• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE English - First Language (0500) vs AS level English Language (8693)

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to sit for an English language examination in October/November 2014 by choosing one from the two listed in the title.

As this is for my university application and considering the fact that I have little time to prepare for this examination, I would be grateful if you could share your opinions on which one from the two examinations is easier to prepare (without taking pain) and obtain a good grade.

If you recommend me writing the IGCSE exam, please let me know whether I should go for paper 3 (without coursework) or paper 4 (with coursework) in terms of the difficulty level.

Thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
Well, I guess you should go for English as a first language. (0500) ( I don't really know about AS Level English)
I suggest you go for paper 3 without the coursework because it would be more easier and less stressful since you have
a little time to prepare.

I am appearing for Eng. as a first language, next year (2015 M/J)
I am appearing for Paper 2 & The coursework portfolios ( 9 course-work pieces)

I think CIE requires at least 6 pieces from you which means two portfolios, each one containing 3 course - work assignments.
Each having an argumentative piece
a narrative, imaginary or a descriptive piece.
a piece where you analyse an article.

This is my advice.

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to sit for an English language examination in October/November 2014 by choosing one from the two listed in the title.

As this is for my university application and considering the fact that I have little time to prepare for this examination, I would be grateful if you could share your opinions on which one from the two examinations is easier to prepare (without taking pain) and obtain a good grade.

If you recommend me writing the IGCSE exam, please let me know whether I should go for paper 3 (without coursework) or paper 4 (with coursework) in terms of the difficulty level.

AS/A Level English is the hardest A Level in terms of scoring high, as for the rest of the advice, Atharva Joshi 's done the job + Don't forget to use the Standards Booklet.

Reaction score
Do the IGCSE. Do Paper 3 instead of the coursework: it takes no work out of the exam and is generally pretty easy too. Depending on whether English ACTUALLY is your first language, of course. I took it (I was born and live in the UK) and it took no work whatsoever - what is your level of English?

Reaction score
Well, I guess you should go for English as a first language. (0500) ( I don't really know about AS Level English)
I suggest you go for paper 3 without the coursework because it would be more easier and less stressful since you have
a little time to prepare.

I am appearing for Eng. as a first language, next year (2015 M/J)
I am appearing for Paper 2 & The coursework portfolios ( 9 course-work pieces)

I think CIE requires at least 6 pieces from you which means two portfolios, each one containing 3 course - work assignments.
Each having an argumentative piece
a narrative, imaginary or a descriptive piece.
a piece where you analyse an article.

This is my advice.
AS/A Level English is the hardest A Level in terms of scoring high, as for the rest of the advice, Atharva Joshi 's done the job + Don't forget to use the Standards Booklet.
Thanks a lot the great advice :)

Reaction score
Do the IGCSE. Do Paper 3 instead of the coursework: it takes no work out of the exam and is generally pretty easy too. Depending on whether English ACTUALLY is your first language, of course. I took it (I was born and live in the UK) and it took no work whatsoever - what is your level of English?
English is not my first language. However, I sat for the English - second language IGCSE exam in 2012 and managed to score an A*. Considering this, don't you think I will manage to get a good grade in the English as a first language exam?

Reaction score
English is not my first language. However, I sat for the English - second language IGCSE exam in 2012 and managed to score an A*. Considering this, don't you think I will manage to get a good grade in the English as a first language exam?

If you can get an A* in ESL, I'm confident you can do well in 1st Language. Considering that however you've only done English as a SECOND language, the prospect of doing AS is even more dead in the water, in my opinion. Just do a lot of practice - English as a first language is nothing to do with reading comprehensions and listening tests - it's full on: you'll have to write extended answers for every question. So make sure that your grammar and spelling are spotless, you know how to analyse language, and you can write effective letters, speeches and creative pieces, like descriptions or short stories.

Reaction score
If you can get an A* in ESL, I'm confident you can do well in 1st Language. Considering that however you've only done English as a SECOND language, the prospect of doing AS is even more dead in the water, in my opinion. Just do a lot of practice - English as a first language is nothing to do with reading comprehensions and listening tests - it's full on: you'll have to write extended answers for every question. So make sure that your grammar and spelling are spotless, you know how to analyse language, and you can write effective letters, speeches and creative pieces, like descriptions or short stories.
That looks challenging. Do you think one month is enough to prepare for the first language exam?

Reaction score
Of course you have enough time. I'm studying AS English, which is 9093 now, and I gave EFL this May/June. Trust me, AS English is totally different from IGCSE EFL, it's a huge pain. IGCSE EFL is comparatively easier.

Reaction score
Of course you have enough time. I'm studying AS English, which is 9093 now, and I gave EFL this May/June. Trust me, AS English is totally different from IGCSE EFL, it's a huge pain. IGCSE EFL is comparatively easier.
Thanks man.
If you don't mind, I shall stay in touch with you for tips and resources for the EFL English exam. :D

Reaction score
Hello,

Don't make the mistake of taking AS English Lang instead of IGCSE First Lang xD
I did both (IG last year and AS last month) and I swear, AS is a steep climb from First Language.
Anyways, why not TOEFL or IELTS instead of IGCSEs? Just curious...

Reaction score
I did both (IG last year and AS last month) and I swear, AS is a steep climb from First Language.

IELTS and TOEFL don't replace the high school English requirement for universities.

Reaction score
I did IELTS, managed a 8.0 score.. but the unis just won't appreciate that :p
IELTS and TOEFL don't replace the high school English requirement for universities.
Yeah, you got that right!

Reaction score
Probably explains why my school forces everyone to take A level English Language, despite half the class getting Cs in ESL IGCSE.

I did IELTS, managed a 8.0 score.. but the unis just won't appreciate that :p

Yeah, you got that right!
I heard a 6.0-6.5 would be enough for many unis though...
Which unis don't really consider IELTS/TOEFL as a sufficient replacement to A levels though?
My friends are gonna drop English after AS so I would like to know.

Reaction score
Probably explains why my school forces everyone to take A level English Language, despite half the class getting Cs in ESL IGCSE.

Which unis don't really consider IELTS/TOEFL as a sufficient replacement to A levels though?
IELTS/TOEFL will never serve as a replacement, they are separate standardized, international tests.

Reaction score

IELTS/TOEFL are just used as a proof of proficiency in English language if you have done ESL in O levels. A level English is not an entrance requirement.
But most of the non-private unis require a first language (not necessarily English) along with ESL and IELTS... and since I do not have a first language, I chose to do EFL in order to meet my preferred uni's requirement.
That's according to my understanding, your friends should probably find out more about this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IELTS/TOEFL are just used as a proof of proficiency in English language if you have done ESL in O levels. A level English is not an entrance requirement.
But most of the non-private unis require a first language (not necessarily English) along with ESL and IELTS... and since I do not have a first language, I chose to do EFL in order to meet my preferred uni's requirement.
That's according to my understanding, your friends should probably find out more about this.
IELTS/TOEFL will never serve as a replacement, they are separate standardized, international tests.
Thanks guys, will do. Damn it sucks that they are forced to complete A level English.
Considering the fact that the entire class is expecting a C or below, I honestly don't know.
I'll see tomorrow, results day :O