• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics: Post your doubts here (O + A level)

Reaction score
first of all, you must be able to understand the requirements of questions.. for example most questions ask to 'discuss'.. this means that you should presents points for both sides
if you are uncertain on how to make a start for your answer, you can start by describing briefly any terms that appear in the question.. like if the question speaks of aggregate demand, you can define it in your answer.. and often(most of the times) it is crucial to end the answer with an evaluation. Evaluation shows that you are completely aware about the topic... remember evaluations are not simply opposite of what you wrote in the body of the answer but they represent different views.. for example an increase in investment can help to increase aggregate demand, increase employment and growth.. but it can also lead to an increase in price levels causing demand-pull inflation and thereby the problems of inflation can take place. But then again this rise in price level may not persevere if the investment is succeeds in shifting the aggregate supply curve to the right... another important part of ending is conclusion... you may be awarded one mark if you present what do you support

how you write the body depends on you.. for example if the question is about pros and cons of market system, you can either first write all the advantages of the system and then follow it with the disadvantages or you can counter one advantage with a disadvantage.. it depends on you, however whatever you do, be consistent...

now, diagrams and equations... really important staff for the body of the answer.. the best way of using diagram is by trying to blend them with the answer.. the diagram must form a part of your explanation.. like if you are writing about complementary goods, draw the diagram and refer to it in your answer.. like "..as seen in the diagram, an increase in price from P1 to P2 of good A causes a fall in demand from Q1 to Q2 of good B..".. if you know the equation you can include it.. like the equation for elasticities, multiplier, etc...

and finally I guess.. finish your answer... don't leave it incomplete
thankyou very much this has cleared many confusions for me thnx again

Reaction score
hiii awryt i have some problem in getting the notes that i can easily understand 4 econ so it possible 2 get notes????

Reaction score
how to solve 1b
thanks
as level eco p2

Attachments

• 9708_s07_ms_2.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 9708_s07_qp_2.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Could u please solve AS level 9708 Economics May/June 2011 Paper 11 Q.11

correct answer is a

What would be the change in the volume of rail travel resulting from a 1 % increase in bus fares?
this means the XED is being asked, so the price elasticity of bus fare with the quantity of rail travel is needed
so the answer is a, 0.16%
hope this helps

Reaction score
correct answer is a

What would be the change in the volume of rail travel resulting from a 1 % increase in bus fares?
this means the XED is being asked, so the price elasticity of bus fare with the quantity of rail travel is needed
so the answer is a, 0.16%
hope this helps
Thanx it helped me to understand.

Reaction score
I teach economics, If anyone of you has any problem in this subject, you can ask here. I will be more than happy to help.
hi , this is jessie and i study AS eco. could u tell me how to write an essay for " analys how the wage rate paid might change if labour and product markets more from being perfectly competitive to being imperfectly competitive?" the question is worth 13 markes.

Reaction score
hi , this is jessie and i study AS eco. could u tell me how to write an essay for " analys how the wage rate paid might change if labour and product markets more from being perfectly competitive to being imperfectly competitive?" the question is worth 13 markes.
you said you are doing AS, but as far as I know, the question you have asked is from A2 syllabus

Reaction score
Hi Xenon. Thank you for the reply. Truly appreciate. Also, do you know where i can download past specimen papers for Accounting, Economic and Mathematics?
well no I don't know any sites that provide that but I do know that you should get the specimen paper for economics at the back of the CIE economics book

Reaction score
Hi Xenon. Thank you very much again.
Through 'specimen papers' i actually mean specimen papers like those available at the official CIE website .
(for Chemistry, for example - http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=736).
Noticed that the site has specimen papers for some subjects like Chemistry etc., but not for Economics etc.
And for most of the subjects which have specimen papers listed like Chemistry, Accounting etc., only one year's specimen papers are available.
Just wondered if it is possible to download few years's specimen papers through other sites.

Also, is it possible to download materials which are available for teachers?
The official website only provides them for teachers.
Just wondered if other sites/blogs offer them to students as well?
Would be good practice sources i suppose.

Thank you again
Truly appreciate your replies
I think the specimen papers are mostly released when there's a considerable change in the syllabus or maybe exam pattern, like chemistry had an change in syllabus around 2007, so a specimen paper was released to give an idea how the change was going to be applied

the official website do provide stuffs for teachers notably the question papers just after results are published... I don't what else are available there

Reaction score
Hi

Hi Xenon, thank you very much again.
Well, do you know any sites from which i can download those materials available for teaching (which are posted on the official website for teachers only) ?
Thank you.
sorry but no

Reaction score
Hi

Accounting AS Level, Paper 1, November 2009, Paper 12,
Question 17 (MCQ), the answer given is C.
i am obtaining B as the answer though.
Would anyone mind explaining to me why the answer is B?
Thank you
very much in advance.

Reaction score
Hello sir,can u make a "Guess question paper" for o level may/june 2012 p22 as i am appearing on 9 may.
I would be grateful if u do so.
Thanks in advance