• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Guidance for students starting O level

Reaction score
yes i will be glad to help write in detail what help do you need

Thankyou :).....Well the problem is dat i heard dat if we do A levels after o levels we cant easily get into med colgs....My result of o levels is 2 A stars 3 As 2 Bs and 1 C.....so if i get straight A's in A levels can i get into med colg in Pakistan? Because if the answer is NO then I'll completely change my path now and take Accounts ,economics and Maths in A levels and aim for C.A......What do u suggest? A levels in Sciences or A level in humanities?

ABM

Reaction score
Thankyou :).....Well the problem is dat i heard dat if we do A levels after o levels we cant easily get into med colgs....My result of o levels is 2 A stars 3 As 2 Bs and 1 C.....so if i get straight A's in A levels can i get into med colg in Pakistan? Because if the answer is NO then I'll completely change my path now and take Accounts ,economics and Maths in A levels and aim for C.A......What do u suggest? A levels in Sciences or A level in humanities?

Your Results are good in O levels. If you want to take Med it is good Now as far as admission in A level is concerned top notch schools like KGS and Beconhouse school prefer students who have A or A* in core subjects in O level in your case Physics, Chemistry and Biology since you did not mention subjects i assume you got good result but do not worry other schools will accept B's. Now you also need to take Physics, Chemistry and Biology no exceptions for two reasons
1) If you want to take admission in Govt college / university you need HSSC equivalency for which requirements are GCE O and A Level are considered equivalent to Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) subject to meeting the specified requirements for various groups: Pre-Medical Group: Eight O Level subjects (including English, Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology) and three A Levels (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) with minimum E Grade. I have attached IBCC documents from which you can calculate your marks in equivalency.
2) I attended Dr. Mark Winterbottom's conference in which he told that in UK they accept candidates who have given Physics, Chemistry and Biology in O and A levels. Dr. Mark is the examiner of science in Cambridge university.

Although Private Universities set their own requirements. Although Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) has set rules that follows:
At least 60% marks in HSSC or equivalent in the case of O and A Levels. Evidence of this is through the IBCC equivalence certificate. At least 40% weighting should be given to the results of admission tests. Provincial bodies and private medical colleges then set the criteria for their own test and exams, using the above guidelines. So you can calculate HSSC equivalency if it is 60% for details visit www.pmdc.org.pk but be sure to check with private university as i said they are allowed to maintain their own standard which you can find from their website or prospectus.
I hope that it helps if you need any other help feel free to contact me.

Attachments

• Pakistan Recognition brochure.pdf
    349.8 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Thankyou so much :) So i have decided to take Bio Phy Chem and psychology in A levels after taking advice from you....I did O levels from Beaconhouse and will continue A levels from there....I am just worried if these O level grades are enough to get into medical collegue or shud i reappear in Math and Chem....my grades were:
Eng and Pakstudies : A stars
Biology,Physics,Urdu: A
Chemistry ,Isl : B
MAth : C
Do u think i should reappear to get a better percentage of o levels or are these results enough?

ABM

Reaction score
Thankyou so much :) So i have decided to take Bio Phy Chem and psychology in A levels after taking advice from you....I did O levels from Beaconhouse and will continue A levels from there....I am just worried if these O level grades are enough to get into medical collegue or shud i reappear in Math and Chem....my grades were:
Eng and Pakstudies : A stars
Biology,Physics,Urdu: A
Chemistry ,Isl : B
MAth : C
Do u think i should reappear to get a better percentage of o levels or are these results enough?

Your results are good you need Straight A in Phy, Chem and Bio or A*, A and B and you will get HSSC equivalency and admission in Govt Medical colleges and universities only thing you need is to nail the admission test and have quaid-e-azam to generously donate if you know what i mean.
As far as Private Colleges and Universities are concerned you will have to physically go there and ask their student counselor /officer about their requirement as i told you last that they are allowed to maintain their own requirements.
try to get straight A's just to be sure because competition is tuff it is not about just meeting the basic requirements but being on top as they only take a limited no of students.

