• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computers & ICT: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Well that's the old pattern. All i find about hashing in our syllabus is

i)describe how serial, sequential and random organisation and access to files may be implemented using indexes and hashing as appropriate
bro i found the answer to my question in example candidates response 2011 ,, the question about hashing algo

Reaction score
bro i found the answer to my question in example candidates response 2011 ,, the question about hashing algo
Was the question repeated in 2011? As i said before, i haven't done the past papers yet. But it should not be in the syllabus anymore...Anyway, the hashing algorith could be devised in a number of ways.. There would be no set way...One could be

From the last three digits, multiply the first two and add the third to it or something like that :p I am not sure if that would work

Reaction score
Was the question repeated in 2011? As i said before, i haven't done the past papers yet. But it should not be in the syllabus anymore...Anyway, the hashing algorith could be devised in a number of ways.. There would be no set way...One could be

From the last three digits, multiply the first two and add the third to it or something like that :p I am not sure if that would work
better do pastpapers .. if u are gona do Computing this may :D

Reaction score
as level student here can anyone tell me can we use c# (c-sharp) for programming language in p2? coz the syllabus says any high level programming language but i cant find many solutions using c#!

Reaction score
as level student here can anyone tell me can we use c# (c-sharp) for programming language in p2? coz the syllabus says any high level programming language but i cant find many solutions using c#!
If you want to learn C#, then do use it. I am sure it would be completely acceptable, as vb.net and C# are almost the same thing, except the syntax :p However if you want to make things easier for yourself, that is if you want to compare your answers with the mark schemes, then go for VB6, Python etc the ones you can find in the mark scheme

Reaction score
If you want to learn C#, then do use it. I am sure it would be completely acceptable, as vb.net and C# are almost the same thing, except the syntax :p However if you want to make things easier for yourself, that is if you want to compare your answers with the mark schemes, then go for VB6, Python etc the ones you can find in the mark scheme
are you 100% sure? anyone used c# in computing 9691 paper 2?

Reaction score
If you doubt me, ask around the forums. Someone must have used it. Anyway, here is what the syllabus says.

"Candidates will be expected to be able to program in a language to be chosen by the Centre but the advice
is that the language chosen should be procedural. In all cases the logic will be of more importance than the
syntax."

P.S C# is a much newer language than VB6 and even C++. If they both are allowed, i see no reason why C# would not be allowed.

Reaction score
Don't know much detail, though i do know it is used in protocols. The protocols are made from layers of rules, with layers corresponding to different rules, so that it is easier to make alterations, add new ones perhaps... I am not completely sure though, i still have not started the past papers :p
bro can u explain recursion with the use of stacks pls :(

Reaction score
it was ... anyway reursions are usually used wit a stack and its a real headache :sleep::notworthy: paper 2
What do you exactly mean recursion with stacks? If you are talking about general recursion, than i don't know whether the computer forms a stack when going deeper in the code with each loop. But thinking over it, maybe the computer does recursion by making stacks, pushing in the first run of the recursive code, and once it reaches the last value, it would start popping.... But i don't know if that is how it works :p

Reaction score
But if you meant using stacks instead of a recursive piece of code, than i am pretty sure what i stated above is how it should work. Though i don't know the code of course :p

Reaction score
What do you exactly mean recursion with stacks? If you are talking about general recursion, than i don't know whether the computer forms a stack when going deeper in the code with each loop. But thinking over it, maybe the computer does recursion by making stacks, pushing in the first run of the recursive code, and once it reaches the last value, it would start popping.... But i don't know if that is how it works :p
we usually place returning addresses of recursion in a stack - try may/june 2012 ppr 22
But if you meant using stacks instead of a recursive piece of code, than i am pretty sure what i stated above is how it should work. Though i don't know the code of course :p
no i meant using stacks to place return addresses of recursion

Reaction score
we usually place returning addresses of recursion in a stack - try may/june 2012 ppr 22

no i meant using stacks to place return addresses of recursion
I still don't see any question that specifically asks for this, but here is what i found on the internet

"
Recursive functions behave that way too! Thus, fact(3) calls fact(2) which calls fact(1) which calls fact(0), the base case. I call this phase the winding of the stack.

Once fact(0) is done, it goes back to fact(1), just like it would for non-recursive functions. When fact(1) is done, it goes back to fact(2). When fact(2) is done, it goes back to fact(3). When fact(3) is done, it goes back to whoever called fact(3). I call this the "unwinding" of the stack.

During the winding of the stack, you are making progress towards the base case. Basically, you're trying to get to the base case, solve the base case, and slowly grow your solution back as you go though the unwinding part of the recursion. Thus, winding heads to the solution of the base case, while unwinding typically grows the solution from base case back to the original call."

Reaction score
If you doubt me, ask around the forums. Someone must have used it. Anyway, here is what the syllabus says.

"Candidates will be expected to be able to program in a language to be chosen by the Centre but the advice
is that the language chosen should be procedural. In all cases the logic will be of more importance than the
syntax."

P.S C# is a much newer language than VB6 and even C++. If they both are allowed, i see no reason why C# would not be allowed.
ik what the syllabus says :p ok thanks