• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Information required for Cambridge A-levels.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need the following information required for A-levels. (As and A2)

How many papers are there in Biology,Chemistry and math?

If you are going in medicine field does that mean you need to take physics for As level or A2 level.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need the following information required for A-levels. (As and A2)

How many papers are there in Biology,Chemistry and math?

If you are going in medicine field does that mean you need to take physics for As level or A2 level.

Biology:
AS: P1, P2, P3
A2: P4, P5

Chemistry:
AS: P1, P2, P3
A2: P4, P5

Math:
AS: P1, P4/6
A2: P3, P4/6/5/7

So overall 5+5+4 = 14 papers you'll need to write over the course of two years!

As for whether physics is needed in order to study medicine, I personally don't think so. Chemistry is very important for medicine. Statistics (math) is also needed. Bio is a plus. You should check the requirements of the unis you wish to study at, but I'd recommend you take the three subjects you asked about if you wanna go into medicine.

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the information
what if i take statistics rather than math will it be helpful

i am from pakistan, karachi so mostly the medicine universities like agha khan, dow medical college

3 subjects are good enough right?

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the information
what if i take statistics rather than math will it be helpful

i am from pakistan, karachi so mostly the medicine universities like agha khan, dow medical college

3 subjects are good enough right?
Welcome.
I am not sure about medical schools in Pakistan and their requirements, so you should have a look at their website.
However, in general, 3 subjects are enough.
I do not think there is a subject dedicates to just statistics.

The math syllabus is divided into three sections: pure math, mechanics, and statistics.
Everyone has to do pure math, but you can choose to give statistics component(s) instead of mechanics, for example.

Reaction score
Ameen

very informative <3

thanks a lot once again for the help

You need Biology, Chemistry and Physics in A-Levels to apply for Medicine. Math will be an extra and won't count, but people take Maths so they can also apply for Engineering too. Personally. I wouldn't recommend doing A-Levels for Medicine in Pakistan. It's really tough to break into a Government Medical College, especially so for students from A-Levels, and if you ask around your school, you'll know that only a handful of students manage to get in e.g, I'm from Beaconhouse Margalla Campus in Islamabad, and from our last year's batch, about 3-4 people got into Government Colleges. Now, you do have a better chance in getting admission to private schools and this is where a lot of the A-Level students eventually end up, but the tuition fees for these schools are really high. Your easily looking at 7-10 lakh/year. In comparison, Government Colleges charge you around 50-70k for your whole 5 year degree! So do your research. Ask around. And choose wisely. If you do end up doing A-Levels, you need to work your ass off! Yes, make it your job not to slack off or waste time! Make it your priority to get the best grades. For a government college at least, you'll need to have above 900 marks in your O and A-Level equivalence, which means nothing less then A's for all your subjects! You'll also need a really good MCAT score and to prepare for MCAT, you need to study the Matric-FSC material. So it's wise to get those books and start early. Joining academies can help a lot too. If you need more specifics, I can hook you up with a friend of mine whose doing Bio (I'm an Engineering student). Let me know.