• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was S1 Statistics 62?

Expected GT

• Total voters
Reaction score
Aha exactly 10 selections and 60 arrangements I got only 9 selections that's why I got only 54 arrangements. What I did exactly is that I wrote the arrangements under each selection but I didnt multiply by 3! I dont think there is a difference right ?? Anyway then I found that there are 30 selections out of 54 where the smallest number is 1 and then 18 out of 54 with smallest number 2 then only 6 out of the 54 with the smallest number 4 so apparently the number of arrangements I got where the smallest number is 2 or 4 is right but 1 is not right as it should have been 24 instead of 18 so yeah I hope I would get those 3 marks as you said because I really wish that I can get the star in the Math Alevel and el7amdullah all the other questions are totally right .
We simply had to calculate the selections;which were 10.
Note them down starting with 1 then 2 and then 4.
We had to write probabilities for only 1,2 and 4 as they can be the smallest digits in each selection.
There were 6 with 1 smallest
3 with 2
1 with 4.
Probability table: 0.6,0.3,0.1.
You will get 2 at max.
You didn't get the selections right.You didn't get the arrangements right either.You used the wrong information.Got wrong probabilities.
I think 2 is the max you can get but considering how tough the checking is in a levels,you never know!

Reaction score
Yup i did the same method,but the question was of 3 marks so i wondered why we had to take numerous selections but then i did that minus one and it gave same ans so i knew both were correct in the hall.In the exam i did that 3 selection addition one though ;)
In exam we have to show complete workings right?
So I wrote 1C1 as well to show that we are selecting one of them.
Although the end result was same.

Reaction score
In exam we have to show complete workings right?
So I wrote 1C1 as well to show that we are selecting one of them.
Although the end result was same.
Either way its the same thing.My sir said examiners dont nitpick and just look at the genral attempt and answer not the insignificant things,though i myself did include 1C1

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the probability distribution table, I got the following:

S ----------- P(S)

1 ----------- 9/25
2 ----------- 7/25
4 ----------- 5/25
6 ----------- 3/25
7 ----------- 1/25

The probabilities add to 1.

I made this considering that 7 could be considered the smallest digit only for 777, 6 would be the smallest digit for 767, 676, and 666, and so on for the other values of S.

I don't think it's right that you assume only certain values of S can have combinations with the smallest number, in 777 for example 7 is the least and the greatest digit at the same time (obviously, since it's the only digit) so it can be counted as one of the combinations with 7 as the least digit.

Reaction score

S P(S)

1 9/25
2 7/25
4 5/25
6 3/25
7 1/25

I made this considering that 7 could be considered the smallest digit only for 777, 6 would be the smallest digit for 767, 676, and 666, and so on for the other values of S.

I don't think it's right that you assume only certain values of S can have combinations with the smallest number, in 555 for example 5 is the least and the greatest digit at the same time (obviously, since it's the only digit) so it can be counted as one of the combinations with 5 as the least digit.
The thing is ,we only had 5 limited disks.So there could be no repetition.

Reaction score

S ----------- P(S)

1 ----------- 9/25
2 ----------- 7/25
4 ----------- 5/25
6 ----------- 3/25
7 ----------- 1/25

I don't think it's right that you assume only certain values of S can have combinations with the smallest number, in 777 for example 7 is the least and the greatest digit at the same time (obviously, since it's the only digit) so it can be counted as one of the combinations with 7 as the least digit.

How can 7 or 6 be the smallest digits in any combination? LOL.