• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
y must it belong from Group 3 because all atoms do not have 3 electrons in there outer shells. it must belong to period 3

Reaction score
question regarding reduction of chromium, the answer is D because in Cr2O3, u have to do +6/2 for the oxidation no. of chromium

Reaction score
Reaction score
why is A the right answer? :eek:
why would C decolourise AQueous BRomine?
Haven't we learnt that only alkene ( out of all the homologous series) decolourises aq bromine and it is a universal test for alkene as well:/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hi please tell me why have we used the equation Fe 3+ + e -----> Fe 2+ in this question and not the equation of fe3+ given in data booklet?
Thanks
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, how can I prepare for my chemistry A-level exams? Iam currently revising the chapters of the book. I am worried because I haven't yet started solving past papers.

Reaction score
Hi, how can I prepare for my chemistry A-level exams? Iam currently revising the chapters of the book. I am worried because I haven't yet started solving past papers.

AS level or A2 ? Without making any delays , start solving the past papers...Refer the mark scheme .....Keep revising the organic part cz majority of the paper is based from that part so make sure you dont lose much of the marks from those questions.
Once you're done with these ,then start practising P5.

Reaction score
Hi please tell me why have we used the equation Fe 3+ + e -----> Fe 2+ in this question and not the equation of fe3+ given in data booklet?
Thanks
View attachment 50786

Bcz in the question its clearly given that the final colour of the solution is Blue which means , at the end we are left up with fe+2....definately then we'll use the equ in which iron +3 will reduce to iron +2 rather then using the other equ....
Hope you have got it ..ryt!

Reaction score
AS level or A2 ? Without making any delays , start solving the past papers...Refer the mark scheme .....Keep revising the organic part cz majority of the paper is based from that part so make sure you dont lose much of the marks from those questions.
Once you're done with these ,then start practising P5.
I am taking both AS level and A2, my major problems are with the practical papers. I am retaking chemistry AS level this year, along with the A2. Last year I scored 2 A's in my theory papers and a U grade on my practical paper. Have you got any suggestions on how I study both P3 and P5?

Reaction score
why is A the right answer? :eek:
why would C decolourise AQueous BRomine?
Haven't we learnt that only alkene ( out of all the homologous series) decolourises aq bromine and it is a universal test for alkene as well:/

Question says "Will NOT de-colorized bromine..

Does Chlorine overtake Bromine gas O-o? strange!

Reaction score
Bcz in the question its clearly given that the final colour of the solution is Blue which means , at the end we are left up with fe+2....definately then we'll use the equ in which iron +3 will reduce to iron +2 rather then using the other equ....
Hope you have got it ..ryt!
Isn't the colour of Fe 2+ green?

Reaction score
Kc=[Products]^n/[Reactants]^n
Kc is only affected by temperature temperature in the question is the same and therefore the value of kc is the same.
Suppose x moles of ethanoic acid have been used up at equilibrium. The number of moles of ethanoic acid left will be 0.5-x.For every mole of ethanoic acid that is used up, the same number of moles of ethanol will have gone, because they react 1 to 1. There will be 1.0 - x moles of ethanol left as well. For each mole of ethanoic acid that gets used up 1 mole of ethyl ethanoate and 1 mole of water are formed. So if x moles of ethanoic acid are used up, x moles of ethyl ethanoate and x moles of water will be formed but be careful we already have initial moles of both products,add them up.
now use the expression above.
Kc=[CH3CH2CO2C2H5][H2O]/[CH3COOH][C2H5OH]=[0.1+x/v]^2/[0.5-x/v]^2=4 V cancels out and take the square root of both sides.
o.1+x/0.5-x=2 2(0.5-x)=(0.1+x) 1-2x=0.1+x 3x=0.9 x=0.3
0.1+0.3=0.4
0.5-0.3=0.2