• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Aoa everyone. Can somebody please guide me to A2 topical worksheets? I mean question papers? It is difficult to check for a specific chapter in every paper.

Reaction score
guys does anyone know where can I find june 2015 mark schemes for AL Chemistry ?? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
2 is acceptable because the overlap of the orbital of the H and I atoms produces a longer bond length thus bond strength is lower. Less energy is then required to break the H--I bond. 3 is incorrect because any decomposition requires the input of energy(endo).

1 is correct too right? And why do H and I atoms produce a longer bond?

Reaction score
1 is correct too right? And why do H and I atoms produce a longer bond?
Yes, 1 is correct.
HI forms longer bonds than HCl, because the valence electron of Iodine is much further away from the nucleus than the valence electron of Chlorine.
Longer bonds are weaker, simply because the nuclei of the atoms forming the bond are far away from the shared electron pair, and thus have weaker attraction to it, and so can be easily broken.
Hope that made sense

Reaction score
Yes, 1 is correct.
HI forms longer bonds than HCl, because the valence electron of Iodine is much further away from the nucleus than the valence electron of Chlorine.
Longer bonds are weaker, simply because the nuclei of the atoms forming the bond are far away from the shared electron pair, and thus have weaker attraction to it, and so can be easily broken.
Hope that made sense
Yeah it Did THANKS =)

Reaction score
The shell of a chicken’s egg makes up 5% of the mass of an average egg. An average egg has a

mass of 50 g.

Assume the egg shell is pure calcium carbonate.

How many complete chicken’s egg shells would be needed to neutralise 50 cm3 of 2.0 mol dm–3

ethanoic acid?
So we are neutralising ethanoic acid using calcium carbonate:
2CH3COOH + CaCO3 --> (CH3COO)2Ca + H2O + CO2

Moles of ethanoic acid = 50/1000 * 2 = 0.1mol
Moles of CaCO3 required = 0.1/2 = 0.05mol
Mass of this CaCO3 = 0.05*Mr(CaCO3)= 5g

So we want 5g of eggshell.
Mass of average eggshell = 50g*5% = 2.5g
Number of eggshell required = 5/2.5 = 2 eggshells

Hope that was helpful :)

Reaction score
I don't understand the concept behind s,p,d sub-shells and orbitals and also the Aufbau principle. Can any please explain the basics?