• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help on this Chemistry HL question?

Reaction score
Its from the May 2012 Paper 2 (Tuesday 8 May 2012 afternoon)
Code for the exam is M12/4/CHEMI/HP2/ENG/TZ1/XX

It is regarding question 1c.
I had read it and did not comprehend what they wanted me to do.
Here is the question:
XP2.jpg

And here is the table for that question{there was a(i),(ii),(iii) and b(i),(ii) so this table refers to a lot of other questions as well as the one above}:
XP1.jpg

The answer written in the mark scheme :
XP3.jpg

Can someone please explain ?

Reaction score
They ask you if the mechanism is correct: if it were the rate equation would be Rate=k(Br2) because the slowest step is the rate determining step. However because the rate is (you can see it from part a) Rate=k(CH3COCH3)(H+) (1st order reaction with respect to CH3COCH3 and H+, as one doubles the rate doubles too) then you need to say that his hypothesis is wrong and explain why.Do you understand now?
By the way do you take business as a subject?:D

Reaction score
They ask you if the mechanism is correct: if it were the rate equation would be Rate=k(Br2) because the slowest step is the rate determining step. However because the rate is (you can see it from part a) Rate=k(CH3COCH3)(H+) (1st order reaction with respect to CH3COCH3 and H+, as one doubles the rate doubles too) then you need to say that his hypothesis is wrong and explain why.Do you understand now?
By the way do you take business as a subject?:D
OH ! thank you so much ! Sometimes i read questions and overcomplicate them(you can never be too sure with the IB).
And no I don'y take business, it never was my forte :p
Thank you again !!