• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
the ans is wrong........
View attachment 61586
i got the equation givein in part (i) if possible plzz tell me how to find least value using this equation View attachment 61587

Uh I'm soooo sorry, misread a tiny part of the question and that happened...

I've corrected my work (edited my original reply), and arrived at the same answer provided by the marking scheme.
Should not be any more errors there.

Again, sorry about the wrong answer :p

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this? Can't wrap my head around this problem.

A staff car park at a school has 13 parking spaces in a row. There are 9 cars to be parked.
i. How many Different arrangements are there for parking the 9 cars and leaving 4 empty spaces?
ii.How many different arrangements are there if the 4 empty spaces are next to each other?
iii. if the parking is random, find the probability that there will not be 4 empty spaces next to each other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
In i, Why do we need two points that are on both planes?

We need two points because we need to find the line's vector. The fastest way to find the vector is to obtain two points on the line.

If you are interested in another method of determining the vector, you can use the normal vectors of P1 and P2.
If the vector is parallel to both planes, then it must be perpendicular to both planes' normal vectors, n1 and n2

Thus you can use cross product, n1 x n2, the product is the parallel-to-both-planes vector we are looking for.

Also couldn't it be that the planes were skewed?

In a 3-dimension space, only lines can be skewed to each other. Planes can only be parallel or intersecting.

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this? Can't wrap my head around this problem.

A staff car park at a school has 13 parking spaces in a row. There are 9 cars to be parked.
i. How many Different arrangements are there for parking the 9 cars and leaving 4 empty spaces?
ii.How many different arrangements are there if the 4 empty spaces are next to each other?
iii. if the parking is random, find the probability that there will not be 4 empty spaces next to each other.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll assume the 9 cars are all different, so that permutation (rather than combination) is used:

(i)
Choose 9 slots from 13, order is considered.
13P9 = (13!)/(4!) = 259459200

(ii)
Now we need to make sure that in every case, the 4 empty slots are bound together.
We can group the 4 empty slots as a single unit, so that:
- there are 9 units to park cars
- there is a single unit of 4 empty slots
A total of 10 units.

Thus the case is to choose 9 units from 10, order is considered.
10P9 = (10!)/(1!) = 3628800

(iii)
The total number of possible outcomes is the answer to (i), which is 259459200.
The number of possible outcomes with 4 empty spaces next to each other, is the answer to (ii), 3628800.

So the number of outcomes where the 4 empty spaces are not next to each other = 259459200 - 3628800.

Probability = (259459200 - 3628800) / 259459200 = 0.986

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new on Math AS and would appreciate your help

The thread is so lengthy so if someone can help me and provide me notes for PURE MATH 1 and MECHANICS 1 I've checked some links but always directs me to 404 error .
Thanks in advance .

Btw is it hard to get A in AS Math ? I'm terrified from it