• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further maths

Reaction score
Hi im planning to take further maths as an a level subject next year privately ...any advice on how i should prepare for the exam (i am self studying)which i have chosen to take on the oct/nov session2013...i am juggling my other three subjects along with it..chem,phy,math..im taking my AS in may/june and my A2 in oct/nov..any tips or ideas how i can do this..any i was wondering whether Further Maths IB books like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Mat...4664/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356109541&sr=8-3) are relevant resources for CIE Further Maths course..any help would be greatly appreciated.. =D.

worried student.

Reaction score
I dont think u can do further maths by only self studying unless you r a real genius :p

Reaction score
Self-studying Further Maths is a very arduous task. It is possible to achieve a good grade in it without a teacher, but the fruit at the end is not really worth the hard work you'll put in it. Almost no university in Pakistan requires or even give the due credit to this subject (In case you apply in Pakistan). There is no value of it in Americas (Both USA and Canada) either. The only place with an actual requirement of Further Maths are universities of England and that too only in the top universities. So I won't recommend you to take up this task but in case you are really enthusiastic about Mathematics and you really have a lot of interest in it, then this is the perfect challenge for you even if you don't want to pursue Mathematics in the future.
Check out this thread http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/further-mathematics-post-your-doubts-here.9742/. There is no specific book for CIE Further Maths nor there are any good notes. You'll have to work your way through using the CIE syllabus and by solving past papers. But guidance is really important in this subject. And I'm speaking from experience here. I had to think twice before bunking an FM class. So best of luck with it. Make sure your other subjects don't suffer because of this.