• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Thanks! Okay so I get why it's J but then this small doubt :p
upload_2016-1-31_18-11-40-png.59077

So rotating G would look like that so can you explain how when "you rotate G the COOH which is coming out of the plane of paper would now go into the plane of paper"
Because according to the diagram on rotation it would be along the same plane of the paper... :p
Thanks! Okay so I get why it's J but then this small doubt :p
upload_2016-1-31_18-11-40-png.59077

So rotating G would look like that so can you explain how when "you rotate G the COOH which is coming out of the plane of paper would now go into the plane of paper"
Because according to the diagram on rotation it would be along the same plane of the paper... :p
See basically in your diagram what you're doing is shifting the groups in two dimension however in reality it would be the three-dimensional model the whole bond along with the group would rotate.So on rotation of 180 degree the bonds that go in come outwards and those that come out intially go inwards, however the ones along the plane remain intact.I can imagine it would be hard to visualize so basically let's say this diagram images.jpg R2 would be COOH, NH2 would be R1 and R3 is H.So if you visualize rotating it you should get J.:)

Reaction score
upload_2016-2-4_16-29-22.png
upload_2016-2-4_16-29-45.png
Can anyone please help me out with the apparatus of the above question?:)

Is is 2012 paper 52 summer session
Marking scheme
upload_2016-2-4_16-31-1.png

Reaction score

Ligands must be able to donate a pair of electrons since they form a dative covalent with the central atom of whatever they are bonding to... which can only be done by NO3- (Nitrogen lone pair) and the other long molecule (It has Nitrogen with lone pair again). In NH4+ the lone pair on nitrogen is already donated to the extra Hydrogen and in BF3, B doesnt have any lone pairs either.

c ... what exactly should I explain? :p

Reaction score
Ligands must be able to donate a pair of electrons since they form a dative covalent with the central atom of whatever they are bonding to... which can only be done by NO3- (Nitrogen lone pair) and the other long molecule (It has Nitrogen with lone pair again). In NH4+ the lone pair on nitrogen is already donated to the extra Hydrogen and in BF3, B doesnt have any lone pairs either.

c ... what exactly should I explain? :p

how do we get those answers?? :p