• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Edexcel IAL A2 Biology JUNE 2015 Pre realeased Material- SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE

Reaction score
One of the easiest things to do is go through the article and link in different topics from the rest of the course (including AS topic). That gives you a start on what topics to make sure you understand well e.g. paragraph 6 mentions anabolic steroids - what are steroids? How do they work? How do they get into cells? How do they change gene expression? Para 7 mentions beta blockers which work on the heart - what do you know about the cardiac cycle and how it is controlled? If it blocks synapses, how do synapses work?
Also (sounds obvious, I know), but make a vocabulary list of scientific and non-scientific words from the article e.g. heed, litigation, collude, anabolic.
You can do a lot of this by yourself without waiting for a list of questions, that aren't guaranteed to come up anyway.

Hi Dr. Bob

Do you have any tips for unit 6B? What should we pay attention to? Any predictions?
How should I answer question 3? Thats probably the most difficult one?

Thanks so much! Have a nice day!

Reaction score
Hi Dr. Bob

Do you have any tips for unit 6B? What should we pay attention to? Any predictions?
How should I answer question 3? Thats probably the most difficult one?

Thanks so much! Have a nice day!

There is another thread where we have been talking about a lot of the Unit 6 stuff (https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/biology-edexcel-unit-6.37025/). Have a look there - I think we covered most things.

No, I don't just do predictions - too risky!!!:confused:

Reaction score
Assalam O Alaikum...

Here is the article for Unit 5. What are your opinions about it?
Any proposed questions?
It is about using Drug in Sports etc.
I think it is better than gce article as Thats about "Zombie Cockroaches"
Assalam O Alaikum...

Here is the article for Unit 5. What are your opinions about it?
Any proposed questions?
It is about using Drug in Sports etc.
I think it is better than gce article as Thats about "Zombie Cockroaches"
Assalam O Alaikum!! Can u please upload o send me d proposed questions??? I have no way of buying it.... this is my email ID [email protected]

Reaction score
Assalam O Alaikum!! Can u please upload o send me d proposed questions??? I have no way of buying it.... this is my email ID [email protected]
Don't sweat it over the proposed questions I bought them and they are not really worth it ... they are not even exam style questions and the syllabus was not in the mind of the writer when she wrote them. They are like an explanation for the article more than real proposed questions and the contain many extra useless information that is not in our syllabus ... check the previous years' questions for free from edexcelbiosolutions and you will see how much these questions are'nt exam oriented