• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English as a second language

Cat

Reaction score
You're welcome :)
Did you not find any notes on these websites?

Reaction score
thank you so much :)
What I need is notes for writing formal and informal
THIS IS FOR INFORMAL...

Jack has received an email from his friend Alice who has moved overseas for her new job. Here's Alice's email:
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your email. It sounds like you're having a great time in London.You asked me to tell you about my new job, so here goes!
Well, for a start, the company I work for now is quite big. There are about 1,560 employees but there's only one guy I really like to hang out with. His name is Peter and he is a pretty cool guy. He's asked me out twice so far and I'm beginning to really fall for him. I'm getting on well with my boss at the moment. I have to ! I'm his executive secretary,you know. He seems to be a really nice man, yet he tends to be rather unreasonable at times! Ah well, I'll survive. Paris is an amazing city which I hope to explore in my free time.
What's up with you? Write soon and tell me everything. I miss you and hope to see you soon. Can't wait to hear from you.

Yours,

Alice
PLAN - INFORMAL EMAIL
1. Greeting : Hi / Dear.....(+first name)
2.Body :
  • thank your friend for his / her email and say why you're writing
  • make sure you answer all of your friends questions
3. Closing:
  • ask what your friend is doing
  • express hope to see him/her soon
4. Signing off:
  • Yours
  • Love
  • Lots of love
  • Your friend
followed by your first name.
Useful closings:
  • What's up with you?
  • What's happening with you?
  • I miss you.
  • Write soon.
  • Can't wait to hear from you.
  • Hope all's well with you and yours.
TIP
Use an informal, chatty language but avoid electronic language (e.g. how r u? what's 4 dinner tonight?). This is definitely not English!
The following phrases may help you achieve the right tone:
(a) Greeting
Hi Bobby / Dear Bobby
(b) Opening
I'm sorry I haven't written for such a long time but I've been really busy lately
Thanks for the email. It was great to hear from you.
I thought I'd drop a line to ....
I haven't heard from you for a long time and I thought we could catch up on our news.
Hey! I've given you up for lost. What's up?
it was great to hear from you (hear from someone = have news)
I was very glad to catch up with you (catch up with someone = learn someone's news)
Sorry for the delay to get back to you but I've been really busy lately. I'm jammed up with work. (=too much work)
You asked me to tell you about _____ so here goes!

( c ) Main Body (useful expressions)
- you won't believe ....
- you'll never guess....
- believe it or not ....
- by the way ....
- in fact ...
- hey! cheer up!
- don't let it get you down
- listen. don't worry too much about it
(d) Closing
- that's all for now
- I must love you and leave you! I've got homework to finish. Write back soon.
- Take care
- Have a lovely day / week
-Say hi to Sue
- Remember me to your mother
(e) Sign-off
Love
Lots of love
Yours
PLANNING AN INFORMAL LETTER
1. Greeting : Hi / Dear + first name
2. Say why you are writing
3. Suggestions / advice / questions and perhaps some more details.
4. Conclusion / closing remark (see phrases above)
TIP - Always make sure you have answered the examiners' prompts appearing at the bottom of the task!

Reaction score
Formal Letters
Dear Sir or Madam ààààà Yours faithfully
thank you so much :)
What I need is notes for writing formal and informal

Dear Ms Waters ààààà Yours sincerely
Use a formal tone: this affects your choice of vocabulary and grammar. For example, the first text below would not be appropriate in a formal letter, whereas the second would be:
Hey
I saw some stuff in your mag about activities for kids and I just wanna say that the activities in this town suck. I mean what are we supposed to do in the evenings?
Dear Sir or Madam
With regard to your recent feature on leisure activities for young people, I would like to make a few suggestions. Firstly, there is a clear shortage of playing fields with the result that many children play football in the road, which is dangerous. Secondly, …

Reaction score
Can you please let me know what topics you got? it will help me prepare for my orals next week.