• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

EDEXCEL A2 BIOLOGY UNIT 6B

Reaction score
Thanks....tell me any thing I have to read from u 4 n unit 5 for unit 6 practical? ??
No, nothing specific. They can ask you about any type of experiment, so as long as you have a good grasp of the experiment design principles (variables etc), then that's as best as you can do. You will need to know all the core practicals from AS and A2 though, for Q1 from Unit 6B.
Other than that - DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Percentage cover is usually the easiest to work with, if you are using quadrats with plants.
yo dr. bob you know for q 2d they normally ask about why we cant draw valid conclusions. Sometimes they ignore large sample size and overlapping range bars? how come? how do we know when to write that and when not to?

Reaction score
yo dr. bob you know for q 2d they normally ask about why we cant draw valid conclusions. Sometimes they ignore large sample size and overlapping range bars? how come? how do we know when to write that and when not to?
Yes, it's a bit weird. I think the safest things seem to be to look at the variability of the raw data - is it really spread out (high SD)? If so then the experiment is fairly unreliable and any conclusions are a bit shaky. Especially if the means/medians are very close.
Sample size should usually be taken into account with the type of statistical test you are using, so I would avoid using that.
Sorry, not much help, but this is a tricky mark to get.

Reaction score
It was tricky...tell me in q 2 did u mentioned zero in ur average value. ...??wht was the ans to tht antibiotics one last q of q 1???

Yes you have to include the zero's.
I cant recall correctly, but was it about the safety?

Reaction score
I wanted to ask about this one too !!! ( the ribosomes question I mean ) besides what were the limitations and the preliminary work in Q3 ??

Reaction score
The one of related to ribosomes? ?
Oh yes! I said that it attaches to the ribosome, thereby inhibiting the translation of mRNA into proteins and enzymes. Since proteins and enzymes are now made/made less, the bacteria cannot grow or reproduce.

I dunot know if its right. can someone confirm?

Reaction score
I wanted to ask about this one too !!! ( the ribosomes question I mean ) besides what were the limitations and the preliminary work in Q3 ??

Limitations could include, first of all, the generic statement that its difficult to control all variables affecting the d.v. You could also say its hard to judge the end point, where DCPIP turns from blue to colourless especially if its a dark juice. there's genetic variation in vegetables. or something of the sort. what did you write?

Reaction score
Limitations could include, first of all, the generic statement that its difficult to control all variables affecting the d.v. You could also say its hard to judge the end point, where DCPIP turns from blue to colourless especially if its a dark juice. there's genetic variation in vegetables. or something of the sort. what did you write?

Almost the same. I mentioned the idea that it is impossible to control the natural genetic variation in the vegetavles , difficult to control the factors affecting the vitamin C concentration and the point of not being able to determine the end point acurately

What about the preliminary work ?

Reaction score
Oh yes! I said that it attaches to the ribosome, thereby inhibiting the translation of mRNA into proteins and enzymes. Since proteins and enzymes are now made/made less, the bacteria cannot grow or reproduce.

I dunot know if its right. can someone confirm?

Ur answer is r8☺

Reaction score
Yes.....howz ur chem?????

At first I thought, oh its a good paper. Then I was like maybe nahh it wasn't that good. Losing all those small marks will add up and become significant. I can only hope unit 4 and unit 5 are better.

How about you? :) Whats your next exam?