• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was your maths 42 M1

Reaction score
btw for the last question i put all my answers in 2 sig figures becuase i got exact values but everyone said that i was supposed to put them in 3 sig figures? will my answers be considered wrong?

Reaction score
btw for the last question i put all my answers in 2 sig figures becuase i got exact values but everyone said that i was supposed to put them in 3 sig figures? will my answers be considered wrong?
not at all, it is fine

Reaction score
Alright tell me the questions 1, 2,5. 1 being the resistance P question, 2 being the train and power question, 5 being the coefficient of friction question.

Reaction score
Alright tell me the questions 1, 2,5. 1 being the resistance P question, 2 being the train and power question, 5 being the coefficient of friction question.
Challenge accepted

1)A runner of mass 80kg increases his speed from 4ms^-1 to 5.5ms^1 against a restistive force P over a distance of 60m. Total work done is 1200J. Find the value of P
2)A train of mass 240000kg travels up a slope inclined at 4 degrees to the horizontal. The resistance to the train's motion is 18000N. At the instant when its speed is 15ms^-1, its deceleration is 0.2ms^-2. Find the power of the train's engine
5)A particle of mass 20kg is on rough plane inclined at 60 degrees to the horizontal. A force of magnitude P which is parallel to the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane is applied to to the particle to "maintain equilibrium" the greatest value of P is twice the smallest value of P. Find the coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane

Edit: My memory serves me well I see

Reaction score
Challenge accepted

1)A runner of mass 80kg increases his speed from 4ms^-1 to 5.5ms^1 against a restistive force P over a distance of 60m. Total work done is 1200J. Find the value of P
2)A train of mass 240000kg travels up a slope inclined at 4 degrees to the horizontal. The resistance to the train's motion is 18000N. At the instant when its speed is 15ms^-1, its deceleration is 0.2ms^-2. Find the power of the train's engine
5)A particle of mass 20kg is on rough plane inclined at 60 degrees to the horizontal. A force of magnitude P which is parallel to the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane is applied to to the particle to "maintain equilibrium" the greatest value of P is twice the smallest value of P. Find the coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane

Edit: My memory serves me well I see
dude for what price did you buy it, i might need p3 as well.

Reaction score
Ok can someone help me out on this:
My friend showed me his working for question 1. He put gain in kinetic+work done by runner=1200J(he claims that the paper said the work done by runner and achieving increase in speed was 1200J). He then found the driving force of the runner. Put that driving force into F=ma to find P. It looks right to me but he is getting 1N for P. What's he doing wrong, I can't spot it

Reaction score
My friend showed me his working for question 1. He put gain in kinetic+work done by runner=1200J(he claims that the paper said the work done by runner and achieving increase in speed was 1200J). He then found the driving force of the runner. Put that driving force into F=ma to find P. It looks right to me but he is getting 1N for P. What's he doing wrong, I can't spot it
1200 not only included the work done in increasing the velocity but also against the resistance.

Reaction score
The total work done by the runner is the gain in K.E and the work done against resistance to motion , which is the product of the constant resistive force and the distance travelled. So in this case,
1200=K.E+(60*P)