• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Considering a-level english language (9093)

Reaction score
Hey pals,
A small question, anyone here did 9093, I would qppreciate recommendation, and if I take english, should I do AS only or A2

Reaction score
Hey pals,
A small question, anyone here did 9093, I would qppreciate recommendation, and if I take english, should I do AS only or A2
I'm intending to take English in AS and A2 for the following reasons :
1. Unis loveeee students who do a lang. , especially an essay based one . Doing full Alevel Eng would improve ur application .
2. It really depends on ur uni course choice . For students doing engineering / medicine , I would NOT recommend English , unless it's taken only till AS or as a 5th or a 6th optional . Rather than eng , science students should opt out for further math as option .
3. Depends on ur uni requirement . If it requires an A or lower in English , JUST TAKE IT TILL AS and concentrate on other subs . This is just my point of view , but overall having eng fully to A2 is useful .

Reaction score
I'm intending to take English in AS and A2 for the following reasons :
1. Unis loveeee students who do a lang. , especially an essay based one . Doing full Alevel Eng would improve ur application .
2. It really depends on ur uni course choice . For students doing engineering / medicine , I would NOT recommend English , unless it's taken only till AS or as a 5th or a 6th optional . Rather than eng , science students should opt out for further math as option .
3. Depends on ur uni requirement . If it requires an A or lower in English , JUST TAKE IT TILL AS and concentrate on other subs . This is just my point of view , but overall having eng fully to A2 is useful .
Actually, I am interested in American and Canadian colleges, there they value social subs and languages, so even if you opt in for engineering they would like to see languages

Reaction score
Actually, I am interested in American and Canadian colleges, there they value social subs and languages, so even if you opt in for engineering they would like to see languages
Well then I suppose go for it . However , it'd b better if u go for a modern lang such as French or german in Alevels , if u have studied em b4 . These foreign langs will u give u a b8r edge in USA / Canada colleges .

Reaction score
Hey pals,
I took english at the start of the year but dropped it. IMO, english is simply boring and tough at AS level but whether you would like the subject depends on you(check the syllabus). Other than that, universities do give preference to students who take a 4th subject from the humanities or social section(that's if you're planning to do a major in sciences). I dropped english and took psychology as a 4th subject so yeah... Overall, it would be better if you tried a different language which is common and useful like french, mandarin or spanish(languages spoken by a big population), or you could take a 4th subject that's totally different and you haven't studied it before like psychology, sociology or global perspectives. The point of studying a completely new subject/language you haven't studied before is to show universities that you are diverse and that you have knowledge on lots of different areas(for example if you took 9 different subjects in o levels and a completely new subject+3 old/traditional subjects for a levels shows that you have a knowledge on 10 different areas).

Reaction score
I took english at the start of the year but dropped it. IMO, english is simply boring and tough at AS level but whether you would like the subject depends on you(check the syllabus). Other than that, universities do give preference to students who take a 4th subject from the humanities or social section(that's if you're planning to do a major in sciences). I dropped english and took psychology as a 4th subject so yeah... Overall, it would be better if you tried a different language which is common and useful like french, mandarin or spanish(languages spoken by a big population), or you could take a 4th subject that's totally different and you haven't studied it before like psychology, sociology or global perspectives. The point of studying a completely new subject/language you haven't studied before is to show universities that you are diverse and that you have knowledge on lots of different areas(for example if you took 9 different subjects in o levels and a completely new subject+3 old/traditional subjects for a levels shows that you have a knowledge on 10 different areas).
Agreed.