• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
O bas bas, you need to be smart to do well in such subjects too!!! You don't just get 1500+ in sats just like that...

Reaction score
some people got the value 5.20 for mew instead of 0.577. What they did was reverse the direction of P such that now it acts down the plane. So the two simultaneous equataions become P(min)+20gsin(60)=20gcos(60)mew and P(max)=20gcos(60)mew+20gsin(60) and then P(max)=2P(min).. Did the question specify the direction of the force P or no?
It cant be that large...if it is 5.2 it should be on something like sandpaper

Reaction score
I got mew 5.2 I know its wrong (beacause mew is usially between 0 to 1) can anyone point out where i went wrong? Plus How much marks can i expect for this question?
Not sure what went wrong, would have to ask my teacher about this, so if anyone has got pictures of the paper please do share them(ask your exam officer to take photos from the extra copies CIE sends, pls). You can expect to lose 1 mark for the wrong answer for sure, and possibly 2 marks for not showing one of the correct scenario. You should get around 4 marks still provided that you showed your working in full.

Reaction score
B
Not sure what went wrong, would have to ask my teacher about this, so if anyone has got pictures of the paper please do share them(ask your exam officer to take photos from the extra copies CIE sends, pls). You can expect to lose 1 mark for the wrong answer for sure, and possibly 2 marks for not showing one of the correct scenario. You should get around 4 marks still provided that you showed your working in full.

upload_2018-5-16_21-2-50.png

Btw Check this out Friction coefficient can be as high as 21 provided you conduct the experiment in VACUM which was'nt mentioned on the paper ...BUT it did'nt specify of air Either(JK...lol)

Reaction score
m
lmao i got 1100
man i did sooooo bad in maths this year....i wish i get the chance to resit it in ON...Man stress can kill someone's confidence, like my level in pure maths was sooo good that i excpected to score a full mark (that's how well i was in pure) but then i saw the yellow paper and got shocked then i started stressing and ended up doing some random shit....mechanics it was my fault for not paying it much attention..sigh, a hard lesson learnt the hard way

Reaction score
Okay fellas! Now I know this question has already been answered but I really need opinions of more than just 1 person. My value for mew was about 5.2. How much marks am I really expected to lose here. The question was worth 7 marks just so you know.

Reaction score
Okay fellas! Now I know this question has already been answered but I really need opinions of more than just 1 person. My value for mew was about 5.2. How much marks am I really expected to lose here. The question was worth 7 marks just so you know.
no way you will lose alot of marks. I say youd gain marks for implying the rule for friction. One of the two equations you set is correct but the other is wrong so something like 4/7

(Btw you are one the few people who got 5.20 and think they are were wrong... Do you know what went wrong for you? Thanks)

Reaction score
no way you will lose alot of marks. I say youd gain marks for implying the rule for friction. One of the two equations you set is correct but the other is wrong so something like 4/7

(Btw you are one the few people who got 5.20 and think they are were wrong... Do you know what went wrong for you? Thanks)

I seriously don't know what did. I can explain you the way I did it though. I solved the problem by simply taking the direction of P acting up the line of greatest slope for 1 case and down the slope for the other one. Also changed the directions of friction. Made 2 simultaneous equations multiplied the smaller one with 2 and then just solved it. Thanks for the opinion though!

Reaction score
T
I seriously don't know what did. I can explain you the way I did it though. I solved the problem by simply taking the direction of P acting up the line of greatest slope for 1 case and down the slope for the other one. Also changed the directions of friction. Made 2 simultaneous equations multiplied the smaller one with 2 and then just solved it. Thanks for the opinion though!

I don't know bro, it's a 50/50 question for me... The question was weird, they should have told us whether to take the force up the slope or down. Until I ask my teacher about the question I can't say anything, but again the reason by 5.2 is unlikely to be the answer is because 5 is too big to be a coefficient of friction