• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Another question. How do we tell the axis of symmetry of a polar graph?
Like I've learnt that if it's a function of cos only then it will be symmetrical about theta=o . And if sin only, it will be about theta=pi/2. Is this correct?
Besides that, I've seen a past year question. cos(2theta-3pi/4) +1/surd2. And was asked for axis of symmetry. The answer is theta=3pi/8. I know from the marking scheme that to get that we equate (2theta-3pi/4)=0 and solve. Do we do the same for others also? What if it was something like sin(2theta-3pi/4).. Do we still equate it to zero and solve or equate to pi/2 or?

Thanks alot. :)

Reaction score
9231/23/MJ/13
Q9 (Last part) Why only the y-int is affected (divided by k)? What's the concept behind this? When and what values will be affected when divided/multiplied/added/subtracted??
Q10 (iii)&(iv) Don't understand the mark scheme, how do you get and AP and how to continue from there?
:confused:

Reaction score
9231/23/MJ/13
Q9 (Last part) Why only the y-int is affected (divided by k)? What's the concept behind this? When and what values will be affected when divided/multiplied/added/subtracted??
Q10 (iii)&(iv) Don't understand the mark scheme, how do you get and AP and how to continue from there?
:confused:
It is important you understand how to do iii and iv
Find attached my solutions. Good luck on Friday ;)
I think Q9 (last part) may be wrong, Stats is not my strength haha

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • image2 (4).JPG
    image2 (4).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Reaction score
It is important you understand how to do iii and iv
Find attached my solutions. Good luck on Friday ;)
I think Q9 (last part) may be wrong, Stats is not my strength haha
Could you also show me steps and explanation for Q4? For the same paper.. Appreciated :)

Reaction score
Can someone send me notes on Poisson distribution and negative exponential distribution?

Reaction score
Here you go. Read my hint:
Did you put the negative sign for the force towards A only because it acts towards LHS and you take LHS direction as negative? Or is the negative sign of another reason? Can I put it for the force towards B instead? :unsure:

Reaction score
Did you put the negative sign for the force towards A only because it acts towards LHS and you take LHS direction as negative? Or is the negative sign of another reason? Can I put it for the force towards B instead? :unsure:
You will but then your force will be negative (it depends on your sign criteria), so you'll get a negative value on RHS in the end
I was going to do it like that but then I thought making the force -ve would only confuse you

Reaction score
You will but then your force will be negative (it depends on your sign criteria), so you'll get a negative value on RHS in the end
I was going to do it like that but then I thought making the force -ve would only confuse you
Ahh okay.. Get it now.. Thanks! :D

Reaction score
For questions like 9231/21/MJ/14, Q5, when do we take the total mass to act at mid-point of AC? So far the questions I've done doesn't. It adds up all mass from different distances from the axis of rotation, but for this question it takes total mass to act at mid point.. When do we do this?

Reaction score
For questions like 9231/21/MJ/14, Q5, when do we take the total mass to act at mid-point of AC? So far the questions I've done doesn't. It adds up all mass from different distances from the axis of rotation, but for this question it takes total mass to act at mid point.. When do we do this?
You have to take the mass as acting at the mid-point. If you did each part of the system independently it would yield the answer, but it would be much much longer. If you take it about the centre you'll get the answer straight away. Good luck tomorrow