• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

GCE O'level English M/J 2014

Reaction score
Personally, i like to keep dialogues to a minimum became t examiners expect very formal language from the candidates. Dialogues tend to be more informal and I feel its difficult to make an effective,adrali pumping story by including a lot of dialogues. My avg mark for creative writing in school exams is 26+ and I rarely include dialogues.....
cud u post any example of ur writing plz

Reaction score
People l need to know of the correct use of punctuation.I often find difficulty on when to use a comma,semicolon,exclamation mark,hyphen etc therefore can anyone guide me on how to correctly use them.Furthermore,in paper 2 do we have to write the answers in our own words or we have to copy from the passage in section 2(comprehension part).finally,the last question in which we have to write the meanings of words do we have to wright from our knowledge or we have to analyse the meaning through the actual passage(and what is implicit and explicit meaning)????
Hoping to see a reply soon (y) :)

Reaction score
People l need to know of the correct use of punctuation.I often find difficulty on when to use a comma,semicolon,exclamation mark,hyphen etc therefore can anyone guide me on how to correctly use them.Furthermore,in paper 2 do we have to write the answers in our own words or we have to copy from the passage in section 2(comprehension part).finally,the last question in which we have to write the meanings of words do we have to wright from our knowledge or we have to analyse the meaning through the actual passage(and what is implicit and explicit meaning)????
words are to be analysed from the text....not the actual meaning....

Reaction score
For paper 2 (passage 2), there are two things which takes up your 25 marks; IMPLICIT MEANING AND EXPLICIT MEANING.

Explicit meanings: (which are clearly stated/told. No need for any distillation)
Implicit meanings:(which are not clearly stated. Which does not really mean what it looks/in which literal meanings should not be paid attention/which needs to be distilled)
For explicit meaning(which is CLEARLY stated), you need to find the answers straightforwardly from the passage. The answer to these types of questions are well-stated in the passage itself, but you can do further distillation if you wish.
For implicit meaning, you need to go beyond the literal meanings. You need not to just look on what the passage describes, rather you need to go deeper into the meaning.
For example,
"By shrewdly capitulating at the crucial moment, he tried to fill him in."

N
ow here, the weaker candidates would have gone towards the literal meaning of the sentence. That, by examining the current situation, he took him inside/grabbed him inside etc. Whereas, those with greater skills, would have identified that it meant, by examining the current situation, he tried to give him a chance/opportunity etc.

As far as writing own words questions are concerned, yes they do come , but specifically. Along with writing in own words, you also need to identify keywords(UP TO 2) and write your answer including their synonyms while explaining the answer(in own words) completely.

Reaction score
Fast tips on summary writing anyone??????
write bout ten r lesss thn ten words for each points......use connective words....use synonyms ..........or change the whole sentence according to it...make it short.......very short.....but not very very short.....hope u understand the range of shortness between very an very very....heh......

Reaction score
write bout ten r lesss thn ten words for each points......use connective words....use synonyms ..........or change the whole sentence according to it...make it short.......very short.....but not very very short.....hope u understand the range of shortness between very an very very....heh......
Connective words add to the length so wouldn't it be better not to use them?

Reaction score
Connective words add to the length so wouldn't it be better not to use them?
no rather thn starting new sentences(proper sentences0 using connective words would shorten the whole sentences together...like using connective word to cover two points in one sentence.....although it does matter how u use it....sumtime they may add to the length.....