• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IELTS or TOEFL? Which one is better?

Reaction score
Hey people! :)
I wanted to ask whether I should go for IELTS or TOEFL?
I mean, which program has a better value and which one is easy?
Secondly, Will you suggest to prepare at home (Personal Tutor) or some coaching classes?

Reaction score
Hey people! :)
I wanted to ask whether I should go for IELTS or TOEFL?
I mean, which program has a better value and which one is easy?
Secondly, Will you suggest to prepare at home (Personal Tutor) or some coaching classes?

1. Both are English proficiency tests required for continuing higher education abroad or migrating to English speaking countries. TOEFL is solely an English proficiency exam of America that is required for getting admission in any educational instituition. IELTS, on the other hand, has wider recognition- Britain, Australia, New Zealand, EU countries, Canada and even USA now. It is an important prerequisite for university admissions and for immigration to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and EU countries. I think giving IELTS opens more opportunity doors than TOEFL.
2. TOEFL is easier than IELTS.
3. Self-study always pays better. Be familiar with the exam format, find the tips and strategies that work for you and practice official past papers under exam conditions. That's all you need to do.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Y
1. Both are English proficiency tests required for continuing higher education abroad or migrating to English speaking countries. TOEFL is solely an English proficiency exam of America that is required for getting admission in any educational instituition. IELTS, on the other hand, has wider recognition- Britain, Australia, New Zealand, EU countries, Canada and even USA now. It is an important prerequisite for university admissions and for immigration to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and EU countries. I think giving IELTS opens more opportunity doors than TOEFL.
2. TOEFL is easier than IELTS.
3. Self-study always pays better. Be familiar with the exam format, find the tips and strategies that work for you and practice official past papers under exam conditions. That's all you need to do.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot! :) It was really informative. I think I should go for IELTS.

Reaction score
Y
Thanks a lot! :) It was really informative. I think I should go for IELTS.
Great. You'll need to take the academic module because the general training module is for immigration. You can register for the test through this site: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/?mobile=N. Just download the Cambridge IELTS 6-9 and New Insight into IELTS books. Follow the daily lessons posted on www.ielts-simon.com and you're good to go. I studied this material and got an overall band 8 (L8.5 R 7.5, W 8, S 8). If you need any advice, just ask. :)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the information. :)
That's impressive. Band 8 is a really good score. :) Did you just study from that ielts-simon site?

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the information. :)
That's impressive. Band 8 is a really good score. :) Did you just study from that ielts-simon site?
Thanks! Yes I did. I followed his strategies for all four skills, copied his writing essays and sentence structures and practiced the cambridge IELTS 7-9 books.

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks a lot! :)
One last thing, if you have some proper past year sample papers. Do share it with me.

Reaction score
One more thing, the books will also contain General training writing task (the letters and essays) and reading passages, leave those out and only practice academic reading and writing passages ( the ones with graphs and essays) .