• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Math Students… In Here

Reaction score
I’m currently taking A2 Mathematics and I’m finding it enjoyable :!: . So I’m wondering of taking further mathematics and though you could help. I’d like to know your opinion about it. Is it interesting? Is it challenging?? Is it looong?

Also, please tell me:
  • I know it has mechanics and statistics along in one paper. I’ve taken M1 and M2. Which means I have no idea about statistics. Is that a problem?
  • Won’t we take this in Engineering at university anyway? So why are you taking it?!
  • I don’t think many people get this far. How crowded is the exam room/hall?

Thanks in advance.
Good luck in your exams ;)

Reaction score
Further maths can give you an edge over many ppl if you're applying in the UK in particular. There are not many candidates for it so its not heavily crowded. You'll have to do statistics anyways and that will mean greater work load. Its a challenging subject. But if you're good at maths + can be regular and give it proper time. Go after it. Then it won't be more dangerous than your ambitions.

Reaction score
Are you studying Further Maths Zo?

You should only get into Further Maths if you are good in maths and like the subject dearly. Plus you should have ample time to practice it!

Reaction score
Q: Is it interesting?

Depends on your interests. If you enjoy Math and thinking abstractly, and also study it with a proper concept you will find most topics quite interesting. (Some topics are pure works in technicality and long and tedious equations though, like complex numbers).

Q: Is it challenging?

Yes, it is quite challenging, especially in the beginning but at the same time, rewarding. Once you get the hold of it and practice enough, it won't be anymore.

Q: Is it long?

Hell yes it is. One of the most time consuming subjects you will take up. It NEEDS to be given a lot of time and attention if you want an A.

Q: I know it has mechanics and statistics along in one paper. I’ve taken M1 and M2. Which means I have no idea about statistics. Is that a problem?

On one hand it will greatly benefit you that you have taken M1 and M2 since more students face problems in the Mechanics part of Paper 2 than in Statistics. You will have an advantage in that aspect. On the other hand, when you do statistics you will need to learn some things like finding Standard Deviation and Variances. These are quite easy though. Other and (relatively) more difficult things you'll have to learn will be all the probability distributions in S1 AND S2. Although it can be covered without much problems. S1 can be completed in a week anyway.

Q: Won’t we take this in Engineering at university anyway? So why are you taking it?!

If you are good at something, why not study it? You'll already know a lot of things in university.

Q: I don’t think many people get this far. How crowded is the exam room/hall?

One of the advantages of this subject. Not many students in class and if you're teacher is fun, you will get to know him really well and class will also be really fun. It was for us at least. In my hall there were about 35-40 students only.

Anyway, good luck and if you have anymore questions, post em!

Reaction score
Thank you ahsanxr, Zohaib and MAVtKnmJ for your help and time. I've got another question though! :mrgreen:
From looking through the syllabus and the three-hour past papers, it seems very interesting. I can see that it's long and a challenging subject.

Assuming it's taken all by itself and studied with ambition:
How much time do you think is needed to complete the Further Mathematics syllabus with sufficient practice?

Reaction score
You can give an exam anytime you want! And I'd say aleast 3 months of practice and thorough syllabus completion to score an A!

Reaction score
Yeah 3 months is good, since that's all what I have!
I am grateful for your help Zohaib Sherazi and MAVtKnmJ.

Anyone want to add something?

Reaction score
yaar fr fmaths u cnt rely on books
thr is no book in the market tht covers the syllabus entirely
a good fmaths teacher cn make ur life ez :D
coz honestly speaking, fmaths is easy
its juz lack of books covering all the concepts n techniques tht makes it look tuff
wen actually thrz too much standardisation in fmaths
so look out fr the best fmaths teacher in ur city
n u will b good :)
3 mnths r enuf

Reaction score
on the second thought, y dont u gv fmaths next year in june? :eek:
u will hv more time to practice
n it wont make ur life a hell :D

Reaction score
I disagree about 3 months being enough. 3 months are enough if that is the only thing you're studying and even if it is, you'll have to put in a lot of effort (considering you don't have a stats background either). Theoretically it can be done in 3 months but a lot of superhuman effort will be needed. Otherwise I'd say that you will need at least 5-6 months, and even then you'll have to work hard. Further Math concepts take some time to sink in. Mastery of Mathematics 9709 also helps.

Reaction score
Easiest A Level: Maths
Hardest A Level: Further Maths

Don't assume because U are good at maths, U can do FM, it is freaking hard!

Reaction score
anillatoo said:

u mean we cant do by ourselves!!!
?

Reaction score
anillatoo said:

I have to disagree with that.

According to statistics "Travel and Tourism, Sociology, Law, Islamic Studies, Geography etc" are the lowest A scoring subjects. The percentage of people gaining an A in these subjects is less than 14 altogether whereas people gaining an A in Further Maths alone have a percentage of 18.7!

So it definitely is a hard subject but not the hardest! Maybe that's because only those students take up this subject who enjoy maths and are confident that they will be able to do good in it ;)

Nevertheless, if you want to score a high grade in such lengthy+difficult subject then you definitely need an expert teacher to guide you according to the relevance of the syllabus. You definitely can teach it yourself but only if you plan to give it in 5-10 years hahah

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
Maybe that's because only those students take up this subject who enjoy maths and are confident that they will be able to do good in it ;)

Exactly. Only a small minority of students take up this subject and those who do are, for the most part, hard working, intelligent and good at Math. And yet only 18% of them score A's. While the other subjects are so mainly not so much because of difficulty, but because a lack of good teachers and a lack of books/notes availability etc.

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
Nevertheless, if you want to score a high grade in such lengthy+difficult subject then you definitely need an expert teacher to guide you according to the relevance of the syllabus. You definitely can teach it yourself but only if you plan to give it in 5-10 years hahah

lol i found the last line amusing =D
yes fmaths is not doable on ur on coz of lack of books tht cover the syllabus fully
u may be able to do all the chapterz frm the buk n in the end u will realise tht half of the things u did werent evn in the syllabus :D
n wateva u did was of rudimentary level fr the cie fmaths
so a good teacher is a must

Reaction score
unless ofcourse, u dnt hv a life (tht is no extra curriculars, no hangouts etc )n r ready to spnd all of ur time wid fmaths
so dare not do it without the guidance of some1
with a good teacher the subject wont b tougher than chem/phys :)

Reaction score
dudeeeeee.......this aint right.....just depends on how much tym u gv it,....n if u noe simple maths all b4 studying FM, then it becomes quite easy....i hav studied FM just for less then 1 year...bt still m expecting a C or D....n i bunked half the lessons at skule.. :p