• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Guidance for students starting O level

Reaction score
If all the topics in syllabus are clear in your mind then you do not need to attend classes of Statistics like i am giving. so i am assuming that you are expert in the following topics
1. General ideas of sampling and surveys.Bias: how it arises and is avoided.Including knowledge of the terms: random
sample, stratified random sample, quota sample, systematic sample.
2. The nature of a variable. Including knowledge of the terms: discrete, continuous, quantitative and qualitative.
3. Classification, tabulation and interpretation of data. Pictorial representation of data; the purpose and use of various forms, their advantages and disadvantages. Including pictograms, pie charts, bar charts, sectional and percentage bar charts, dual bar charts, change charts.
4. Frequency distributions; frequency polygons and histograms. Including class boundaries and mid-points, class intervals.
5. Cumulative frequency distributions, curves (ogives) and polygons.
6. Measures of central tendency and their appropriate use; mode and modal class, median and mean. Measures of dispersion and their appropriate use; range, interquartile range, variance and standard deviation. Calculation of the mean, the variance and the standard deviation from a set of numbers, a frequency distribution and a grouped frequency
distribution, including the use of an assumed mean. Estimation of the median, quartiles and percentiles from a set of numbers, a cumulative frequency curve or polygon and by linear interpolation from a cumulative frequency
table. The effect on mean and standard deviation of adding a constant to each observation and of
multiplying each observation by a constant. Linear transformation of data to a given mean
and standard deviation.
7. Index numbers, composite index numbers, price relatives, crude and standardised rates.
8. Moving averages. Including knowledge of the terms: time series, trend, seasonal variation, cyclic variation. Centering will be expected, where appropriate.
9. Scatter diagrams; lines of best fit. Including the method of semi-averages for fitting a straight line; the derivation of the
equation of the fitted straight line in the form y = mx + c.
10. Elementary ideas of probability. Including the treatment of mutually exclusive and independent events.
11. Simple probability and frequency distributions for a discrete variable. Expectation. Including expected profit and loss in simple games; idea of a fair game.
If you have clear concepts of all then you need only to practice past papers of Abdul Waris. If all the concepts are not clear then attend classes.

Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor

Experienced and Renowned teacher of O levels at Orient Collegiate.
Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Stats and Accounts
Hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi

thank you very much sir! :)

Reaction score
Okay, I have not yet started it. I get A in maths in my school level exams. So what is the least time I can start to get well prepared?
If you know that the examinations are on 7 and 9 oct!

Reaction score
If all the topics in syllabus are clear in your mind then you do not need to attend classes of Statistics like i am giving. so i am assuming that you are expert in the following topics
1. General ideas of sampling and surveys.Bias: how it arises and is avoided.Including knowledge of the terms: random
sample, stratified random sample, quota sample, systematic sample.
2. The nature of a variable. Including knowledge of the terms: discrete, continuous, quantitative and qualitative.
3. Classification, tabulation and interpretation of data. Pictorial representation of data; the purpose and use of various forms, their advantages and disadvantages. Including pictograms, pie charts, bar charts, sectional and percentage bar charts, dual bar charts, change charts.
4. Frequency distributions; frequency polygons and histograms. Including class boundaries and mid-points, class intervals.
5. Cumulative frequency distributions, curves (ogives) and polygons.
6. Measures of central tendency and their appropriate use; mode and modal class, median and mean. Measures of dispersion and their appropriate use; range, interquartile range, variance and standard deviation. Calculation of the mean, the variance and the standard deviation from a set of numbers, a frequency distribution and a grouped frequency
distribution, including the use of an assumed mean. Estimation of the median, quartiles and percentiles from a set of numbers, a cumulative frequency curve or polygon and by linear interpolation from a cumulative frequency
table. The effect on mean and standard deviation of adding a constant to each observation and of
multiplying each observation by a constant. Linear transformation of data to a given mean
and standard deviation.
7. Index numbers, composite index numbers, price relatives, crude and standardised rates.
8. Moving averages. Including knowledge of the terms: time series, trend, seasonal variation, cyclic variation. Centering will be expected, where appropriate.
9. Scatter diagrams; lines of best fit. Including the method of semi-averages for fitting a straight line; the derivation of the
equation of the fitted straight line in the form y = mx + c.
10. Elementary ideas of probability. Including the treatment of mutually exclusive and independent events.
11. Simple probability and frequency distributions for a discrete variable. Expectation. Including expected profit and loss in simple games; idea of a fair game.
If you have clear concepts of all then you need only to practice past papers of Abdul Waris. If all the concepts are not clear then attend classes.

Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor

Experienced and Renowned teacher of O levels at Orient Collegiate.
Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Stats and Accounts
Hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi

Not at all but have done all quite , perfect or not paper might tell

Reaction score
Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor
Experienced and Renowned teacher of O/A levels at Orient Collegiate
Crash Classes for A2/A level Economics will start from 1st December 2013.
Classes of O level Economics, Business Studies, Maths and Accounts starting from 1st September 2013.

Hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist http://www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi, Pakistan.
Sir I am doing my O level at Beaocon House can you tell me the tips for getting A* in PS and Islamiat. I will be grateful to you.

Reaction score
Sir I am doing my O level at Beaocon House can you tell me the tips for getting A* in PS and Islamiat. I will be grateful to you.
I don't know if you find this helpful or not but as I've got an A* in PAK Studies, lemme share how I prepared.

To be very honest I got B in mocks. I sucked in history cuz time always ran out.
I started practicing past papers. I didn't do much but I would recommend you to do. As the paper pattern is also different this time.
For Geography (PS P2) start doing the past paper questions topically. If you feel you've covered all the topics from past papers. Do a yearly paper to judge yourself and make a decision accordingly.

And yeah... remember not to read your notes before the exam. Instead read your answers to recent past paper questions. That's more helpful

Good luck.

Reaction score
I don't know if you find this helpful or not but as I've got an A* in PAK Studies, lemme share how I prepared.

To be very honest I got B in mocks. I sucked in history cuz time always ran out.
I started practicing past papers. I didn't do much but I would recommend you to do. As the paper pattern is also different this time.
For Geography (PS P2) start doing the past paper questions topically. If you feel you've covered all the topics from past papers. Do a yearly paper to judge yourself and make a decision accordingly.

And yeah... remember not to read your notes before the exam. Instead read your answers to recent past paper questions. That's more helpful

Good luck.
Thank you very much i wanna know how many books did you used for the preparation and which books secondly can you guide me websites or topicals are enough. someof my teahcers say to cram the topicals are they right. I will be highly grateful to you and cn you share with me for how many times should we revise the topics from book. Honestly speaking i hate notes so i donot make any notes and donot like but how significant are they . Cn u also guide me for Islamiat. I will be very much thankful to you as I have just started my O level. I prayed for your success may Allah give you good reward. Ameen.

Reaction score
Thank you very much i wanna know how many books did you used for the preparation and which books secondly can you guide me websites or topicals are enough. someof my teahcers say to cram the topicals are they right. I will be highly grateful to you and cn you share with me for how many times should we revise the topics from book. Honestly speaking i hate notes so i donot make any notes and donot like but how significant are they . Cn u also guide me for Islamiat. I will be very much thankful to you as I have just started my O level. I prayed for your success may Allah give you good reward. Ameen.

Well for History I read Nigel Kelly's book but that wasn't enough. Our sir made us write answers to every possible questions which could come from a certain topic. As you don't have that faculty, you should do questions from past papers. Make an answer from yourself. Take text from book. Extract knowledge/points from marking scheme and join them together. That would be a perfect answer for your question.
Secondly, you're gonna have a time problem. Unless you're too speedy. For that you should solve a whole paper and have a stopwatch with you. Try out methods which conserve time. Like I used to solve the questions in which I was perfect first. Others later on.

Now for the Geography... I did read a book but didn't found it too helpful. Nor my sir gave lectures from the book. Instead he used to deliver lectures. Just listen to lectures carefully and you'll gain alot of knowledge. And yeah, think widely as well. Look statistics of our country. All you have to learn from book is the lines of latitude and longitude. (Points of important cities).
The best learning for geography is learning from Marking scheme.

For Islamiat... To be honest, I got a B.
But I know my mistakes. Paper practice is most important there as well. Try learning the points rather than whole stories. Quotations / References are very very important. And yeah, ofcourse. The marking scheme / examiner report.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well for History I read Nigel Kelly's book but that wasn't enough. Our sir made us write answers to every possible questions which could come from a certain topic. As you don't have that faculty, you should do questions from past papers. Make an answer from yourself. Take text from book. Extract knowledge/points from marking scheme and join them together. That would be a perfect answer for your question.
Secondly, you're gonna have a time problem. Unless you're too speedy. For that you should solve a whole paper and have a stopwatch with you. Try out methods which conserve time. Like I used to solve the questions in which I was perfect first. Others later on.

Now for the Geography... I did read a book but didn't found it too helpful. Nor my sir gave lectures from the book. Instead he used to deliver lectures. Just listen to lectures carefully and you'll gain alot of knowledge. And yeah, think widely as well. Look statistics of our country. All you have to learn from book is the lines of latitude and longitude. (Points of important cities).
The best learning for geography is learning from Marking scheme.

For Islamiat... To be honest, I got a B.
But I know my mistakes. Paper practice is most important there as well. Try learning the points rather than whole stories. Quotations / References are very very important. And yeah, ofcourse. The marking scheme / examiner report.
Thnx...............................................:):):):)(y):D:):):):)