• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY PAPER 3 DOUBTSS!!

Reaction score
--> Place a small spatula measure of FB 5 in a boiling tube, add a 1cm depth of dilute hydrochloric acid and warm the contents of the tube gently.
Observation : FB 5 + HCl: effervescence/ fizzing/ bubbling gas pops with lighted splint

-->Place small spatula measures of FB 5 and FB 6 in a single boiling tube. Use a test-tube holder to hold the tube. Add a 2cm depth of aqueous sodium hydroxide. CARE
Observation: FB 5 + FB 6 + NaOH: vigorous / violent/ exothermic / great/ extreme/ lots of and effervescence/ fizzing/ bubbling gas/NH3 turns (damp) red litmus (paper) blue.

How do we identify FB 5 is???

Fb5 is Al or Zn (s)
Is there a logical way to deduce this???

--> "Al and Zn reduce NO3- to ammonia in basic solutions"?

I searched, found out that this reaction is called "a nitrate test using Devarda's alloy", but there is no specific description of the process in our syllabus so how do the examiners expect us to know this!!

Reaction score
--> Place a small spatula measure of FB 5 in a boiling tube, add a 1cm depth of dilute hydrochloric acid and warm the contents of the tube gently.
Observation : FB 5 + HCl: effervescence/ fizzing/ bubbling gas pops with lighted splint

-->Place small spatula measures of FB 5 and FB 6 in a single boiling tube. Use a test-tube holder to hold the tube. Add a 2cm depth of aqueous sodium hydroxide. CARE
Observation: FB 5 + FB 6 + NaOH: vigorous / violent/ exothermic / great/ extreme/ lots of and effervescence/ fizzing/ bubbling gas/NH3 turns (damp) red litmus (paper) blue.

How do we identify FB 5 is???

Fb5 is Al or Zn (s)
Is there a logical way to deduce this???

--> "Al and Zn reduce NO3- to ammonia in basic solutions"?

I searched, found out that this reaction is called "a nitrate test using Devarda's alloy", but there is no specific description of the process in our syllabus so how do the examiners expect us to know this!!
it may be an old paper

Reaction score
i think markscheme is probably wrong here,i did it using both methods to calculate the value of x,using the no of moles found using ur method the answer for x came as 6 which should be acceptable while with ms method the answer was very high like 300 which is wrong.

Reaction score
i think markscheme is probably wrong here,i did it using both methods to calculate the value of x,using the no of moles found using ur method the answer for x came as 6 which should be acceptable while with ms method the answer was very high like 300 which is wrong.
its 0.08
u r right increased by a power of 10
ms must be wrong