• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Guide and Tips-O Levels

Reaction score
Excuse me, can you guys help me out in Islamiat please? I'm an 02 student, and have 5 months left to prepare myself. The thing is, I am very confused about Islamiat. There are countless reference books, and our teacher keeps stressing us to read each syllabus topic from each book everytime we read it. So I have 6 books (Yasmin Malik, Farkhanda Noor, Ayesha Tariq, Ghulam Shabbir, Bilal Aslam, Iftikhar-ul-Haq). All I'm asking is, is it necessary to study from all these? Can't I just study from 1 or 2 books at most? I understand that some topics are better given in some books, but all this has become too confusing and timetaking. I'm aiming for A* IA. Can you guys tell me the best books? Or the best topics written in each individual books?
I'm waiting for your help.
No that not true. You can not even study from any book and still get an A*. Just read Iftikhar-ul-haq and practice past papers
I want to get A*$ in add maths and o level d maths, any tips
Regards
Do past papers and practice a lot. The additional mathematics book has some great questions to practice from

Reaction score
Any advice for commerce 1123 its a dry subject and i haven't even read the book completely (Mary Trigwell Jones) makes me go to sleep.:sleep: I solved a 2012 past paper p1 was easy but p2 is difficult please help me on this matter as well.Help will be REALLY appreciated.

Reaction score
Can anybody please please tell me the important battles in Abu Bakr's caliphate? :3
Thankyouu :')

Reaction score
Can anybody please please tell me the important battles in Abu Bakr's caliphate? :3
Thankyouu :')
Expedition To syria
Wars Against False prophets and the tribes who refused to pay Zakat
Campaign In Bahrain,Yemen,syria
That's it. I'm doing juxt these :)

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Iam creating this thread on Behalf of a fellow member at another forum.(By his permission :p)
The original thread: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f163/official-%91o-levels%92-thread-123081/
:)
This is a guide and also Tips for O levels students. Ask any questions you want and i will send them to the Author. All the content below is in the wording of the author
Okay now, START :)

For people who have yet to start their O Levels and are here to seek O Level subject choice help:

Well, this element depends more on the school you’re studying/aiming to study in than yourself. Yes, you have the choice, but…
The most obvious choices are the Commerce group (Compulsories + Business, Economics, Commerce/Accounts/Both), Medical group (Compulsories + Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Engineering (Compulsories, Physics, Chemistry, in some cases Computers/ICT and in some cases Add Math (how ever most schools give Add Math as an optional subject).

Of course, apart from these, many ‘optional’ subjects are available. There’s an array of them. Sociology, Environmental Management, Add Maths, Commerce, World History, Combined Sciences etc.

However, with these choices comes the ‘more’ important element of ‘what to choose’. Please don’t pick every subject you can think of. It’s seriously the worst choice. Pick the subjects you have a remote interest in. If you have an interest in Geography, and feel you have the ability to grasp the concepts and benefit from a subject pertaining to Geography, you may add Environmental Management to your tally, or say you are certain that you’re opting for Engineering the future, then Add Math is, I’d say, as good as a compulsory for you.

The ‘billion’ A’s are useful only and ONLY if you’re applying abroad, the US in particular. While it’s commendable that the O Level results make about only 20-30% of your Academics half of the application, and the Academic’s so acclaimed ‘half’ itself is barely about 30% (excluding your SAT scores).
If you’re certain you’re staying in Pakistan, and are to take up, say, Engineering, you can go with Physics, Chemistry, Add Math. Even Computers is not needed at the O Levels’ level, however keeping it is an added plus point. If you are in for an additional A, you may take up another subject of remote interest. A common O Level’s Engineering sighted students’ subject of interest is Biology, and I too would recommend it as Bio-Technology and Genetic Engineering is a subject of great scope ahead and has a bright future, unlike the current generation’s finance and corporate banking based plight.

Apart from these, however, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend opting for second and third languages. URDU DOES NOT COUNT AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. French is very easy to learn (slowly over 2-3 years)(possible quicker too but gets difficult) (the O Levels French/DELF A1/B2 level) and is very, very highly regarded by the Universities abroad. Heck, even Aga Khan teach you Spanish in the first few months of the medical courses. Universities abroad, and now here, give A LOT of damn weight-age to the proficiency in understanding and speaking languages apart from English. Spanish, German, Chinese and French are great options. I’d recommend French and Spanish as they’re fairly easy to learn and actually fun. Been there done that.

Wow. I’ve drifted so long on this. Anyway. If anyone here wishing to ask about the subject choices here, please feel free and leave a reply in the thread pertaining to the field of choice of your future career, as well as the university/universities you wish to apply to aswell as your academic record and we’ll be more than glad to help.

Coming to the more important aspect, and bringing the thread to why it was created; Helping current O Level students.

General Tips for the preparation of the final O Level exams:

Make sure you’ve read the syllabus, complete syllabus atleast once. They’re readily available on xtremepapers under the y12/y13/y14 categories depending on the subject.

