• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Nope! Had to ask my teacher! If I sat for that paper, I probably would have answered 3.
you are very lucky you have a teacher !! i doing it solo :p XP are you sitting for next june ? or did you already take the exam ? what grade did you get if so ?!

Reaction score
can some one please help me with the proof in :june 06 p1 question 4 ??? I understand but according to the ER it is incomplete and i should use the fact that m is non singular . help please :D

Reaction score
Hi!I need help for w03 p2 no.6, the 2-tail test.... plz plz plz!!!!
First state the null and alternate hypothesis. H0: pop. mean=4.58 and H1: pop. mean not equal to 4.58. We use t-distribution with degree of freedom n-1=9. The value of t for 5% level is 2.262. We reject H0 if our calculated value of t is greater than 2.262. Now calculate the sample mean and the unbiased estimate of pop. variance from the data and calculate the value of t and compare. See what you get.

Reaction score
The velocity of projection is of C which is at a distance of 3a from K. So first find the angular velocity which comes out to be sqrt(g/(5a)). Then simply use the energy conservation to get the work done against resistance which is the sum of rotational kinetic energies and potential energies at the top. This turns out to be 40mga/3. Use it again such that twice of it equals the rotational kinetic energy at the top(the potential energy term cancels out as there is complete rotation). As the velocity of projection is v the square of angular velocity is v^2/(9a^2). The answer is finally 6*sqrt(ga).

Reaction score
I need help with this question, for the last 3 parts: http://gyazo.com/9cd183e160d6f7b3d8d955af90523aa3
The mark scheme says I need to know formulas for s_3, s_4, s_5, s_-1, ∑αβγ, and I don't know they had formulas. I can't find them on the internet, my teacher doesn't know anything about this topic and my further maths book is helpless. The only ones I know are for ∑α, ∑αβ and αβγ. If anybody could tell me the formulas first and help me solve this question I would be trully grateful.
I don't know of any formulas but just a few techniques. Simply substitute alpha in the equation and and multiply the whole equation by alpha^n and doing this for all the four roots and adding them together we get the required expression. This is the main technique through which you get the values required in later parts.
There is however formula for S2 but I dont know any others. S2=S1^2-2(summation ab) where summation ab is the sum of the products of two roots.
So for part (i) you can use the above formula or replace x with sqrt( y) to get S2 and repeat that for S4 but it is tedious.
For part (ii) put n=-1. You can calculate S-1 easily . So this way you get S3. For S5 put n=1 and the rest is simple computation.
For the last part, here your understanding is tested. First of all you see in the first term, there is no alpha cubed. So replace the three cubes with S3-alpha^3 and the same for the other three terms. After some manipulation you will get S3*S2-S5. Use the previous results to get this answer.

Reaction score
it means that intial ( ke + pe + ee) - work done against friction and other resistive forces = final (ke + pe + ee )
I hope that helps , if it doesnt , try searching about conservation of energy :)
Can you please solve this problem : q2

Attachments

• 9709_w12_qp_53.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
it means that intial ( ke + pe + ee) - work done against friction and other resistive forces = final (ke + pe + ee )
I hope that helps , if it doesnt , try searching about conservation of energy :)
If that will take your time just tell me how to use it . . . !:('
sometimes they add and sometimes minus . . .

Reaction score
Guys please i need some one who would add me on face book to help me with some problems concerning cie further maths

Reaction score
The average number of kicks is 3 right? This answer would be correct if the question did not mention that the other guy gets an extra kick when ons of them scores . So you have to add 1 to the mean.
I sent you a friend request and you didnt accept yet :( please accept me because there are a few things i need help with

Reaction score
Can anyone post your complete workings (not mark scheme) for paper 1 & paper 2, whichever past paper set? e.g. 11 oct/nov 2011 + 21 may/june 2011 :p