• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Chem P4? 9701/42

Reaction score
I am very curious 'bout this
Mine didn't go well as i expected it to be.
What do you think what the Gt will be?I don't think it will be too low as some might expect.
If it does go down you can thank me for that.You are welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haha mate the site just opened and you couldn't help yourself asking the most frequently asked question in the past week!! I would say the threshold is gonna drop because the paper was well targetted with respect to calculations and new syllabus thus creating problems for more than 70% of the candidates!!

Nobpdy is complaining about any other paper it is just this chem paper that has everybody worried.

Anyway i expect it to be at 58/100 for an A and mark my words you are gonna come back to this post in August ;)

Reaction score
One of the more difficult papers, I reckon. I'd been acing most of the past papers, but with this paper almost every question had an ugly twist or trick. Even the Hess' law question was messed up. How'd you guys find that?

Reaction score
One of the more difficult papers, I reckon. I'd been acing most of the past papers, but with this paper almost every question had an ugly twist or trick. Even the Hess' law question was messed up. How'd you guys find that?
Ye i got that wrong too...

Reaction score
Usually paper is really easy after new syllabus but the examiners gave hard questions this year

Reaction score
does anyone know how they actually calculate the gradings? given the raw mark was 160/260 for A last year, is there a certain % paper 42 and 52 that is accounted for the raw mark or is it just the addition of both?

Reaction score
does anyone know how they actually calculate the gradings? given the raw mark was 160/260 for A last year, is there a certain % paper 42 and 52 that is accounted for the raw mark or is it just the addition of both?
They take percentage of AS and A2 both for final result.

38.5% is weightage of 42, 11.5% of 52, 11.5% of AS Practical, 15.5% of MCQs and 23% of AS 22.

Reaction score

38.5% is weightage of 42, 11.5% of 52, 11.5% of AS Practical, 15.5% of MCQs and 23% of AS 22.
i did components 12, 22, 33 for AS and now im doing 42, 52 soo according to the overall threshold values i need a sum of 160 out of 260 in order to get an A for my final result is it?

Reaction score
Threshold is calculated in following way!!

1. Add raw marks for P1,2,4 and P5
2. Multiply marks of P3 with 0.75
3. Add all marks and then whatever the score you will get is out of 260 and according to the threshold that is where you will be placed.

Reaction score

3. Add all marks and then whatever the score you will get is out of 260 and according to the threshold that is where you will be placed.
Hey :) how do you calculate the threshold of Maths P-3? How was the paper for you?

How was Physics, too?

Reaction score
This paper was the toughest one to date tbh!
And why did they give a question from enzymes? the topic was removed from the new syllabus ?
how did u had to do that hess' law part?

Reaction score
This paper was the toughest one to date tbh!
And why did they give a question from enzymes? the topic was removed from the new syllabus ?
how did u had to do that hess' law part?

I just calculated the enthalpy of products and reactants, using bond energies etc. Used it to get the answer. Wbu?

Reaction score

So out of 260, where do you think A and A* will be at?
And tell your prediction for Maths too out of 250...

Reaction score
I just calculated the enthalpy of products and reactants, using bond energies etc. Used it to get the answer. Wbu?
yeah i also did something like that and my answer was -500 something. But im not sure thats the right answer though. What about the part with the cadmium ions and the dilution thing? my answer for that concentration was in the power of 10^-3

Reaction score
yeah i also did something like that and my answer was -500 something. But im not sure thats the right answer though. What about the part with the cadmium ions and the dilution thing? my answer for that concentration was in the power of 10^-3

I don't remember that question. ._.

I'm probably losing so many marks in paper 4! Probably like 50 or more.... *sigh*