• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey if someone could clear one or more of these syllabus points for me, it would be really helpful... :)
-how much do we need to know about biodegradability of polymers?
- I was unable to find drawn diagrams of primary/secondary/tertiary structures of protein in any marking scheme... If someone could provide me with the 3 diagrams with the bonding shown as we have to draw them in exam.. it would be great :D
-electrophoresis diagram as shown in marking scheme (a 3d diagram) is really tough to draw... can we draw a 2D one.. with everything labelled?:)
Edited the quote above^^
Discussed few points with friends so those are clear. Only these remain! Please help!! thanks!!

Reaction score
Edited the quote above^^
Discussed few points with friends so those are clear. Only these remain! Please help!! thanks!!

>Biodegradable polymers are the ones that can get hydrolysed when an acid is added to them, you don’t have to know much, just know if any bond that can be hydrolysed in the polymer then its biodegradable, also know the advantages of biodegradable polymers over non-biodegradable ones
-Biodegradable plastics take less time to break down
-Renewable
-Good for the environment (no environmental harm)
-Require less energy to produce
-Easier to recycle
-Non-toxic

Thats it…

>Hmm primary structure is basically just the basic sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide
url

Secondary is the alpha helix and beta pleated sheets (I have never seen a question where they asked to draw this though)
url

And tertiary is the 3D structure including the 3 bonding (Hydrogen, disulphide and ionic interactions)
url

>Yes its okay, as long as everything is clear, and is fully labelled they will give you the marks :D

Tell me if you don't get any of the above^^

Reaction score
Edited the quote above^^
Whoops I don't know why the pictures aren't appearing!
Can you see anything? And how do I make them appear :confused:

Reaction score
>Biodegradable polymers are the ones that can get hydrolysed when an acid is added to them, you don’t have to know much, just know if any bond that can be hydrolysed in the polymer then its biodegradable, also know the advantages of biodegradable polymers over non-biodegradable ones
-Biodegradable plastics take less time to break down
-Renewable
-Good for the environment (no environmental harm)
-Require less energy to produce
-Easier to recycle
-Non-toxic

Thats it…

>Hmm primary structure is basically just the basic sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide
url

Secondary is the alpha helix and beta pleated sheets (I have never seen a question where they asked to draw this though)
url

And tertiary is the 3D structure including the 3 bonding (Hydrogen, disulphide and ionic interactions)
url

>Yes its okay, as long as everything is clear, and is fully labelled they will give you the marks :D

Tell me if you don't get any of the above^^
You're a life saver :D thanks a lot!
the images are not visible.. try lowering the size maybe? you can do that through paint.. then resize.
The question came in s08 p4... Q8

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're a life saver :D thanks a lot!
the images are not visible.. try lowering the size maybe? you can do that through paint.. then resize.
The question came in s08 p4... Q8
Haha! Glad to know! and anytime :D
And oh really, I will check that out :D

Its not working :s

Well basically the primary one is just the aminoacid with the amide link (covalent bond) joining them
Secondary the a helix is coiled with hydrogen bonds holding the structure, Beta is the same, but less extensive hydrogen bonds
Tertiary is the 3 bondings I mentioned above.
Type on google images and you can see how do we draw the disulphide, hydrogen and ionic interaction...

Reaction score
Haha! Glad to know! and anytime :D
And oh really, I will check that out :D

Its not working :s

Well basically the primary one is just the aminoacid with the amide link (covalent bond) joining them
Secondary the a helix is coiled with hydrogen bonds holding the structure, Beta is the same, but less extensive hydrogen bonds
Tertiary is the 3 bondings I mentioned above.
Type on google images and you can see how do we draw the disulphide, hydrogen and ionic interaction...
Thanks! got it! Good Luck!(y)(y)

Reaction score
For the reaction conditions of diazotisation, should we write the temperature as a range as in ms like " Temp <10° C " or do we write a specific temperature like " Reaction should be carried out at 5°C" ?

Reaction score
In China, the concentration of blood glucose, C6H12O6, is measured in mmol / l . In Pakistan, the concentration of blood glucose is measured in mg/ dl. The unit l is a litre (1dm3 ). The unit dl is a decilitre (0.1dm3 ). A blood glucose concentration of 18.5mmol/l indicates a health problem. What is 18.5mmol/l converted to mg/ dl?
A 33.3mg/ dl B 178mg/ dl C 333mg/ dl D 3330mg/ dl can someone solve this?

Reaction score
In China, the concentration of blood glucose, C6H12O6, is measured in mmol / l . In Pakistan, the concentration of blood glucose is measured in mg/ dl. The unit l is a litre (1dm3 ). The unit dl is a decilitre (0.1dm3 ). A blood glucose concentration of 18.5mmol/l indicates a health problem. What is 18.5mmol/l converted to mg/ dl?
where is this from? o_O

Reaction score

Converting mmol/l to mg/dl

First, focus on changing mmol to mg
mass (milligrams) = millimoles x Mr = 18.5 x 180 = 3330 mg

Next, change l to dl
1 l = 10 dl

Therefore 18.5mmol/l = 3330 mg/ 10 dl = 333 mg/dl