- Make sure you’ve done everything before actually starting the past papers. (This is for the O3 students).

- Make ABSOLUTELY sure you DO NOT touch the redspot solved pastpaper books. This is especially for the O3 students.

- Take honest, timed assessments of yourself. Do the pastpapers. The last 5 years, both sessions = 10 past papers are more than enough. DO NOT cheat through the exam AND DO NOT even for ONCE peek into the marking scheme. This KILLS. Assess yourself. Mark your shortcomings, revise them, in case of any ambiguity contact your teachers or post here, and re-try that question.

- Try to NOT be too dependent on tuitions. It’s possible to get good grades without them. Been there, done that.

- DO NOT EVER rely on rote study for O Levels (ratta), even for Pakstudies and Islamiyat. DO NOT memorize the books and the past papers. THIS IS NOT what CIE wants!

Specific tips:
I’m going to start with the compulsories. These are the tips and guidelines given by those, and added upon inquiry of the students who got A*s and A’s over the past 2-3 years.

Pak Studies:

First off, many students appearing for this exam, including myself , left section 3, often termed as the ‘shit’ part of paper 1. Section 3 is the post 1947 part. It’s an optional, or so we suppose, part. Optional in the sense that the examiner will never and can never, until they change the syllabus format, set more than two questions from section 3. There will, however, be ATLEAST one question from it, and a maximum of two. If you have prepared well enough for Section 1 and 2, I can guarantee you an A* provided you answered the way they want. I’d be opinionated on this one, however, I left section 3, yet got an A* in the paper 1 part, which is History, despite getting Question 1 a, Question 2a wrong(this is where the percentile part kicks in and saves your arse).

- The tips which I’d advice is atleast 2x5 years of past papers of paper 1 and 2 x 7 years of past papers for paper 2. Your paper 2 prep should be spotless and you should score atleast 95% to achieve the best marks and cope with any marks being lost in paper 1.

- Do not write too lengthy answers. Our teachers these days mostly ill guided themselves, and seldom d o they read the syllabus themselves. CIE requires around 4-5 lines of 10 words per line for Qxa (4 marks, source response). Around 10-14 lines for the 7 mark ones, and 2 pages of the CIE sheet (each containing perhaps around 20-22 lines) for the 14 mark ones.

- Don’t go off topic even the slightest. It makes the examiner drop down a level on the marking scheme.

- Incase you’re running out of time, and it’s obvious that you won’t be able to finish in time, instead of leaving it incomplete, write in notation form.
For example, you have a question that requires you to state the reasons why the Congress rule was hated and you’re midway into it. You know you cannot finish. The sentence structure would become something like “Biased Hindu rulers abused and tortured Muslims. Hindu's suppressed Muslims and the possible usurping of Islam. Hindi replaced Urdu as the national language. Muslims were attacked and ridiculed especially when worshipping in Mosques. An offending national anthem, Bande Matarm, which made derogatory remarks to Muslims and Muslim saints was made compulsory. Wardha educational scheme was imposed under which students bowed before Gandhi's image. Tringa flag issue where Muslims weren't given a share in the flag colours.” Get the point? You can write this concisely in 2 minutes. You cannot, however, explain every point. If you began explaining them, you’d probably run out of time by the time you’d reach Bande Mataram, hence making you lose more marks than you would by not explaining but stating everything. Please remember, this is only to be used as a last resort life saver when out of time.
You have a 14 mark question, say, and you are half way into it. You know there’s no possible way you can finish it and only 2 minutes are left. You don’t write till the 2 minutes end and leave the answer abruptly.

- Pertaining to answering the 14 mark questions,
  • Give both sides of the stories ; the goods and the bads
  • Give all details you can think of relevant to the answer
  • Give all relevant reformers details if you get the reformers question
  • Most importantly, give a conclusion, stating why you

believe, say if the question was, xyz was the most influential, explain, giving the pro’s and cons of all of them, conclude saying who in your opinion was the most successful/influential etc. The 14 mark questions will ALWAYS require a conclusion.
really helpfull

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me that how is it if one adds a real historical event in english o leveel p1 for narrative essay and then shapes his essay accordingly?Plz tell me!

Reaction score
PLEASE ANYONE!!!!
Tell me that how is it if one adds a real historical event in english o leveel p1 for narrative essay and then shapes his essay accordingly?Plz tell me!

Reaction score
Would taking my exams in oct nov instead of may june effect my grades ?? one of my friends said so ...:cry: sorry if its a stupid question :p

Reaction score
From my experience,

1- Environmental Management
2- Sociology
3- English Language

4- Economics
5- Chemistry (Though this may vary for some)
6- Commerce
7- Business

Physics and Bio aren't tough either. O LEvels is very, very easy, to be very honest.
are all these subjects available for pa
From my experience,

1- Environmental Management
2- Sociology
3- English Language

4- Economics
5- Chemistry (Though this may vary for some)
6- Commerce
7- Business

Physics and Bio aren't tough either. O LEvels is very, very easy, to be very honest.
are all these subjects available to private candidates from Pakistan ?