Reaction score
Your results are good you need Straight A in Phy, Chem and Bio or A*, A and B and you will get HSSC equivalency and admission in Govt Medical colleges and universities only thing you need is to nail the admission test and have quaid-e-azam to generously donate if you know what i mean.
As far as Private Colleges and Universities are concerned you will have to physically go there and ask their student counselor /officer about their requirement as i told you last that they are allowed to maintain their own requirements.
try to get straight A's just to be sure because competition is tuff it is not about just meeting the basic requirements but being on top as they only take a limited no of students.

Okay :) Thankyou so much :D

Reaction score
AOA.
Sir my O Levels Result is as follows:
English Language A*
Mathematics A*
Add. Maths. A*
Urdu A
Physics A*
Chemistry A
Computer Studies A*
Islamiat A*
Pak. Std. A*
Statistics A*
Commerce A*
French A
Now, I've taken General Paper, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Business Studies at A Level. I wish to do Engineering preferably from UET. After equivalence with these grades do I have a chance for Electrical or Mechanical Engineering?

ABM

Reaction score
AOA.
Sir my O Levels Result is as follows:
English Language A*
Mathematics A*
Add. Maths. A*
Urdu A
Physics A*
Chemistry A
Computer Studies A*
Islamiat A*
Pak. Std. A*
Statistics A*
Commerce A*
French A
Now, I've taken General Paper, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Business Studies at A Level. I wish to do Engineering preferably from UET. After equivalence with these grades do I have a chance for Electrical or Mechanical Engineering?

Your results are excellent you will get HSSC equivalency and admission in UET as per their rules you can check them out at http://www.uet.edu.pk/admission/admissioninfo/index.html?RID=rulesunder also you can call them or go visit them their phone no is on their web site. You also need to nail their admission test.
On a personal note why take so many A level subjects you only need Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics other subjects will not be counted further mathematics will be a plus .

Reaction score
Sir i would b vry grateful if u wud help me..
i have given 3 paprz of urdu,isl nd p.s and i got A,A* and a B in urdu...i wud like to repeat urdu papr in oct/nov papr session this year..i wanted 2 ask if in oct/nov papr i get A in urdu will it b considered in scholarship or not.???

ABM

Reaction score
Sir i would b vry grateful if u wud help me..
i have given 3 paprz of urdu,isl nd p.s and i got A,A* and a B in urdu...i wud like to repeat urdu papr in oct/nov papr session this year..i wanted 2 ask if in oct/nov papr i get A in urdu will it b considered in scholarship or not.???

Every institution has its own scholarship policy but as far as i know A or A* in core papers like for science Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics and for Commerce Economics, Business Studies, Accounting and Mathematics is must. B in non core subjects like urdu is acceptable but get at least A in English.
You will have to inquire about scholarship policy of the institute you want to apply some prefer Straight A's some accept one B in non core papers and so on i have checked websites of different schools KGS does not offer scholarship but financial assistance. Beaconhouse offers scholarship on merit basis you will have to talk with their student counselor and prove that you need it besides having the right grade.

Reaction score
'' to pass Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies and Mathematics along with other required subjects to qualify for equivalence''

does that mean, A* or C n these subjects won't make any difference ?
Starting your O level?
Confused about which subjects to take?
Feel free to contact me for guidance.Also i have uploaded qualifications recognition brochure if you need to ask me any further questions feel free.

Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor
Experienced and Renowned teacher of O levels at Orient Collegiate
Classes of Economics, Business Studies, Maths and Accounts starting from 1st September 2013 and of Statistics 1st December 2013 hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist http://www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi, Pakistan.

ABM

Reaction score
'' to pass Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies and Mathematics along with other required subjects to qualify for equivalence''

does that mean, A* or C n these subjects won't make any difference ?

A lot of people ask me about equivalency so here are the details GCE O and A Level are considered
equivalent to Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) subject to meeting the specified requirements
for various groups:

Pre-Medical Group: Eight O Level subjects (including English, Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies, Physics,
Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology) and three A Levels (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) with minimum E Grade.

