• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Oct/Nov 2016 p42 question 8(d) pls help... how do I determine the number of protons in the table from the graph?

Reaction score
upload_2017-5-12_17-53-2-png.62126

can some plzz explain?
9701_w16_qp_41

Reaction score
Feb/March 2016 p42 question 9 (c) part ii, how do we figure out the number of different dipeptides that can be formed in the reaction between 2 amino acids (T and U)?? Is there a generalized easier way rather than to have to draw all of them out one by one?? Pls help.

Reaction score
View attachment 62133
is there any rule for this kind of cis trans isomerism?? how to deduce the isomer structures? View attachment 62134
I have the same query. Been trying since days but I can't figure out how do we determine which is the cis and which is the trans isomer in 6 coordinate complexes and how to draw the structures??
It's called 'fac' 'mer' isomerism. Because around the metal, the 6 ligands form an octahedron which can go in 3 different different directions so form 2 different isomers.
First you need to understand that there are 3 directions and really imagine them in your head this way, when you look at the complex.
Simple line --- plane of the paper
wedges --------bonds towards the viewer
dashed --------bonds away from the viewer

In the mer isomer, the three similar ligands define a meridian of the octahedron. Meridian is like the imaginary circle that runs north to south (like on the earth's surface, from the North Pole to the South Pole). So in the 'mer' isomer, we start, for instance, in the plane of paper, then the 2nd similar ligand is towards you, then the 3rd similar is again in the plane of paper. Imagine going through that, you will find you just made the 'mer' of octahedron.
fac mer isomerism.jpg
Like in the image, the isomer labelled mer has Cl ligands in 2 different directions (in plane of the paper and going away from you)
Similarly, in mer isomer, the ligand H2O goes in 2 different directions.

Reaction score
View attachment 62133
is there any rule for this kind of cis trans isomerism?? how to deduce the isomer structures? View attachment 62134
I have the same query. Been trying since days but I can't figure out how do we determine which is the cis and which is the trans isomer in 6 coordinate complexes and how to draw the structures??

In the 'fac' isomer, the similar ligands define the face of octahedron, which will run in 3 different directions. Like in the image, you can see one Cl ligand goes in the plane of paper, one out, towards you and the 3rd in (away from you). This makes the face of isomer.
To draw the two isomers, just draw the 'fac' isomer first, by making 3 directions and putting each same type of ligand in different direction. Then to make 'mer', just alternate one type of ligand in one direction with the other type in another direction. Like over here, you just alternate The H2O in plane of the paper with the direction towards you, which makes the H2O go in just 2 directions instead of 3 and do similarly with Cl.
There's a lot of imagination of directions required here so even if you can't do that, just remember 'fac' will have each type of ligand in 3 directions while 'mer' will have each type of ligand in 2 directions.

Reaction score
In the 'fac' isomer, the similar ligands define the face of octahedron, which will run in 3 different directions. Like in the image, you can see one Cl ligand goes in the plane of paper, one out, towards you and the 3rd in (away from you). This makes the face of isomer.
To draw the two isomers, just draw the 'fac' isomer first, by making 3 directions and putting each same type of ligand in different direction. Then to make 'mer', just alternate one type of ligand in one direction with the other type in another direction. Like over here, you just alternate The H2O in plane of the paper with the direction towards you, which makes the H2O go in just 2 directions instead of 3 and do similarly with Cl.
There's a lot of imagination of directions required here so even if you can't do that, just remember 'fac' will have each type of ligand in 3 directions while 'mer' will have each type of ligand in 2 directions.
I was writing the whole thing, and halfway through found out you did already :ROFLMAO:(y)

Reaction score
It's called 'fac' 'mer' isomerism. Because around the metal, the 6 ligands form an octahedron which can go in 3 different different directions so form 2 different isomers.
First you need to understand that there are 3 directions and really imagine them in your head this way, when you look at the complex.

In the mer isomer, the three similar ligands define a meridian of the octahedron. Meridian is like the imaginary circle that runs north to south (like on the earth's surface, from the North Pole to the South Pole). So in the 'mer' isomer, we start, for instance, in the plane of paper, then the 2nd similar ligand is towards you, then the 3rd similar is again in the plane of paper. Imagine going through that, you will find you just made the 'mer' of octahedron.
View attachment 62140
Like in the image, the isomer labelled mer has Cl ligands in 2 different directions (in plane of the paper and going away from you)
Thanks that helped A lot!!

Reaction score

View attachment 62140

genuine thnx
May u b blessed

Reaction score
t
You need to consider

Fe3+ + e --> Fe2+ E= +0.77
V2+ + 2e --> V

2Fe2+ + V --> 2Fe2+ + V2+

Fe3+ + e --> Fe2+
V3+ + e --> V2+

Fe3+ + V2+ --> V3+ + Fe2+

Fe3+ + e --> Fe2+
VO2+ + 2H+ + e --> V3+ + H2O

Fe3+ + V3+ +H2O --> 2H+ + VO2+ + Fe2+

Now you can see that for the conversion of V to VO2+, you need 4Fe3+ which yield 4Fe2+. Combining the equations, you get this:

4Fe3+ + V3+ H2O --> 2H+ VO2+ + 4Fe2+
thanks alot (y)

Reaction score

View attachment 62140
Wow! :D AMAZING! That cleared so many doubts!

Reaction score
Hey if someone could clear one or more of these syllabus points for me, it would be really helpful... :)

-21.3. b)Explain the significance of hydrogen bonding in pairing of bases in DNA in relation to replication of genetic information.

-e) Discuss how polymers have been designed to act as:
i)non solvent based adhesives e.g epoxy resins and superglues
ii)conducting polymers e.g polyacetylene

-Also how much do we need to know about biodegradability of polymers?

- I was unable to find drawn diagrams of primary/secondary/tertiary structures of protein in any marking scheme... If someone could provide me with the 3 diagrams with the bonding shown as we have to draw them in exam.. it would be great :D

-electrophoresis diagram as shown in marking scheme (a 3d diagram) is really tough to draw... can we draw a 2D one.. with everything labelled?

sorry, i know this is a lot to ask on the last day :p these were the only topics left where i am having issues. Even if you could clear one of these points, that would be great :)

Reaction score
9701/w16/41
qtn 5 (c)(i) how to find the relative peak area
(d)(i)
need explanation for these two parts....