• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Listening , Paper 4 Revision

Reaction score
Here are some audio tracks for past paper 4 exams that I have found : ( 1 )

To download ,right click then choose save as file / save to disk ( according to your browser or operating system )

Here are some points and tips you should take care of during the examination : ( 2 )

Make use of the last 2 blank papers , these will serve your rough work and they will be really handy when in doubt of an answer. Skim read the questions and underline the keywords like 'How much does it cost for a flower bouquet ?' and remember that the audio track might be something like ' She bought three flower bouquet for fifteen dollars ' unfortunately we will have to approach our Mathematical part of the brain.

The first part of the Exam requires brief answers , like one word ( How old is he , He is fifteen years old ) and the sentence in the audio track will be repeated Twice ( Mary ate a chocolate . . . . . . . . . Mary ate a chocolate ).

The second part will be something like an interview , a talk , a conversation or a monologue ( one person speaking ) a bit longer than the first part , the audio track will be repeated. You will see a chart , read it and try guessing. During the audio track you might hear indirect questions that refer to something , for example a question referring to nationality , it would give a question like ''You are not English , are you?" , if you hear a word , not sure of its spelling , write it down and do not worry about spelling , unless it will give another word with a complete different meaning.

In the third part , which is the difference between the core and the extended , the core will be something like ticking True or False . ( use rough ) , but in the extended it will ask for short sentences as answers for some questions , you will need to read to read the introduction to know what you are going to hear , then read the questions quickly and underline the keywords , read it once again after you are done , when you start listening focus on who is speaking and what is their point of view on the subject being discussed. Read the question carefully then write down what you think is related to the answer ( rough rough rough ! ) , and do the same to the other questions . And remember , try being brief , do not repeat the question's words in your answer! , Answer directly , write a complete sentence using the same tense as the question , You will hear the text twice , continue answering and stop if you are going to hear an answer that you've had problems with or unsure of.

Remember that the answers in a listening exam might not] come in the same order of the questions and the most important thing is that you LEAVE NOTHING EMPTY! , NOTHING BLANK! , SHRED THE PAPER WITH ANSWERS!! and if you are confident about the answer , write it , if you are unsure , wait to hear the sentence again or write your answer in the rough paper and make sure of it between free time ( between the first and the second part for example , or any time you find ) , make sure of your answers in the second repetition.

I will try to add more later and add tips and revision hints as well , if there are any more to add.

If you got any questions , ideas or notions , do not hesitate sharing them with us.

Refrences used :

Reaction score
Hey'! Thanks So muchh! this was really helpful...! :) exams tomorrow, All da best for everyone,,
there is one thing i gotta suggest tho, and tht is guys, when listening to the passage, write half of you answer then and there, dont try to memorize it and write later, just copy down the keywords and finish it when done listening, i bet its gonna help :)
thanks again :)

Reaction score
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD Hodder's Education , IGCSE English as a Second language by Alison Digger BOOK

Reaction score
ASTAR said:
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD Hodder's Education , IGCSE English as a Second language by Alison Digger BOOK

Ah , you can't download a book , you buy it.

Jaliefah said:
Hey'! Thanks So muchh! this was really helpful...! :) exams tomorrow, All da best for everyone,,
there is one thing i gotta suggest tho, and tht is guys, when listening to the passage, write half of you answer then and there, dont try to memorize it and write later, just copy down the keywords and finish it when done listening, i bet its gonna help :)
thanks again :)

Thanks for the hint , Jaliefah! :)

Reaction score
Depends on where you are from , There a bookshop I have heard of in Egypt called Atlas , however I bought mine from Abu Karbal , which is in Qatar , there is Mutannabi Bookshop in UAE , Concerning other countries , I got no idea :)

Reaction score
SuperXDE said:
Depends on where you are from , There a bookshop I have heard of in Egypt called Atlas , however I bought mine from Abu Karbal , which is in Qatar , there is Mutannabi Bookshop in UAE , Concerning other countries , I got no idea :)

there is also al mujtama in saudi arabia,lols i live beside it

hey thx for the tapes but im s angry tht i myslf have forgotten to take it with me during the english practice lesson
it was to really cool to show up such thing tht no one had

Reaction score
Ahmed-Azurus said:
SuperXDE said:

there is also al mujtama in saudi arabia,lols i live beside it

hey thx for the tapes but im s angry tht i myslf have forgotten to take it with me during the english practice lesson
it was to really cool to show up such thing tht no one had

Ahh , Flaunting already !! :p , I am just curious , that Library , Al Mujtama' , does "Physics" from Cambridge University Press exist in it? Cambridge books are better than Hodder's and Collins' in Scientific things , while Hodder's seems to be pretty good with Lingual stuff . . . and the first one on the "DO NOT BUY , IT SUCKS " List would be Oxford's complete Biology , Physics and Chemistry ... they are a Summary of the other books.

Reaction score
do you have the voice tape for May/June and Oct/Nov
ESL Paper 4?

I really need them for my preparation

thx in advance

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!!

here's the link:
English Listening Tracks 1990-2008
All listening tracks from 1990 to 2008 are available here,you cannot download them but still listen to them plus one more thing..this will only work with Internet Explorer It wont work with firefox ..or google chrome!!

It will be good for having practice for listening exam!!
hope this helps! :)