• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Given that, Sum of First and Fourth term is 70 and sum of Second and Third term is 60, so there's no way the sum to infinity be 10 or 7.

From the answer i posted,

r = 2/3 or 3/2
When r = 2/3,
a = 54
T1 = 54
T4 = 16
Hence T1 + T4 = 70

Again, When r = 3/2

T1 = 16
T4 = 54
Hence T1 + T4 = 70
Thanks

Reaction score
upload_2017-5-17_13-27-45.png
upload_2017-5-17_13-28-33.png
need a explanation on how to the height and the thickness
how will i know that graph X will be from 10 to 50
and will be higher or lower the the other graphs? plzz help

Reaction score
View attachment 62168
View attachment 62169
need a explanation on how to the height and the thickness
how will i know that graph X will be from 10 to 50
and will be higher or lower the the other graphs? plzz help
Well i don't have much information however for this problem, i do guess work.
Variance gives standard deviation. Standard deviation means average deviation of values from the mean value. For X, SD = 7. Since it is an average, you have to make it more spread than keeping the boundary within 7 from the mean. Remember to make both sides equal from the mean.

For Z and Y, the variance is less. Hence less spread. But the height is greater because AREA UNDER X = AREA UNDER Y and AREA UNDER Y = AREA UNDER Z.

Reaction score
Well i don't have much information however for this problem, i do guess work.
Variance gives standard deviation. Standard deviation means average deviation of values from the mean value. For X, SD = 7. Since it is an average, you have to make it more spread than keeping the boundary within 7 from the mean. Remember to make both sides equal from the mean.

For Z and Y, the variance is less. Hence less spread. But the height is greater because AREA UNDER X = AREA UNDER Y and AREA UNDER Y = AREA UNDER Z.
i didnt understand

Reaction score
i didnt understand
Well the spread part is like this.... You've SD, right? Recall that the graph is symmetrical and mean is at the middle. Standard deviation gives the measure of spread. From the definition, Standard deviation is the average deviation of the values from the mean value. But it is not possible that the minimum value and max value be within 1 standard deviation from the mean. So the minimum value must be less than (Mean - SD). BUT i cannot confirm the actual value where the curve should start from however it must be less than (Mean - SD).

Height Part: We know that the area under each graph must be equal. For Y and Z, the spread is less and to make the area equal to X, we must have to increase the height.

Reaction score
Well the spread part is like this.... You've SD, right? Recall that the graph is symmetrical and mean is at the middle. Standard deviation gives the measure of spread. From the definition, Standard deviation is the average deviation of the values from the mean value. But it is not possible that the minimum value and max value be within 1 standard deviation from the mean. So the minimum value must be less than (Mean - SD). BUT i cannot confirm the actual value where the curve should start from however it must be less than (Mean - SD).

Height Part: We know that the area under each graph must be equal. For Y and Z, the spread is less and to make the area equal to X, we must have to increase the height.
so how will i now that it should from 10 and end at 50?

Reaction score
so how will i now that it should from 10 and end at 50?
Almost all the values lie within 3 standard deviation from the mean. So 3 * 7 = 21. and 30-21 = 9. similarly, 30+21 = 51. but it's not exact. roughly between 9 to 51

Last edited:
Reaction score
Weight is a random variable and that too a continuous one. The distribution for a continuous random variable is 'normal distribution' (according to what we have studied) with parameters (Mean, variance)........ Just put in some sensible appropriate values for an average of weight of 18 year old girls and for variance just square the standard deviation...... :)
They have said 40-80 for the mean and a standard deviation between 4-15

Reaction score
Weight is a random variable and that too a continuous one. The distribution for a continuous random variable is 'normal distribution' (according to what we have studied) with parameters (Mean, variance)........ Just put in some sensible appropriate values for an average of weight of 18 year old girls and for variance just square the standard deviation...... :)
They have said 40-80 for the mean and a standard deviation between 4-15
so the whole qtn depends on our guess?