Pre-Engineering Group: Eight O Level subjects (including English, Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology or Computer Studies or ICT) and three A Level subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) with
minimum E Grade.

General Science Group: Eight O Level subjects and three A Level subjects are required to qualify for the general science group.

You need only to meet the requirements set above but to get admission in a University that's a different story as they have their own requirements the above applies for taking admission in govt university.I am also attaching a grade conversion chart which students can use to convert their grades.

Attachments

• Grade conversion.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 16

ABM

Reaction score
Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor
Experienced and Renowned teacher of O/A levels at Orient Collegiate
Crash Classes for A2/A level Economics will start from 1st December 2013.
Classes of O level Economics, Business Studies, Maths and Accounts starting from 1st September 2013.
Hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist http://www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi, Pakistan.

Attachments

• Location Map.JPG
    Location Map.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Sir, is it enough to practice past papers as the final preparation for O level Statistics? Or should I do something else?

Reaction score
Sir, is it enough to practice past papers as the final preparation for O level Statistics? Or should I do something else?

First Read a Book, I prefer O level Statistics by James Dean Chalmers
Than Practice Past Papers + For Graphical Answers (not shown in Examminer Report) use Abdul Waris or Zaheer Baig Papers

Reaction score
First Read a Book, I prefer O level Statistics by James Dean Chalmers
Than Practice Past Papers + For Graphical Answers (not shown in Examminer Report) use Abdul Waris or Zaheer Baig Papers

thanks:) I am having the same book, but thanks for those papers really!

ABM

Reaction score

If all the topics in syllabus are clear in your mind then you do not need to attend classes of Statistics like i am giving. so i am assuming that you are expert in the following topics
1. General ideas of sampling and surveys.Bias: how it arises and is avoided.Including knowledge of the terms: random
sample, stratified random sample, quota sample, systematic sample.
2. The nature of a variable. Including knowledge of the terms: discrete, continuous, quantitative and qualitative.
3. Classification, tabulation and interpretation of data. Pictorial representation of data; the purpose and use of various forms, their advantages and disadvantages. Including pictograms, pie charts, bar charts, sectional and percentage bar charts, dual bar charts, change charts.
4. Frequency distributions; frequency polygons and histograms. Including class boundaries and mid-points, class intervals.
5. Cumulative frequency distributions, curves (ogives) and polygons.
6. Measures of central tendency and their appropriate use; mode and modal class, median and mean. Measures of dispersion and their appropriate use; range, interquartile range, variance and standard deviation. Calculation of the mean, the variance and the standard deviation from a set of numbers, a frequency distribution and a grouped frequency
distribution, including the use of an assumed mean. Estimation of the median, quartiles and percentiles from a set of numbers, a cumulative frequency curve or polygon and by linear interpolation from a cumulative frequency
table. The effect on mean and standard deviation of adding a constant to each observation and of
multiplying each observation by a constant. Linear transformation of data to a given mean
and standard deviation.
7. Index numbers, composite index numbers, price relatives, crude and standardised rates.
8. Moving averages. Including knowledge of the terms: time series, trend, seasonal variation, cyclic variation. Centering will be expected, where appropriate.
9. Scatter diagrams; lines of best fit. Including the method of semi-averages for fitting a straight line; the derivation of the
equation of the fitted straight line in the form y = mx + c.
10. Elementary ideas of probability. Including the treatment of mutually exclusive and independent events.
11. Simple probability and frequency distributions for a discrete variable. Expectation. Including expected profit and loss in simple games; idea of a fair game.
If you have clear concepts of all then you need only to practice past papers of Abdul Waris. If all the concepts are not clear then attend classes.

Sir Abdul Basit Mianoor

Experienced and Renowned teacher of O levels at Orient Collegiate.
Economics, Business Studies, Maths, Stats and Accounts
Hurry up call now 0321-3890420 or vist www.facebook.com/abdulbasitmianoor
G-1 Al-Rehman square Opp.Sharfabad Govt school, Near Abid Mirath Kabab House Karachi