...the thing is, im not interested in doing either mechanics or statistics...I have already started studying a book called Pure maths (1)...is there any option to do just 3 papers? that too, just pure math without any specifications, like mechanics or statistics?

Nope. :p But if you want just AS Level qualification, then Yes, you can just do pure math.

Reaction score
If you wanna take only P1 and P2, that'll leave you with an AS degree not A'Level

Reaction score
Sorry, we can do nothing about it....I've got the same problem (I like Pure Maths, I HATE the rest). I took S1 (Statistics 1) and M1 (Mechanics 1) ....

Reaction score
Assalamualaikum

iBthisam
I have given Private A levek MATH, GOT C, had an A* in math O level, but couldn't study much due to family issues this year
There are 4 papers, 4 books.. Pure math1 pure mah3
and one of following combo
stats 1 or mechanics1
stats1 or stats 2
mechanics 1 or mechanics 2