• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Anyone please help me with V and W ? Shouldn't Oxygen be replace with O-H bond ? View attachment 62717 View attachment 62718

In this question test 1 is for the basic identification of whether the substance is an amide or amine. Since M does not react with the acid, this means that the substance must contain an amide group (it is neutral). Since the only other group we know containing nitrogen is amine, and it would react with the acid, we can safely assume the other substances all contain an amine group. In terms of test 5, it can test for either a hydroxy group, an acid, nucleophilic substitution or hydrolysis. remember that either an acid or an alkali can be used in hydrolysis. For the reaction with M, you should be able to see that the amide has hydrolysed into phenylamine and sodium propanoate.

EDIT: My bad, this is for the second question

Reaction score
In this question test 1 is for the basic identification of whether the substance is an amide or amine. Since M does not react with the acid, this means that the substance must contain an amide group (it is neutral). Since the only other group we know containing nitrogen is amine, and it would react with the acid, we can safely assume the other substances all contain an amine group. In terms of test 5, it can test for either a hydroxy group, an acid, nucleophilic substitution or hydrolysis. remember that either an acid or an alkali can be used in hydrolysis. For the reaction with M, you should be able to see that the amide has hydrolysed into phenylamine and sodium propanoate.

EDIT: My bad, this is for the second question
Thanks for that

Reaction score
Why is the percentage uncertainty in 1 C (ii) is 3?
I got 1%

Attachments

• 9701_m17_qp_33.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
bro please help.... i have posted the question above this post..........
(0.5-0)/50 = 0.01 x 100 = 1%
We used the measuring cylinder to transfer 150cm^3 of Hydrogen Peroxide so each time there is an uncertainty of 1% . In this case , it's 3 times so it's 3%

Reaction score
The answer is A....
Take a look at bond angle X, the Nitrogen atom makes three bonds which suggests us that the bond angle should be around 120 degree but don't forget about the lone pair on Nitrogen atom which pushes the bonds even closer to each other as lone pair to bond pair repulsion is more significant. So angle X would be around 107 degrees.
Now If we talk about angle Y, there're are four groups attached to Carbon atom so it makes tetrahedral structure with a bond angle of 109.5 which is greater than X. Look, this one is different from angle X because it doesn't involve any lone pairs; and bond pair to bond pair repulsion is not as significant as lone pair to bond pair.
Angle Z is totally clear, there's no lone pair on carbon atom and it makes only three bonds among which one is double bond so we expect the angle to be around 120 degrees. Hence the answer is A

Reaction score
View attachment 62748

9701/11 w16

answer is B but how
You may have thought that there would only be 3 isomers instead of 4 isomers, however there is an extra twist to this question: there are two isomers for the variation in which 2 chloro groups are next to each other. The chloro groups may bond to neighbouring carbon atoms that have a double bond between them, or a single bond. In addition to the 2 other isomers with 1 carbon in between and 2 carbons in between, you will get 4 isomers instead of 3.