• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Please I need help in maths p3 question. It's paper 3 question from add maths remainder and factor theorem chapter 5 miscellaneous exercise q14 part b. I cannot write the whole question so please can anyone explain it.

Reaction score
Can someone explain to m in M1 paper 4, in work energy and power, why sometimes we consider Fv (mav) when calculating power or driving force with acceleration and sometimes we don't. An example where it is not considered is MJ 2014 pp43 Q5(ii). Whereas in ON 2012 pp42, there is a question where it is considered AND so is the component of the mass parallel to the plane.
Thanks.

Reaction score
I need help with this question, it's A2 syllabus. I don't understand why the answer is - 5<x<1/3 I thought the answer is x>-5. Can someone please explain step by step please? Thank you.

IMG_3014.PNG

P_20150704_092157.jpg

Reaction score
I need help with this question, it's A2 syllabus. I don't understand why the answer is - 5<x<1/3 I thought the answer is x>-5. Can someone please explain step by step please? Thank you.

IMG_3014.PNG

P_20150704_092157.jpg
Um, instead of sub x=-6 , why don't u just sub in x=0, that way you can avoid sub in x=1. Anyway when you sub x=0 its suppose to be in 3x^2+14x-5>0 not the earlier modulus. Insert it following this method and you can get the answer.

Reaction score
If f(x)= (36x^2) -(2x^4)
Find the interval for which f(x) is a decreasing function.

^Can anyone please solve it, along with explanation.

Reaction score
O to 18 ?
Thanks for the reply, but your answer is totally wrong :p Anyway, I have solved that question. If you require, following is the solution for it:
f(x)=36x^2 -2x^4
f ' (x) = 72x - 8x^3
for it to be a decreasing function, f ' (x) <= 0 , therefore,
72x - 8x^3 <= 0
9x - x^3 <= 0
x(x+3)(x-3)>= 0 ---> (1)
Critical Values: 0, -3, 3
Now drawing it on a number line:
upload_2015-7-27_20-10-57.png
So for (1) to be +ive, the interval satisfying it is :
-3<=x<=0 OR 3<=x

:p That's it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
4! * 3! * 2! = 288 :)
There is only 1 person tenors who can stand with Basses. So let symbol 'X' represent Tensors who don't want to stand with basses and X" who wants , and let symbol 'O' represent Basses.

XXX X" OOOO
so if they stand in this arrangement, the number of possible arrangements for tensors, is 3! (taking the X" person stays at his position shown) and the number of possible arrangements for Basses is 4!. As there are two ways in which the teams can stand as a whole i.e: tensors on right and basses on left and vice versa, so multiplying with 2!

So total arrangements become: 3!*4!*2! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
4! * 3! * 2! = 288 :)
There is only 1 person tenors who can stand with Basses. So let symbol 'X' represent Tensors who don't want to stand with basses and X" who wants , and let symbol 'O' represent Basses.

XXX X" OOOO
so if they stand in this arrangement, the number of possible arrangements for tensors, is 3! (taking the X" person stays at his position shown) and the number of possible arrangements for Basses is 4!. As there are two ways in which the teams can stand as a whole i.e: tensors on right and basses on left and vice versa, so multiplying with 2!

So total arrangements become: 3!*4!*2! :)
Thankx

Reaction score
show that the equation (a)sin(x-60)-cos(30-x)=1 can be written as cosx=k where k is a constant
(b) hence solve the above equation from 0<x <180

B part only pleaseeeeeeeeeeee