• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How frequently should I use a calculator in CIE IGCSE Mathematics

Can I use my calculator throughout all my paper even it's simple

• No, You have to show working, Only do complicated ones

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes, its allowed dont worry

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I love doing stuff with my mind. But when its comes to stuff in 0.00.... (Point Zeros) then I get lazy. I pickup my calculator and do it. However sometimes I use it for normal additions and subtractions. So I am worried that what if I do my who exam using my calculator? I mean even the add and minus. Is that bad for my Grades?

Can anyone explain how frequently should I use the Calculator and when I should'nt use the calculator and show my working

I got an FX570MS. Is this allowed in my EXAM? MY calculator is below
I am attending IGCSE MATHS and PHYSICS

THANKS
calculadora-cientifica-casio-fx-570ms-401-funciones-1311-MCO3409252737_112012-F.jpg

Reaction score
Firstly- Your calculator is perfectly alright. As long as it does not have any advanced storage facility, its acceptable.

Secondly- Show all the relevant working. I assume you're in add maths. Think logically about the sort of working that the examiner will require. For instance suppose its a trigonometry equation. You need to show how you rearrange the equation and convert everything to only one trig function. Or in Relative Velocity- A diagram is a must. However in stuff like simultaneous equation which involves a quadratic, you need not show the actual solving of the equation.

However I assume you already know all this.

When it comes to normal DMAS, you need not show the steps, unless its something like Matrix.

However if I speak about my personal preference, then I usually show all the steps possible, and I've always scored 95%+ . Even my teacher said that correcting my paper is enjoyable for him, since I show all the proper steps, and he is never confused as to what I've done. Believe it or not, I feel showing steps is an important part of your overall paper presentation. Examiners usually dont spend too much time on a paper. But I'm sure they love to see papers where they dont have to think about what a Candidate has written. A neat paper with all the steps will usually score more, because examiners will be pleased with that papers and they tend to award papers where everything is written clearly. Also don't hesitate to write an explanation for your workings. If you feel you have done some complicated and strange working that the examiner might cut marks for, try to explain your steps.

TL;DR- No it is not necessary to show these petty workings, BUT it produces a good impression on the examiner, which can ultimately get you a higher score. And its just the last exam. Give it all that you have and don't risk losing any marks. Good luck and hope this helped :)