• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
How do i solve this?
(x^2 + y^2) = 2(x^2 – y^2)

Co-ordinates of M ( maximum point)

Solve the square. And the parenthesis.

x^4 +2(x^2)(y^2) + y^4 = 2(x^2) – (2y^2)

Differentiate.

Dy/dx ,

4(x^3) + 2[2*x*(y^2) +2*y*(x^2) (dy/dx)] +4(y^3)(dy/dx) = 4x – 4y(dy/dx)

4(x^3) + 4*x*(y^2) + 4*y*(x^2)(dy/dx) +4(y^3)(dy/dx) = 4x – 4y(dy/dx)

Make dy/dx the subject,

Dy/dx[4*y*(x^2) +4*(y^3) - 4y]= 4x – 4*x*(y^2) -4(x^3)

Dy/dx = (4x – 4*x*(y^2) -4*(x^3))/( 4*y*(x^2) +4*(y^3) - 4y)

Equate to zero since to find stationary points we put dy/dx=0

0 = (4x – 4*x*(y^2) - 4*(x^3))/( 4*y*(x^2) +4*(y^3) - 4y)

All 4’s will cancel.

0 = (x – x*(y^2) - (x^3))

0 = x(1 – (y^2) - (x^2))

0 = 1 – (y^2) – (x^2)

-1 = - (y^2) – (x^2)

( x^2) + (y^2) = 1 & (x^2) = 1 – (y^2)

Now use the equation of the curve and plug in he above value.

((x^2) + ( y^2)) = 2((x^2) – ( y^2))

(1)^2 = 2(1 - (y^2) - (y^2))

1 = 2(1 – 2(y^2))

½ = 1 – 2(y^2)

½ - 1 = - 2(y^2)

- 1/2 = - 2y^2

(1/2)/2 = y^2

y^2 = ¼

y = sqrt(1/4)

y = ½

x ^2 = 1 – y^2

x ^2 = 1 – (1/2)^2

x ^2 = 1 - ¼

x ^2 = ¾

x= sqrt(3/4)

x= (sqrt3)/2 Ans.

Reaction score
What exactly are vertical and horizontal elements? :p
Limits?
:D...you can't answer me if you don't know :p
It's part of Integration concept...horizontal element is a strip going horizontally, the area of which we have gotta find using integration, same goes for vertical elements. The main thing is we can find the area under a curve on a graph, by finding integrals of the equation of curve.
If you've covered integration already, you'd know!

Reaction score
It's part of Integration concept...horizontal element is a strip going horizontally, the area of which we have gotta find using integration, same goes for vertical elements. The main thing is we can find the area under a curve on a graph, by finding integrals of the equation of curve.
I know everything about integration but ive never seen 'vertical or horizontal elements' in any of the questions :p
My bad :p
I tried solving your question. Using u substitution. I got the integral but what next? Couldnt figure out the limits so yeahhh :p

Reaction score
can u tell me the answer.? :p
im getting 42.67 for the first part. and 0.5 for the second :p

Reaction score
can u tell me the answer.? :p
im getting 42.67 for the first part. and 0.5 for the second :p
Accurate! very nice indeed. You got it right for the first part! but not for the second though, it's the same as first both parts have answer 42.67

Reaction score
so how did you do it? could you please show me the procedure and explain a little?
Your concepts are clear. No doubt. Since you know integration. In this question you are not given the limits but youre told that you have to find the area in the first quadrant. This suggests that there is no negative limit. So if you plug in a few values of x in the equation you will get x as 4 when y equals 0. and when x is 0 you get y as 16. Therefore your limits are 4 and 0.
Now just simply integrate the equation. You will get 16x - x^3/3. Plug in the limits and youll get 42.67 ;) I hope that explains for you :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your concepts are clear. No doubt. Since you know integration. In this question you are not given the limits but youre told that you have to find the area in the first quadrant. This suggests that there is no negative limit. So if you plug in a few values of x in the equation you will get x as 4 when y equals 0. and when x is 0 you get y as 16. Therefore your limits are 4 and 0.
Now just simply integrate the equation. You will get 16x - x^3/3. Plug in the limits and youll get 42.67 ;) I hope that explain for you :)
yah...I totally get it! :D...thank you so much
Actually, I did make a sketch, and found one limit as 4 and since the other (-4) wasn't in the first quadrant, I was kinda confused, but now I get it!