• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ECAT English, Memory techniques for learning words...

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum,
there're a lot of words or even numbers to be learnt while preparing for ECAT, English...
There's a method called the journey method... It can be used to learn words. In it you make up a journey in your mind. then you put words in that journey.
For example, I edit a journey in my head.
There are seven words I want to learn.
1. cliche - a meaning made dull by repitition, e.g. a speech was made boring by cliches such as "strong as an ox"
2. buttress - a support
3. censorious- critic
4. censure - criticize
5. languish - lose animation
6. certitude - certainty
7. candor - frankness
1.I go out of my house. I live in a market, so I walk across the market. While going there, I see , the word "cliche " written and flying almost everywhere and was also on an ox- cart...
2.Then I cross the market, sometimes, I take the route of crossing the stairway pull...( It's like a highway for walkers ) That pull, is supported by huge pillars made of butter that is melting - and so the word "buttress ", meaning support.
3.As I land the pull, there's a vehicle called chinchi. those who live in Karachi might know this... It's like a rickshaw in which many people can sit together... So I sat in a chinchi, and during my journey on that vehicle, a "censorious " man was continuously criticizing his fellow who forgot his home's keys.
4. As the chinchi left me on my destination, every one from that vehicle got up. The forgetful passenger was once again being criticized, or was " censured " by all the people who were passing by.
5. from that point, I have to cross yet another stairway pull, and as I was crossing it, all the things around me stopped suddenly, and in other words, everything around me languished for a moment. ( this one is not a very good job :| )
6. Now I was in the building of my tution centre :| I was taking the stairs that lead upto the compartment. While moving up the stairs, there was written "certitude" "certitude" ... on the wall beside me in bold letters. Then i had certitude/ certainty that I was going in the right building :|
7. As I reached the reception hall, I see two people chatting, imagine in a tution centre, chatting about their daily routine, what clothes they like, what movies they see, etc... They were in other words, very frank to each other. And as they spoke, the words written " Candor " in bold letters were flying out of their mouth.

Using this technique saves time and is very effective too( in the sense that it has a longer life- span of remembering than with the repetitve method, which itself is a very good method ) ... You make a journey of your own, or use any journey that you make on daily basis( which is the better option ), and put words in it... One more thing, the weirder the events , the effective it becomes... hope that helps :)

Reaction score
And once the journey has been made, you can recall the journey anytime, and if you got time, you can recall it many times until you remember the words without needing the journey. :)