• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
would you please tell me the reason for (June 2014 /9709/12 Q 4)
why is A(aobx) = 2 A (aob)
Thank you in advance (y)

Reaction score
Thank you in advance (y)

Area of triangle AOB = 1/2
Thank you in advance (y)

In the guestion they tell us that AOB and AXB are equal so..
Area of triangle AOB = 1/2 r^2 sin(theta)
Area of segment AXB = 1/2 r^2 (theta) - 1/2 r^2 sin(theta)

Now since their areas are equal :
1/2 r^2 sin(theta) = 1/2 r^2 (theta) - 1/2 r^2 sin(theta)

which simplifies to: 2 sin(theta)

Reaction score
Thank you in advance (y)
AOBX refers to the whole shape. So the area of AOBX, or A(aobx), equals the sum of A(aob), the triagle, and A(axb), the area between the chord and the arc.
Put in an equation, this means A(aobx) = A(aob) + A(axb)
Since A(aob) = A(axb),
A(aobx) = 2 A(aob)

Reaction score
AOBX refers to the whole shape. So the area of AOBX, or A(aobx), equals the sum of A(aob), the triagle, and A(axb), the area between the chord and the arc.
Put in an equation, this means A(aobx) = A(aob) + A(axb)
Since A(aob) = A(axb),
A(aobx) = 2 A(aob)

thanks again

Reaction score
im done with 9709 pastpaper........now from where should i practise.....need advice.....should i do ocr or anyone have something better than this

Reaction score
Answers will be ax + by + cz = d + 70√2 and ax + by + cz = d - 70√2
The values of a, b, c and d are the same as you found in part (i).

Basically, the only change from answer to part (i) is that we add or subtract a number to d,
And this number is equal to the distance (14) times the modulus of n (|n|, which is √50).

Try to think by yourself why it can be done this way.

Reaction score
(a) The first term of an arithmetic progression is −2222 and the common difference is 17. Find the value of the first positive term. [3]
(b) The first term of a geometric progression is ï3 and the second term is 2 cos 1, where 0 < 1 < 0. Find the set of values of 1 for which the progression is convergent.
can smebody plz help

Reaction score
9 (a) The first term of an arithmetic progression is −2222 and the common difference is 17. Find the value of the first positive term. [3]
(b) The first term of a geometric progression is ï3 and the second term is 2 cos 1, where 0 < 1 < 0. Find the set of values of 1 for which the progression is convergent.
plz help

Reaction score
I have some questions about statistics.
1) A cubical dice is biased so that the probability of any particular score between 1 and 6 (inclusive) being obtained is proportional to that score. Find the probability of scoring a 1.
ANS :1/21
2) For a biased cubical dice the probability of any particular score between 1 and 6 (inclusive) being obtained is inversely proportional to that score. Find the probability of scoring a 1.
ANS: 20/49
3) A fair coin is tossed 8 times. Calculate the probability that the first 4 tosses and the last 4 tosses result in the same number of heads.
ANS :0.273
4) Two teams each consist of 3 players. Each player in a team tosses a fair coin once and the team score's is the total number of heads thrown. Find the probability that the teams have the same score.
ANS: 0.313

Can someone explain to me how to find the answer ?