• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was S1 Statistics 62?

Expected GT

• Total voters
Reaction score
I did them all well except Q5b I got only 54 selections instead of 60 and I wrote all the 54 selections one by one and the weird thing is that my probabilities summed up to 1 that's why I didnt revise it so how many marks do you think I would get out of the 5 marks ??

Reaction score
I did them all well except Q5b I got only 54 selections instead of 60 and I wrote all the 54 selections one by one and the weird thing is that my probabilities summed up to 1 that's why I didnt revise it so how many marks do you think I would get out of the 5 marks ??
There were 10 selections and 60 arrangements.... Note the difference.... I was about to make the same mistake until i read the qstn again... Anyways u will get 3/5marks if ur probabilities sum up to 1. So u'll lose only two marks.... 1 for mistake and 1 for wrong answer.... Rest marks you will get for defining S as (1,2,4), for making an attempt of finding probability(Method marks) and last for sum of probability to become 1

Reaction score
Guys i just drew the table and didn't get time to complete so my probabilities didn't add up to 1
i listed a few of the possible selections
in the 7th question i forgot to take 0.80 as negative so my mean and s.d. came out wrong
in the 6th question none of my answers were correct but i think i gained method marks in each of the bits
can anyone tell me how many marks i lost?

Reaction score
There were 10 selections and 60 arrangements.... Note the difference.... I was about to make the same mistake until i read the qstn again... Anyways u will get 3/5marks if ur probabilities sum up to 1. So u'll lose only two marks.... 1 for mistake and 1 for wrong answer.... Rest marks you will get for defining S as (1,2,4), for making an attempt of finding probability(Method marks) and last for sum of probability to become 1

Aha exactly 10 selections and 60 arrangements I got only 9 selections that's why I got only 54 arrangements. What I did exactly is that I wrote the arrangements under each selection but I didnt multiply by 3! I dont think there is a difference right ?? Anyway then I found that there are 30 selections out of 54 where the smallest number is 1 and then 18 out of 54 with smallest number 2 then only 6 out of the 54 with the smallest number 4 so apparently the number of arrangements I got where the smallest number is 2 or 4 is right but 1 is not right as it should have been 24 instead of 18 so yeah I hope I would get those 3 marks as you said because I really wish that I can get the star in the Math Alevel and el7amdullah all the other questions are totally right .

Reaction score
Aha exactly 10 selections and 60 arrangements I got only 9 selections that's why I got only 54 arrangements. What I did exactly is that I wrote the arrangements under each selection but I didnt multiply by 3! I dont think there is a difference right ?? Anyway then I found that there are 30 selections out of 54 where the smallest number is 1 and then 18 out of 54 with smallest number 2 then only 6 out of the 54 with the smallest number 4 so apparently the number of arrangements I got where the smallest number is 2 or 4 is right but 1 is not right as it should have been 24 instead of 18 so yeah I hope I would get those 3 marks as you said because I really wish that I can get the star in the Math Alevel and el7amdullah all the other questions are totally right .
I dunno exactly what u did there.... But i guess u found arrangements first and then converted them back to selections.... Well if this is the case than u might get 4/5 too. Cheer up even i made a silly mistake. Accidentally multiplied 365days with the probability in last qstn :/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guys plz help me out... In Q5ii probability distribution table I did a mistake.. There were 10 selections so around 60 ways to arrange (6 for each selection) but I made a mistake and took it 30 and my probabilities were 18/30, 9/30, 3/30 but this gives the same answer as 0.6, 0.3, 0.1. Can anyone tell me how much marks will I loose

Reaction score
Hey Guys,In the last part of last question,we had to make two equations right.But i made a very silly mistake in the first equation in which we had to change signs.I took phi of the probability given not phi inverse :( i did equation 2 perfectly correct,please tell me how many marks will i lose??

Reaction score
Nearly 24 hours have passed so i'll just post the answers here for all to see:
2. Mean 45.8 sd 14.9
3.that was all diagram and stuff.
4. X=0.81 next 12/31
5. 0.6 was of even even odd and distribution was 1 0.6 2 0.3 4 0.1
6 20,60 and 1210
7.expected days 7 t=37 min and last mean 8.94 sd 2.42
for q6 I didn't get 1210. I calculated it as 13C8 * 2 .can I score atleast 1 mark bcz the question did not state it is necessary that either of the two people are to be selected in the group?

Reaction score
Oh my gwad, yap!!!
But the method that stroke in ma mind first was the one we did... xD
Yup i did the same method,but the question was of 3 marks so i wondered why we had to take numerous selections but then i did that minus one and it gave same ans so i knew both were correct in the hall.In the exam i did that 3 selection addition one though ;)

Reaction score
Yup i did the same method,but the question was of 3 marks so i wondered why we had to take numerous selections but then i did that minus one and it gave same ans so i knew both were correct in the hall.In the exam i did that 3 selection addition one though ;)
First of all, I didn't gave the exam. xD
But as being junior of one giving exams, they were disusing the questions, they were solving in book, I saw they are doing some long WRONG method, I showed them how to. :cool: :D

Reaction score
Or quite simply 14C9(total selections) - 12C7(both together).although i used your method :p
Dude are we long lost brothers :eek:
Cox i did both methods and it confirmed me that ans was 1210 :p
Although I wrote 12C8+12C8+12C9