• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IAL Biology on may-june 2014

Reaction score
No worries - glad to help:)
I think my freaking out has passed (for now!!!)
I mainly just work from the work we've done in class - we get drilled quite a lot by a mean teacher!!!:eek:

nor

Reaction score
No worries - glad to help:)
I think my freaking out has passed (for now!!!)
I mainly just work from the work we've done in class - we get drilled quite a lot by a mean teacher!!!:eek:
u shall thank god for having a teacher providing u with this imp. information (even if he was mean !!:rolleyes:) i don't have any :oops::(
anyway i have got another question in the null hypothesis is using significant correlation or difference depend on the test used later in the question or it just depend on the givens .i mean like it depends on the things we are comparing only
i'm just getting quite confused with that :confused:
thx in advance.

Reaction score
wow, no teacher. That's tough.
Yes, if you are going to be using t-test or mann-Whitney, you would be looking at differences between two things, so your null hypothesis would be "there will be no significant difference..." But if you are eg changing temperature and looking at enzyme activity, this is looking for a correlation and the null hypothesis would be "there is no significant correlation between..." And use the spearman rank correlation test. Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Just quickly, as I'm freaking out a bit here about how close exams seem to be getting (!)... if you are comparing two populations/samples/experiments, you are probably going to be doing a t-Test or Mann-Whitney U test and you will be drawing a bar graph. If you are looking to see the efffect of a range of concentrations/temperatures etc, then it will be a Spearman rank correlation test and the graph will either be aline graph or a scatter graph (if there is actually no correlation at all). Chi-squared would be a bar chart too (if they ask for this) as you would be comparing different categories or groups. Someone else shout out if I'm talking rubbish :confused::confused:
That's totally right! (as per what I know) Just to add a lil, for t-Test or Mann-Whitney U test, its more of used when there are 2 conditions i.e one in which a subject receives some kind of treatment and a other is more of a control condition in which they do not, or may, in short comparing a performance in the two conditions.

nor

Reaction score
hi everyone \ salams:)
check this scientific article discusssion i bet it would boost ur grade (y)
credit goes to stafford Valentine
hope this would help
Pray to me everyone :)

Attachments

• scientific article by stafford final copy.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Guys can anyone upload the IAL biology papers units 1,2 and 3 with the marking scheme? Its actually found on edexcel's website but needs a username and password. I would be glad if anyone could get them and share it here.

Reaction score
If you are doing exam papers for units 3 and 6, Then you are doing IALs. A Levels do a research paper for Unit 3 and a research project for Unit 6, as far as I know. These projects are then either sent off to be marked by Edexcel or marked by your school and checked by Edexcel. Hope that makes sense??:)

Reaction score
If you are doing exam papers for units 3 and 6, Then you are doing IALs. A Levels do a research paper for Unit 3 and a research project for Unit 6, as far as I know. These projects are then either sent off to be marked by Edexcel or marked by your school and checked by Edexcel. Hope that makes sense??:)
Thanks.

nor

Reaction score
if any one have Edexcel practical materials created by Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology please upload it