• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Chemistry

Reaction score
HELPP (acid is a molecule or other species which can donate a proton or accept an electron pair in reactions.)

can someone please explain what does that mean ?? i mean donating a proton basically means donating the hydrogen right ? but the hydrogen also has an electron so why do we say a proton donor ? then we have the thing about accepting an electron pair , this is so confusing please explain it ??

Reaction score
Well first, most hydrogen atoms are made of only a single proton and electron (the most commonly found isotope).
When we have an acid such as HCl dissolved in water, it ionizes (forms ions) to give us H+ and Cl-. An H+ ion is a hydrogen atom that has lost an electron (that the chlorine atom has gained to form a chloride ion), so it is only a proton.
Now, when KOH reacts with HCl, it forms KCl and H2O.
KOH(aq) + HCl(aq) --> KCl(aq) + H2O(l).
If we split it into ions it looks like this:
K+(aq) + OH-(aq) + H+(aq) + Cl-(aq) --> K+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l)
If we write it as an ionic equation (we eliminate the spectator ions, the ones that do not take part in the reaction, on both sides) , it is:
OH- + H+ --> H2O.
The acid has lost the hydrogen ion (in other words, donated it) and it was accepted by the OH- from the alkali. It also accepted the electron from the OH- and formed covalent bonds to form water.

In summary, a hydrogen ion is called a proton because a hydrogen atom is just a proton and an electron, so when it forms ions it loses the electron and becomes a lone proton. The acid gives the hydrogen ion/proton to the base, reacting with the OH- to form water, so it is called a proton donor and an alkali is called a proton acceptor, because it accepted the proton.

IF you have any more questions in chemistry, or need further explanation if you didn't understand my previous explanation feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Thank you so much , do you have an email i can contact you on ,when i have doubts ? that would be so helpful if not i will try to reach you there and thank you again

Reaction score
Can you help me with question 1 part C of chemistry may june 2013 qp 61. The marking scheme says gas syringe does not work. But I don't understand why. Thank you in advance for your help
Well if you look at the diagram that shows a collection of a gas in a gas syringe, the gas syringe only takes in gas from a small area, which is obviously not enough to cover the entire anode in the diagram seen in the question paper, that is why you cannot use a gas syringe.

Reaction score
Well if you look at the diagram that shows a collection of a gas in a gas syringe, the gas syringe only takes in gas from a small area, which is obviously not enough to cover the entire anode in the diagram seen in the question paper, that is why you cannot use a gas syringe.
Thank you so much!!